live-bait tank

jack

Yes I know the subject has been done to death before, but

I intend to produce such a tank [even though we have one built in,Total crap ]

I have "searched" out all the previous tips,but am left with a few questions.

I intend to use a 60ltr rectangular plastic tank with a hinged double ended lid [already owned].I thought to install a collar all round the inside lip,made from narrow bore plastic tubing,with knuckle corners etc,drilled at intervals to produce a spray onto the water surface.Then it should not matter that my tank has corners,nor which way the water flows.I like the idea of the waste/overflow outlet at the botton edge,but whats to stop all the water running out ?.

Andy won't let me cut any holes in the boat,so we need to put the pump overboard.its a Rule 360.will it have enough guts to pump up from below water,over the freeboard and into the tank.the lift alone would be 4/5 foot ?

The waste is no problem as there are outlet drains under the floor and out through the stern.[we cant use these for intake as they have flaps built into them ].

Any tips or advice on this set-up would be welcome.

This will give me something to do whilst waiting to get back to hauling in fish laugh.gif jack

Jack

Why don't you simply build one the tried and tested way that works?

You do need a round tank and the water will need to circulate clockwise.

Simply putting nice corners in a rectangular tank and spraying water on the top won't make the fish very happy and they will croak it.

A boat the size of yours should really do it properly.

Get a skin fitting and sea cock banged in the bottom of the boat by a pro and then fit a Jansco water puppy inline coming up to hozelock connectors coming in at the transom.

This will allow you to choose to use the same fitting as a deckwash or plug into your livewell as you see fit.

Using the correct shaped tank.

1) Drill several (lots) of 5mm holes around the top rear side, some three inches down. These will act as the overflow and water will either drain through your scuppers if you keep the tank inboard or straight out if outboard.

2) Opposite the overflow holes, plump through a hozelock fitting to allow connection to the new pump fitted at the transom. On the inside of the tank fit a 90 degree elbow that points slightly downward and clockwise.

3) At the very bottom of the tank, as low as you can go, plump in a further hozelock connector with a hose tap on the end. This can be turned on to empty the tank at the end of the day.

Fit the tank in your chosen location with a proper strap and it won't budge.

Job done, easy peasy and happy fishes.

I must say I agree with Tom and most people that use these tanks, that the tank should be round.

It should have no internal objects, to stop the fish swimming. They will die and Rapidly kill the rest. and corners are also usually frowned on for that reason. Some charter skippers get very tense even if you leave the small net in.

My old tank worked great when fed from a 12 volt bilge pump dropped overboard at anchor or drift and lifted into the tank to recycle when underway. If you want to have a look you are welcome, its at home in broadstone at the moment.

The new boat has the deckwash system as described by Tom, with two outlets so it can also be used for the bait tank. It was a much dearer option but has already proved its worth as a deckwash to keep the decks as clean as possible when fishing.

If you want to see that one the boats is at work.

Call me if you want to have a look prior to making your tank and I could take the small one down to the boat.

cheers

Charlie

Thanks so far. We do have a really powerful deck wash outlet ,but Andrew won't let me use it as a bait tank supply,as he worries that it could knock the battery out [although we have 2 built in ] . He say's we would look silly trying to push the boat if it won't re-start at sea.

I take on board your comments re. tank shape.

The tap on the outlet pipe should have been obvious.

I have plenty of time before tank is required,so am open to all comment.

Thanks again...jack

We do have a really powerful deck wash outlet ,but Andrew won't let me use it as a bait tank supply,as he worries that it could knock the battery out [

I have plenty of time before tank is required,so am open to all comment.

Thanks again...jack

Use the deckwash pump Jack. You don't run the livetank 24/7, just when steaming and for short bursts to get some cool, fresh water in.

Jack,

I made mine last year, it is the post towards the bottom of this thread:

http://www.pbsbac.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=6356&hl=

I think the important thing is plenty of fresh water, nice'n'cold\well oxegenated and not too many live baits and no bleeders. I had an un obstructed barrel and I am sure no one told the fish about the ant-clockwise thing - they go up down accross and both ways!

I have a 360Rule pump and it only just has enough pressure to lift water in my boat (probably 4ft). I am looking at changing to an Attwood V500 Bilge Pump (has a head of 10m max and at 3.3ft 350gph and 6.6ft 200gph) cost - way under

You don't run the livetank 24/7

I do! If you use a smaller draw pump like a rule or attwood, they draw so little that they can be run all day without a problem. They are also much quieter than a bif deck pump, and rated to run continuously, plus if they break it's

As an add on to To Rich's comment.

The water circulation is important for pelagic species like mackerel, but less so with Sandeel, Prawn or other baits.

The direction is important and is all wrapped up in science with the "Coriollis effect".

Of course mackerel will survive without the water circulation, but they will not last as long as they need a constant flow over their gills.

Edited by TomBettle

I've been watching and listening to all the live bait tank discussions for over 12 months with a view to building my own and at last I think I've found the perfect tank, see below.

I realise space might be an issue for smaller boats but for those with the room this tank must be the perfect answer.

You could even use it to keep the catch alive.

Any thoughts ?

Dave.

http://www.plastic-oil-tanks.co.uk/acatalo...Loft_Tanks.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circular Water Tanks PC25C Ref: 168020

Height-686mm

Diameter-533mm

25- Galls

114- Ltrs

Price:

My maths were never my strongest point [i wonder sometimes what it was ]

BUT....Won't 60 ltrs of water weigh over 1.cwt.?.

How do you trailed boat men cope with that weight sloshing about at the stern of your vessel,and isn't there a safety issue ?...just wondered. dry.gif jack

On Aquafresh we have a swim platform that the tank sits on.The tank is a round blue plastic 45 gallon drum.The outlet is two thirds of the way up the tank and drains straight into the sea.The inlet is at the bottom of the tank and is made out of 1 inch diameter pipe fittings,a 90 degree angle bend turns in an anticlockwise direction creating a flow that mackerel will happily swim into.We have 2 jabsco high output pumps fitted with through hull skin fittings,these are piped with flexible 1 inch pipes,1 goes to the live-tank the other to the deckwash.When mackerel are scarce the deckwash jet can be sprayed on the water to attract themThe pipes can all be swapped around in case of a breakdown.We run our pump constantly to maintain optimum conditions for the bait.The batteries will be charged when you run up for another drift,however the battery drain is not significant with the set up we have which comprises 2 batteries for the electricals and 1 for cranking the engine.Under no circumstances should any obstructions be in the tank, bait will die quickly if not free to swim.Between drifts drop your hookbait into a bucket of water,1 per angler it saves tangles.It shows no respect to the skipper not to be ready to fish the instant the boat stops,it sounds obvious but you cant catch if your tangled.Never put bleeding baits into the live-tank it will kill the rest.If bait is scarce use the damaged baits as dead baits.We can happily keep 40 baits with the set up we use.For smaller boats keep the principles the same and you will enjoy success with smaller tanks.Mates of ours on a Raider use a 100 litre tank rigged the same way and can keep 20 or so baits very happily.We are very keen on our bass fishing so have have learnt to be keen on bait care.I hope some of this waffle is useful to someone coz my typing finger is knackered

Hi Large fries.

I like the sound of your set-up fine.

we have a bathing platform,

I love the idea of an intake low down on the barrel,

I didnt think the pump would have enough oomph to overcome the pressure of a tank full of water.

There would only be a small lift and the intake pipe length would be minimal.and the overflow could just spill away.

and the final plus is that you lose no inside fishing space.

The only draw back for me is venturing out to get baits,but I have a much younger crew-man for that job.!!

Thanks again,it's all inspirational stuff.!...jack

post-5-1202293855jpg