Who's Fishing?

JIMBOB

Frisky will be out with the usual crew, fishing some usual and less usual marks.

Will have to change plans to avoid catching poor cod and black goby, cos they weren't allowed last time.

10 species is the target then Paul? Bagging up with 4 of each too?

Based on last week's effort, 10 different sizes of pout seems more likely for us.

Mike, Carol and George

Edited by Mike Fox

Well I make that 9 booked in so far and we need at least 10

if anyone is out and were not going to register please do so to ensure we meet the minimum numbers

I find it hard to believe the club has grown so much and we struggle to get 10 anglers on a competition day

according to recent reports the fishing is good, the weather is great and the flexible times mean you can start early enough to watch the football in the afternoon.

So who has a theory as to why so few are entering?

Answers on a postcard please wink.gif

Charlie

I also find it frustrating Charlie - and having discussed it with James today,he also feels the same.

We have less entering now than when I joined and the club is 30% bigger wink.gifwink.gif

One idea we had, and may need discussing at the next comittee meeting is to mix the format between species and specimen on the monthly comps. I personally felt a little frustrated fishing the comp today for small but numbers of fish, when the conditions were perfect for big fish hunting - just an idea.

Adam

Although, in my case, this is not the reason today - I got let down with crew at the last minute, I think you may have something there, Adam. For those of us who travel, not many but keen as mustard, we need to weigh the travel time and expense of our day against the expected catch. If, as is the case at present, there is the possibility of a good day on bass, I am sure quite a few would forego the competition for a concentrated day targetting this, or other, species. Anyway, as you say, a topic for consideration at some later stage.

Terry B.

sad.gif How does the BFM comp work? If it's purely on the species hunt format, then there's very little scoop to change.

The only possiblility is having a 'comp' on certain sunday and it's upto individual which one they want to enter, be it species or specimen. By all mean do both, but then they are limited in their time as to whether they would do well, in both, either or neither .....

sad.gif How does the BFM comp work? If it's purely on the species hunt format, then there's very little scoop to change.

The BFM comp is run how we want it to run ie any club comp is ok. The only thing that matters is the results ie 1st 2nd 3rd etc. BFM then award points for each clubs winners and runners up with scores being cumulative through the comp

Edited by Maverick

I would agree it is a shame that more didn't register for the species competetion.

I find it a fun format, needing skill (and luck) in targetting multiple species, and is a great leveler, allowing the inshore boats a fighting chance against the offshore ones.

I would agree that it can be frustrating - especially as today, when a couple on board had bagged up on bream, but someone else wanted to stay put to get their maximum. Another point of frustration arises as mentioned earlier, when if the fish of one species are feeding well, an "artificial" move to find something else can be irritating when you could otherwise have a great day in one spot.

I like the suggestion of having parallel specimen and species comps - everyone fishes, everyone has a chance, and if the fish are feeding, hey, just stay put and try and get a good one. If only small stuff appears, and you give up all hope of "The Big One", then why not try to get amongst the points/prizes by trying for more variety.

"Both" gets my vote!

Mike

Edited by Mike Fox

There is a lot to discuss but only limited feedback from my earlier post

Please add your thoughts guys as it will be good feedback for the next committee meeting, where I know this will be on the agenda.

feedback on all the Clubs Competions please, inc the 48 hr.

Can the admin team copy this to another post so that everyone gets a chance to see it.

The species comps have been altered several times to try and make them more popular, none of the changes seem to work.

I have always been a specimen hunter and would rather be after big fish than bagging up for points.

That said if the weather is good and the opertunity is there to chase the bigger ones offshore I would still note down the catches and send in a score card.

I seriously doubt that scratching in the harbour will be top prioity on my new boat next season. wink.gif but we will be back supporting the Clubs competitions. biggrin.gif

Don't be shy ph34r.giftongue.gif

If you have a comment good or bad lets have it. laugh.gif

charlie biggrin.gif

Well, fished the species comp on sunday but I would be a liar to say I found it enjoyable. All I could think of were those Bass waiting to be caught ( and I am being serious ).

Personally, I fish for fun first and then will have a dabble in the competitions as they are there. My preference is in that order and moving around to try to catch differing species, I don't find much fun.

Has it been considered removing the "4 fish" limit so as to allow more points for more fish and getting extra points for multiple species.

There again, it is a challenge and some may just love hunting species, but it's not really for me.

PS: If we do change it, I won't have to listen to Gordon moaning that he couldn't catch 4 pollock for love nor money smile.gifsmile.giftongue.gif

The species hunts are fun but require a lot more thought than a normals days fishing .

It does take timing, that's limiting yourself to one or two hours on each mark for each species

Firstly you need loads of different bait,worms, squid, custom 2 hook shrimp rigs, spinners and even peeler.

Then you require an assortment of fishing marks.

Then loads of different rods spinner,12,20 and even 30/50 class gear.

maybe its all just a bit much for some people?

When i fish out of Christchurch i start in the harbour with spinning rods to bag my mullet and bass, then 30 Min's later you can be in 100ft of water on 30lb class gear doing battle with a conger, or drifting a rocky outcrop scratching for Pollock or that bonus gar or gurnard.

To me that's what a species comp is about.But is there any point if only One or two other boats are doing the same?

Personally Ive decided not to put the effort in this year,im just going to do a "normals days fishing" ,I'll still fish them and still book in my catch but I seem to be one of the minority that put in the effort so I think the club should re think the species comps and do some thing that's a bit more mainstream.

like A specimen comp of some sort , we don't yet have a Bass or tope comp(they seem to be everyone's favorite fish) or maybe a conger or huss comp? or even just a monthly monster comp!

so my catch to book in for Sunday ..............

4 Bass( well 8)

4 macky (bait)

3 Pollock(bait by catch)

1 wrasse (jumped on my feathers thinking it was bait) cool.gif

biggrin.gif

James

Charlie,

I fish for enjoyment.

I enjoy competing however at the end of the day I get all too few opportunities to fish relative to my 'investment' and whilst I will always enter any competition if I am out that day including paying an entry, and fish to it's rules, at the end of the day I will stay catching tope if I am enjoying it even if it's a species hunt and I have caught my limit!

48hrs was a good example - whilst the route we took gave us a real chance there was a significanly better plan available. On balance we felt it offered less fun so went as we did - and really enjoyed it but didn't figure in the prizes.

Same with the bream comp - we gave it a go but didn't spend 7hrs chasing the blighters!

Given the numbers of anglers able to fish relatively frequently it is surprising that you can't get 10 entries when the weather is nice (I wasn't on the water btw) however I am not sure it's down to the format every time.

Finaly I have every admiration for the species format - without doubt it enables the better fishermen to shine and, as Mike says, levels the boats significantly.

Duncan

There will obviously be several opinions on what we should or shouldn't have in the way of comps.

For me the main thing in favour of species hunts is that it levels the playing field. By this I mean that the smaller boats which may only be able to travel a mile or two offshore stand as much chance (if not more) of accumulating a winning score as those that go miles out to sea. This I know is not fully understood by some newer members. Had a chat with one such member on Saturday and when the rules were explained to him properly his comment was I could do that.

It will obviously be impossible to please all the people all of the time but we can try. We do have a varied diary of events that can be tweaked if necessary. I do though feel it would be a shame to move away from species hunts completely.

Please keep your thoughts coming forward so we can find a consensus to what if anything needs to change, .

Do remember the club is not just about comps. In fact comps are just an aside that should add a bit of light relief to your fishing. The club is different things to different people so make the most of whatever the club means to you.

Martin

Paul D Posted on June 26, 2006 07:16 pm

Well, fished the species comp on sunday but I would be a liar to say I found it enjoyable. All I could think of were those Bass waiting to be caught ( and I am being serious ).

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif .........someones got that bass bug biggrin.gif ................................there should be a clinic opened for bass addiction,cold sweat,cant work,cant fish for any other fish,cant sleep (without counting bass that is)

oops!

happens to the best of us! blink.gif

James