Saturday suggestions

billy2shots

Hopefully the weather gods smile and some fishing can be had tomorrow.

I've been out a few times now and am learning fast but am still a rank novice so please bear that in mind when suggesting things.

I'm after some ideas of where to fish tomorrow and what is likely to be biting.

Had a couple of good trips to the secret Ray mark the last resulted in 10 fish which I was over the moon with. The problem is the Mrs is desperate for something to go in the pan! Obviously cod is the jackpot here but that is probably wishful thinking.

If I list my limitations maybe some of you guys could help make the Mrs happy. Oh hang on, that sounds a bit dodgy.

1.Only feel comfortable in going a few miles out from Poole harbour so to Dolphin Sands, Sadler, Old Harry etc.

2.Still haven't got around to lengthen my anchor rode so I'm limited to about 11m in depth or drifting. Guess that rules out the chance of a cod?

3. I've got squid and Mackeral in the freezer and am tight for time getting different bait so I would rather stick with what I have.

Can anyone work their magic bearing the above in mind?

Hi again

hard to match nice eating fish to your bait whilst limited to the length of your anchor warp

There are whiting about that match your bait, and the limit of your travel, but are in deeper water on a breezy day you would struggle to anchor

I believe that the plaice are still around by the piers, but these are caught on the drift and need worm baits.

so the choices seem to be , extend the anchor warp and open your range, or stop off at one of the local tackle shops and buy some ragworm

On tomorrows forecast and with the Mrs onboard I would go for option 2

Hope this helps

Thanks again for the info. I will need to start paying you as a consultant soon.

I know plaice can be had on a sliver of Mackeral belly but I presume worm is the better bait around our parts. I might just pretend we are fishing for the pot but target Rays again as they seem to fit into what's available for me this weekend.

Boat has an electric windless and I can't just extend the length easily as I need to get a rope spliced onto the chain.

Any merit in drifting over dolphin sands or should it only be anchored?

Have you got the additional rope yet?

If not you could get it from Peter at Quay West chandlers at Members discount price, he would also do the splice if you can take the chain along.

If you have the rope and it is three strand I could splice it on for you, or again ask Peter

The anchor is a major piece of safety equipment so I would push to get this done

Hi, Charlie has mentioned the anchor warp being totally inadequate in our waters. You could easily be dragging anchor at best towards

A danger area,

My advice would be to forget fishing until you have brought the safety gear on the boat to an acceptable standard sorry but it looks like an accident waiting to happen. Get anRNLI safety check and follow their advice before putting to sea. Have you adequate life jackets, flares, VHF,winterised clothing spare anchor and warp.Remember one small slip up can very quickly lead to a disaster you will never be able to put right.

That is the nature of the sea a great but totally unforgiving playground

Get the safety gear and training to use it in place first the hopefully you can enjoy it for many years.

All the best Peter

Hi, Charlie has mentioned the anchor warp being totally inadequate in our waters. You could easily be dragging anchor at best towards

A danger area,

My advice would be to forget fishing until you have brought the safety gear on the boat to an acceptable standard sorry but it looks like an accident waiting to happen. Get anRNLI safety check and follow their advice before putting to sea. Have you adequate life jackets, flares, VHF,winterised clothing spare anchor and warp.Remember one small slip up can very quickly lead to a disaster you will never be able to put right.

That is the nature of the sea a great but totally unforgiving playground

Get the safety gear and training to use it in place first the hopefully you can enjoy it for many years.

All the best Peter

I completely understand your reasons for the above post and safety comes first second and third so thank you for your time, thoughts and suggestions.

You have made a bit of a leap saying it's an 'accident waiting to happen' and making quite a few presumptions.

Flares - check

Life jackets - check x8 so there are always at least 2 spare

Backup anchor - check but have chosen not to use this for fishing.

VHF - check

Safety check, marine and pre purchase survey - check. You would spending £40k on a second hand boat wouldn't you.

Auxiliary motor - check

As I say I completely understand the reason for yout post (if not quite the tone of it).

Anway Saturdays weather was errr interesting..,,.

3 hours of fishing resulted in

3lb bass (on squid pinned to the bottom)

1 pouting

1 Bull Huss

1 Thornback Ray 6lb

11 Dog fish

A few hook pulls and unlanded fish which I would bet were small bass unable to take the bait and hook(s) fully.

Glad to get home in the dry!!!