Shambles trips

Reel Wizzard

2 hours ago, jerry.shutter said:

How did you do Dave, I have been watching reports of good flatties come off, especially mussle beds🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Going tomorrow and Friday, managed to get some fresh mackerel off whole seller today which I have iced down also got some nice worms and prawns for a go at the plaice on the slack and hoping to feather up some eels just hope the weather and boats play ball.

Well the first of two days planned for fishing the Shambles banks ended just past St Albans head when for the second time this year the boat over heated 😥 After letting her cool down topped up the water and headed back and spent the day on the Ray bank, fishing was not that good but did get a small Turbot, a couple of Ray's, smoothounds and lots of dogs. Hoping tomorrow's trip is more successful with Allan on Fisheagle.

Yes Dave (Evans) - it was an Arvor 250

I told him that it was most likely the cylinder head was cracked as it is a known fault with that model and that engine!

I suggested he speak to you and also to get the head pressure tested before causing some very expensive damage and having to buy a complete new engine..............

Having already had the problem once expecting a different outcome when taking the boat out again, particularly on a long run down to the Shambles!!! is just asking for trouble.

I hope it gets sorted without having to replace the complete engine 

19 hours ago, Neal said:

Yes Dave (Evans) - it was an Arvor 250

I told him that it was most likely the cylinder head was cracked as it is a known fault with that model and that engine!

I suggested he speak to you and also to get the head pressure tested before causing some very expensive damage and having to buy a complete new engine..............

Having already had the problem once expecting a different outcome when taking the boat out again, particularly on a long run down to the Shambles!!! is just asking for trouble.

I hope it gets sorted without having to replace the complete engine 

The fault has now been found,  turned out to be a water pump, £500 + fitting. The mechanic should have found that the first time ? Hay ho should have it fixed next week if Alex can get the pump.

Shambles take two. Well after leaving Cobbs with Allan and Jan at 6am we were down on the Shambles by 7.45 Tide was still ebbing but water looked quite dirty. First drift and both Jan and I had dogfish second drift Jan gets a ray while Allan I get tangled up. Tide turned and Jan has a taker Brill so we thought things were looking up, but that was it for rest of the morning. Slack water and we headed on down to the west buoy for a go at the plaice, fist drift and I get one but apart from a nice star fish and rock for Jan we never had any more takes so headed back to the eastern end for another go at the Turbot. Water was a lot clearer now and at last we managed to get some greater sand eels and herring, Allan caught a small Turbot which went straight back and apart from a long bit of rope  that was it. never got back until 7.30pm so a very long day for very little reward.There was a lot of other boats fishing more like a car park which I am sure spooks the fish, we never saw many fish caught and left it a bit late to go on the plaice which meant we missed the best part of the tide. Had lovely weather though and if I could go again tomorrow I would not sure Allan would though?  

So glad the problem with Tommy J was not so serious. 

So many of the Arvors fitted wth the Mercruiser engines had the cylinder heads fail.

Apparently they were the same heads that were fitted to the old landrover discoveries that also had the same problem!

Arvor then changed to a different engine supplier! 

Where did the water go from the damaged water pump? Into the bilge and then pumped out? My Arvor had warning lights indicating when the automatic bilge pumps kicked in and out...