Navionics App

DaleJ

Good afternoon All, 

fairly new member, joined the club last year and renewed membership this year. Attended my 1st meeting on Tuesday (I was the one who turned up late!!) 

I have an Orkney 520 and looking to get out as much as possible this year. Have limited knowledge of any marks so have downloaded the “Navionics” app hoping to pick up a few marks for different species. Have a Garmin finder/plotter that’s suppose to work well with the Navionics app. 
Do any member have any experience of the app that can offer any guidance? 

appreciate any help or assistance however small you think it might be. 

thanks in advance 

Dale 

boat is called “Canaletto” if you see me about!! 

Hi Dale I am far from technical with plotters etcetera, but some plotters will allow you to connect to them with your mobile phone Navionics app, however just to get you on the mark once you have done your research on your lap top in the comfort of your lounge rather than a rocking boat, the phone is fine and clear as long as you have a signal.

We do have some starter marks on the website. Not knowing your skill level, if basic I would avoid rocky anchorages until you have more experience. The end of the swash channel is always worth a go on an ebb tide.

I have some knowledge, know a couple of marks to drift for plaice and a couple of bream marks, I’d like some marks for Rays, Tope, smuts, ect. Will have a good mooch about when the wind allows and see what I can find. 
had a boat years ago and finding my feet again. I’ve got a couple of good friends in the club that have already offered to share some marks with me which is great. Already bribed one with some venison 😉 

Hi Dale and welcome to the club.

I have updated your forum status to that of Club Member so you should now be able to see all the site which will open a lot more information for you.  As Mal says you will be able to see the starter marks which are mostly general areas but well worth exploring.  Look on your charts to see where they are and whether they are within your comfort zone to travel to.

The best advice so far is to buddy up or at least get to know if anyone is about.

I'm guessing you have a vhf radio and are comfortable using it, if so we all listen to channel 6.  Call up any Poole Bay Small Boats and if any are out they would more than likely respond.  Nobody would give marks over the vhf but may point you in the right direction.  Of course the main function of being able to call up club members is for safety reasons.  Never be embarrassed to make a call if your in a situation where you may need help.  I have responded on several occasions to club boats and have been assisted by members when I have had issues (thankfully not often) This is one of the main reasons the club was formed.

I'm sure you will get responses and offers of help on here, just keep asking questions

Hi Dale,

Good to meet you at the meeting, chatted keepering briefly. I have had Navionics on my phone and Ipad for a few years and it is a real game changer. I have just last week managed to download Navionics onto my Simrad plotter on the boat, but it has taken me a long time, however i am a techy dinasoar!!!! All the above posts are great advice, hopefully see you out on the water when the weather decides to sort itself out.

Jerry

2 hours ago, Maverick Martin said:

Hi Dale and welcome to the club.

I have updated your forum status to that of Club Member so you should now be able to see all the site which will open a lot more information for you.  As Mal says you will be able to see the starter marks which are mostly general areas but well worth exploring.  Look on your charts to see where they are and whether they are within your comfort zone to travel to.

The best advice so far is to buddy up or at least get to know if anyone is about.

I'm guessing you have a vhf radio and are comfortable using it, if so we all listen to channel 6.  Call up any Poole Bay Small Boats and if any are out they would more than likely respond.  Nobody would give marks over the vhf but may point you in the right direction.  Of course the main function of being able to call up club members is for safety reasons.  Never be embarrassed to make a call if your in a situation where you may need help.  I have responded on several occasions to club boats and have been assisted by members when I have had issues (thankfully not often) This is one of the main reasons the club was formed.

I'm sure you will get responses and offers of help on here, just keep asking questions

nice reply Martin thankyou

2 hours ago, DaleJ said:

I have some knowledge, know a couple of marks to drift for plaice and a couple of bream marks, I’d like some marks for Rays, Tope, smuts, ect. Will have a good mooch about when the wind allows and see what I can find. 
had a boat years ago and finding my feet again. I’ve got a couple of good friends in the club that have already offered to share some marks with me which is great. Already bribed one with some venison 😉 

Oh you were responsible for someone sneakily carrying a non marked carry bag out of the meeting.😃

I also find it useful when travelling. A friend that I fish with in Florida does not have a chart plotter or fish finder (surprisingly, not that unusual). I have therefore downloaded the relevant charts at a small cost so when we got caught out by a thick mist I was able to save the day. He was absolutely amazed and has been converted. I think it is just a question of him being 'a certain age', that he has always managed without these aids because he knows his waters and hasn't come in contact with the technology because he doesn't fish on other boats.

Terry.

It's also usefull when friends give you info and you want to check them out away from your boat.

Sometimes these are completely new marks, and at other times they are just a short distance away from known "old marks"

Look at some of the club marks that you can now access. Checking them against navionics should help you see the features.

Of course you could short cut all of this by bribing Members with venison, or taking up offers of trips on other boats.

Charlie

had a boat years ago and finding my feet again. I’ve got a couple of good friends in the club that have already offered to share some marks with me which is great. Already bribed one with some venison  
The burgers were superb!

Whatever you want mate mark wise, then it will be tides and tactics to work out. But being in the right place is the first part.

I'm not familiar with Smuts out of Poole, but near Lymington yes!

I'll did out some day marks and ping them over.

R

On 5/7/2023 at 9:23 PM, Rob said:

Whatever you want mate mark wise, then it will be tides and tactics to work out. But being in the right place is the first part.

R

Dale you have found a shrewd way forward here, I have no doubt you will soon be challenging the species hunt.

On 5/7/2023 at 9:23 PM, Rob said:

R

Rob is spot on with this comment, even a ^fantastic^ mark will produce a blank , I wish it was that easy 😁

My best suggestion is to head west, try marks around Kimmeridge.

Two days either side of a spring tide, first light or dusk .

Try buddy boating, best to be safe is far more important than a fish or two .

Navionics is a superb tool , a decent sonar is a must, they don’t lie.