Site upgrade and server move

Oli

2 hours ago, Oli said:

Hi Charlie

Sadly those two or three are probably gone for good unless someone can re-upload them? The photos uploaded during the crossover period (first 2 weeks of the month) couldn't be transferred without redoing a lot of the work again (and potentially messing up the test site which was by that point finally up and running)

Edit to add - Charlie do you/anyone remember what they were photos of and I'll see if I can track them down?

Thanks Oli

I have attached the picture again as an edit, not sure it shows the likes it had though

On 14 December 2017 at 5:18 PM, Oli said:

Absolutely, but please do give me a bit more to go on like "I don't like this because it used to do this" or "could this bit be laid out like this instead". As far as I can see the site layout is pretty similar but I'm only to happy to move things about to make it easier and match the old where I can if members want (I just can't see/remember what else is now in a different position to where it was before).

I'm here to help so anything you can't find/figure out just say and I'll either explain how to do it or adjust the site to make it simpler.

Hi Oli if I go on the PC the site looks very similar to how it used to but when I go on the iPad it is totally different, does not really bother me but can see where some members might struggle until they get used to it. I presume you are using a PC ?.

On 15/12/2017 at 6:20 PM, great white said:

I have attached the picture again as an edit, not sure it shows the likes it had though

Bit of a long shot but any idea how many it had? I could try and add them. Not really sure what's best to do - maybe start the comp as of halfway through the month?

On 15/12/2017 at 6:28 PM, great white said:

Is it possible to get the pictures from the various threads and photo competition to also copy to the Home page.

At times the pictures on there seem to be a bit old

Done

On 15/12/2017 at 6:41 PM, Reel Wizzard said:

Hi Oli if I go on the PC the site looks very similar to how it used to but when I go on the iPad it is totally different, does not really bother me but can see where some members might struggle until they get used to it. I presume you are using a PC ?.

Hi Dave

Good point - I am using a PC. Are you going straight to the website using a web browser on the iPad or through the Tapatalk app? The latter may be a better option?

On 15/12/2017 at 7:04 PM, Tiddler said:

Have you stopped for a cuppa yet Oli ?

Don't burn yourself into a " Frazzle " ;)

Haha, rested and refreshed and ready for this week's onslaught!

• 4 weeks later...

Now the Species Hunt is underway I've made a couple of slight adjustments:

1. On the Leaderboard page at the bottom I've added the 10 most recent entries across all boats.

2. There is now a page where you can view the last 50 entries across all boats. This can be found under the Species Hunt > Recently Added menu.

Feedback on whether we need both or whether I just make the Leaderboard page have 50, 100, 25 etc would be appreciated. To give it more prominence I was also considering a Top 5 of the leaderboard at the top of the site homepage. This would only be visible to Club Members so while for us it would shift the "Welcome" / "Join the Club" section down a bit, we're all already members so it doesn't matter and for non-members the site would still appear exactly as-is.

Main reason for doing so is that because the Species Hunt is no longer done by forum posts, it doesn't appear when you click View New Content

Again Feedback much appreciated!

Oli

Hi Oli

I think the leader board with the latest entries only makes for easier reading as you can see how others are doing and still see recent entries.

The list does get busy during the first 1/2 year as boat register their catches but it slows as the year progresses so I would have thought the latest 25 entries would be better without showing loads of older reports.

Front page would be great

Just my thoughts

Dave

Oli

Couple of suggested enhancements for the species comp.

A list of the species and how often they have been reported (obviously once per boat) but would be interesting (to me anyway) to see the spread by different species particularly the ones that are caught less often.

The other is I haven't found a way to view or report on the species comp from Tapatalk it not being part of the forum. Anyway round this?

Steve

Hi Steve

4 hours ago, Steve S said:

A list of the species and how often they have been reported (obviously once per boat) but would be interesting (to me anyway) to see the spread by different species particularly the ones that are caught less often.

Can definitely do this, bear with me as will have to write a bit of code to do it.

4 hours ago, Steve S said:

The other is I haven't found a way to view or report on the species comp from Tapatalk it not being part of the forum. Anyway round this?

Good find - I've now added a link to the Leaderboard which will appear in Tapatalk. It's in Club Only Section > Members' Boats Year Long Species Hunt at the top - 2018 Species Hunt Leaderboard - let me know you find it OK.

Thanks and keep them coming!

Oli

9 hours ago, Coddy said:

Hi Oli

I think the leader board with the latest entries only makes for easier reading as you can see how others are doing and still see recent entries.

The list does get busy during the first 1/2 year as boat register their catches but it slows as the year progresses so I would have thought the latest 25 entries would be better without showing loads of older reports.

Front page would be great

Just my thoughts

Dave

Thanks - both done. Most pages now have the Top 5 Boats on the right hand side of the page. This is only visible to Club Members who are logged in.

• 1 month later...

Hi Oli, 

Been away from the site for some time now. It's impressive how you have updated the software and server. I know it is not for the faint hearted :)

If it helps, I may have copies of the old pictures as I did have a backup of the whole site.

regards Paul

Thanks Paul, I do have a full backup but I think the missing ones are more to do with them not linking up properly as part of the upgrade - posts with missing photos would unfortunately mean manually going through them and linking them all up I think.

Hi Oli

when I log and go into view new content for the first time all items appear.

if I go back in a little later then the topic I was interested in has disappeared.

I can view it if I press the Activity icon.

What am I doing wrong?

cheers

Greg

Greg, if you click the View New Content Button it will show you anything you have not looked at.  If you then look at the items it will not show you those items as unread again.  To view all content hover over the activity button then click on All Activity in the white section below.  This gives you all the content in posting order.  You can also look at certain parts of what has been posted by again hovering over the Activity button then click on My Activity Streams then choosing what type of content you want to view.

We will be having a bit of a teach in at the March meeting where members can help each other with using the new site.