Bream Comp.

alun j.

Andy,

On a day like yesterday........no prob.

From Ballard [ boat park] ....round Anvil Point is about 4 or 5 miles [ or a bit more if you explore marks]. I've been a few times in my Orkney 5 20 [ similar boat], and mine's an open one!

Super area to fish .........if a bit snaggy!.........if the weather is good , as it is exposed to SW; but too uncomfortable as wind goes through South to East!!

Alun.

A slow start for me aboard Slipalong ,

Launched about 9 from Baiter , said hello to Gordon ( Enticer ) and proceeded out of the harbour in a westerly direction  . I  Wasn't too sure where to go due to lack of Gps but figured that all the other boats going that way must have more of a clue than i have .  rolleyes.gif

Arrived at Old Harry rocks to see boats all over the place so found a space and settled down to about two hours of nothing , the only consolation was that most of the other boats were drawing blanks as well , as far as i could see .

I wanted to make a move and was gonna give Dancing Ledge a go but having never been round that far was not to sure if i was biteing off more than i can chew , in an Orkney Strikeliner .

I tried radioing a few people who i new were there but there was no reply so we decided on a run back to Poole patch which eventually got us our first action of the day which ended up with 5 bream up to 2lb and 5 or 6 doggies .  smile.gif Oh and a rather sunburnt face , i too forgot the suncream .

Andy  smile.gif

PS can anyone tell me how much further round from old harry it is to Dancing Ledge and is it do able in a boat like mine ?

Andy

As Alun says you should be fine so long as you pick the weather. I used to go there when I had a Hardy 17 (5.2 metres) and apart from getting a little wet on occasions going through choppy water in the races we were fine.

On your first trip around try to go in the company of another boat. Try and pick weather that has west or north in it. The reason is when you have to come back its more comfortable with wind behind you. There are two places you should be wary of first being Peverill ledge/race. It can get really choppy here in strong tidal flow. Also the ledge comes out a fair way from shore. Sometimes it pays to go offshore a little to avoid the rough water. Second place is Durlston Head, tidal flow here can be fierce which can create a large swell, the tip here is keep in close to avoid the worst.

The above is not meant to put you off but just make you aware of the areas to be wary of. On a good day there is nothing to fear at either these places but when you have wind against tide it can get interesting just as it can in the race off of Old Harry.

Martin

Have taken 6M boat round to Chapmans Pool on first trip out of poole harbour. The races around the headlands were interesting!!!! had to take it quite slow and got very wet at times.

Are there any good marks in that area worth noting? I hope to get out again after half term week and head that way

cheers

Malc

with all those smoothies around, i may be tempted to go for them on sat around sowley. Thats only if its to rough for the 9 miles banks for the blondes, and i think it will be. Anyone wanna bring their boat and buddy up?

Paul D?

Definitely ( In fact I had forgotten about the 9 mile bank trip ).

Sowely sounds good to me.

PD, not quite sure where were heading now, as i have no time to collect crab, but defo getting out somewhere! I may be getting out of Mudeford instead, but i will let you know!

3 boats maybe?

Dat Dam Boat

Gastronaught?

Neo?

Any other takers? Windguru looks good!

Dan,

I am fishing tomorrow ( Thurs ) and windguru looks exceedingly good smile.gif

re: Sat - I am still crewless and happy to fish from Christchurch ( will probably opt for the Wick launch though ) or Lymington.

If you want some hardbacks I could get some on Friday as I am off for the week - let me know.