Bream Comp.

alun j.

Great to be out on such a nice day!!

Today was 'Imagine' 's first trip fishing with Paul Frey as skipper and she was christened with some good fish brought onboard.

Paul was 'playing' with the settings on his new hydraulic tabs on the trip out [boys and toys!] ; we said hello to Gordon and Terry on Enticer as we passed Ballard and continued round the corner and joined a few club boats near Dancing Ledge.

An interesting few hours with plenty of 'steaming' bites pulling our tackle into rough ground and snagging up. Beefing up a bit ...... and we connected with smoothounds to double figures , conger !!, some wrasse and a few bream. As the tide picked up , bites went quieter......... so I suggested a move closer inshore... and this proved the ticket !!...... less tide but still 13 + m. deep. Rough ground and heavy tackle losses but some cracking bream. Best went 4 lb. 1 oz. and several over 3.

No bass today for us........... but I did have a 'bonus' lobster !

Imagine is a great boat to fish from and a lovely smooth ride [ she slid effortlessly through the overfalls on the trip back]...... thanks Paul for the trip; here's to the next.. and many more!

I now have some big bream to descale and prep for the fridge and this week's meals!!

Alun.

PS. All the female bream went back .......in superb condition.... and thickening up with roe.

PS. Paul should be able to post a few pics of the big bream.

If not today , then it will have to be after he's back from his week away.

I hope he records his biggest fish,,,,,,, not weighed on board !

Alun.

Alun,

The biggest fish is definitely worth recording. My best for the day was one of 2lb 9oz but found the bream hard to find today.

If we had fished a species comp then we would have been well in as we had Bream, mackerel, garfish, wrasse, pollock, pout, dogfish.

Lovely day to be out but I had a bad headache all day ( lack of sleep I think ).

Intereresting observation on way back in to Christhcurch. Richard said - "look at that deer" - I couldnt see it at first and then realised he meant the one swimming across from Stanpit to Hengistbury Head !! - We turned around and made sure all the boat traffic could see it. Quite impressive swimmers.

Overdraft headed to C/ ledge fully armed, but we found the Bream very difficult to catch at first. The largish swell made it difficult to present the bait properly, but as the tide eased we managed a total of 13 the biggest to me at 2lb 2oz which was a male. We kept 4 males and returned the rest. When cleaning, 2 of them had been feeding on our burly, hoooray for the bomber!!!!!!!!! We also managed 2 lsd. 6 wrasse. pout & 1 garfish....... An enjoyable day.

Great Day to be out - and thanks for the excellent crewing and company from Alun.

Still dont know why we had two wire trolleys full of gear -beats the familly days out by one trolley!

Memories will be of the drive down to the club with an open bucket of tuna and rice burley, a stinky petrol can in the back - Luvly!! sick.gifsick.gif

Alun didnt mention the double smoothy was caught on fine wire 1/0 hooks

and the Bream we caught was almost first drop - with no Burley!!!

The Bream I took- weighed on the kitchen scales was 3lb 0 oz.

Aluns 4lb + Bream

post-4-1179697124jpg

Edited by Sinbad

Went out on from Christchurch, first time this year, as it was the club's Bream comp so thinking Christchurch Ledge was a good mark both Bill and I headed out

having stopped in the river to allow the low tide to increase before going

over the bar.

Both of us managed to catch our first thin lipped mullet, my fish was the

first at about 1.5lbs and Bill managed to get one that came in a 3.5lbs and

then got another at 3lb! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

We have tried for these before without success but today we managed it.

When the tide had flooded enough to get out over the bar we headed to the

car park on the ledge. Bill and I were into small fish, pout and wrasse and

I managed a single dogfish but no Bream! dry.gif

Came to move but the anchor was stuck fast and no matter what we did it

would not budge, suspect the chain wrapped around a rock when the tide

turned. mad.gif

Shiela Marie was watching and called up on the radio and said he would have

a try for us if I buoyed the anchor off, which we did, just got to wait to

see if he managed to free it. unsure.gif

Coddy

cool.gif

"Awol" had a good day down west with Bream coming in quick order for both Dean and myself from the first drop onwards. We lost count of how many we caught. Best on the boat went to Dean at 2lb15oz with my largest Bream weighing 2lb-12.5oz. Both these fish won prizes in the Poole Dolphins comp. Paul Rowcliffe our guest for the Day ddn't fare quite so well but still managed to bag a pb bream for himself.

A lovely day to be afloat but I'm cream crackered now smile.gif

Martin

BTW Dave Frank did manage to get your anchor back

Winds were light and variable in the morning off Southbourne, some Easterlies 1-2 first off, then Southerly 1-2 and later S-SW 3 in the sea breeze in the afternoon. Back in Poole Harbour, the wind dropped and it was like a millpond for a while. An interesting swell at times too !

Would like to claim a great day's fishing, but we only managed 4 or 5 bream to about 1.5lb, so no challengers for the trophy from Frisky.

Did manage a few other species though, with dogs a plenty, pollack and pout to nearly 2lb, wrasse and a solitary bass of about 1.5lb that was very lean (and naturally returned).

Mike

Gordon and I, on board Enticer, had a good day in my opinion, despite not catching anything big enough to win any trophies. Gordon did have a couple of attacks of the glums when we weren't constantly hauling 5lb'ers over the gunnels but the fact remains that we caught reasonably consistently throughout the day. This was despite a very slow start due to a tacticle error by your truly. We had fish up to 2

Edited by plaicemat

Not much to report in on Whitey Bitey sad.gif

Just a couple of dozen medium sized bream between myself and Tony (conger King). smile.gif

largest went 2.7lb to me biggrin.gif

But also a bonus pb smoothound of 15lb to me biggrin.gif (got a pic if i can put it on) unsure.gif

A very good day to be out

Gary

post-4-1179772328jpg

Edited by Gazza

That's a cracker Gary. I certainly want a few more of those this season.

As Terry said it wasn't a bad day really. My best went 2lb 3oz and on a 100g spinning rod went really well. I got the hump really when for the second time sitting next to Terry his rods are going off one after the other, some great reel churners and I am sat there with out a bite weep.gif

We were using the same rigs, hooks and bait but Terry must have nearly doubled my tally for the day. At best I had a dozen small bream.

Its now getting to the stage where I'm looking at finding myself a really unlucky fisherman to crew for me biggrin.gif

Gordon

It must have been that I wasn't wearing my lucky thong wink.gif

Many thanks to Paul D for a great day out (despite his headache)

The weather was perfect, we had a fly past by a Lancaster bomber, I caught my first bream and was kept busy all day with fish of one description or another. As Paul said earlier we would have done well in a species comp.

The sight of the deer swimming across to Hengisbury head was quite spectacular.

(Would'nt have been any good trying to catch it though as Paul had ommitted to pack a landing net.)

Thanks again.

Rich

Gordon,

Didn't you get any of those smoothies?? We had a few........on really light tackle, they give such an unusual scrap !!......... and we lost several more that ran into the rough ground.

This time last year Terry did much the same to me !!......... and put it down to his red circle worm hooks!! I just think it's down to wind / tide effects, with one side of the boat able to fish it better. Did you see at one point , as the tide changed, boats were all pointing in different directions ??

Perhaps a trip with me next ....... for a big bass somewhere??

Alun.

PS. We enjoyed a lobster starter [ before the bream ] tonight; courtesy of by-catch!!

A slow start for me aboard Slipalong ,

Launched about 9 from Baiter , said hello to Gordon ( Enticer ) and proceeded out of the harbour in a westerly direction . I Wasn't too sure where to go due to lack of Gps but figured that all the other boats going that way must have more of a clue than i have . rolleyes.gif

Arrived at Old Harry rocks to see boats all over the place so found a space and settled down to about two hours of nothing , the only consolation was that most of the other boats were drawing blanks as well , as far as i could see .

I wanted to make a move and was gonna give Dancing Ledge a go but having never been round that far was not to sure if i was biteing off more than i can chew , in an Orkney Strikeliner .

I tried radioing a few people who i new were there but there was no reply so we decided on a run back to Poole patch which eventually got us our first action of the day which ended up with 5 bream up to 2lb and 5 or 6 doggies . smile.gif Oh and a rather sunburnt face , i too forgot the suncream .

Andy smile.gif

PS can anyone tell me how much further round from old harry it is to Dancing Ledge and is it do able in a boat like mine ?