Plaice Chase 2016

lofty

The 2nd of April 2016,Sandbanks, Poole.Id been watching the weather on an hourly basis for the last week, and decided a bay launch was just about OK . The best thing about this for a venue is there are options to fall back into the harbour

27DA6072-DB28-4E94-8F7E-1B79014C097A.png

As this is a Poole Bay Small Boat Angling Club run competition, and the clubs chosen charity is HOW, there is a fine line between running, moving,or cancelling the event. According to the forecast it was doable, and with the promise of Kingfisher and Safety One as support boats to be sea shepards,I gave a green light.

On arrival at the car park,the first thing I did before saying hello to a rapidly filling carpark was check the sea state. I was rewarded with an amazing sunrise. It's a go.

1906DCB0-71DB-4A05-8E64-089C89F72D6E.jpg

Registration was £5. This got you a raffle ticket for the draw. Additional tickets were available for an extra fiver( last minute lofty light bulb moment)

With the support boats in position the first of the kayak anglers took to the water. It was soon obvious to me that the numbers were up massively on previous years. Many of the UKs elite and many new faces all with plaice goggles on.

By 9 o'clock everyone was afloat.

It was also pretty obvious that the sea was fighting back.

With recent sand replenishment work on Bournemouths beaches, and Storm Katie just 4 days previously, the water was very coloured, and it's my theory it's pushed the fish back out to better waters. The week before I easily caught six plaice with four ragworms( after losing my bait to Davey)

Fishing was going to be much harder.

It turned out launching and landing were too.

Within a few hours the wind and lumpiness had began to see some early arrivals back to sign off. Some to warm up.Some with seasickness.

Then the radio and a call I'd been dreading.Man in the water.Steve Williams in a Hobie had water ingress through a hatch not closed correctly and the support boats were quickly to him. Safety One had him on board and Kingfisher bought the yak in close. Simon Adams proceeded to wade out to chest height and assisted back to the beach , where Steve had a much needed warm up.

C9D11BCA-3EF8-4AB3-9A9B-B63518BF9329.png

He was also on hand to assist in the retrieval of Lucky Johns kit following his early bath not far from the breakers.

Some had had enough, and by lunchtime I had a fair bit of company.

Some should have stayed on the beach and not gone back out.

E118DF84-75D6-44D1-B29A-7F774A4BA99F.png

Steve and Lucky John

A8DBFE96-F691-42EF-8876-A675F8E076E0.png

Then a call that bought my nerves down a level. "Plaice on board"

Just don't lose it in the drink on the way in. Many didn't make it back dry, and Davey Jones had a red letter day.

58D7B2D2-163E-46D0-A347-E070D79F1A1E.png

0F972DA8-BF92-4CAC-A48F-1640DE0A25E4.png

07BC93D7-AC99-4478-938C-70104D5C414C.png

6AE54B46-8C3B-40C8-97C4-633C9AC9F209.jpg

It was great that there were many on hand to assist and also catch those lost moments on film

A saved rod

4F89178C-97DC-438C-A9F1-A049849348B2.png

By 1.30 most of the competitors were ashore and although very few had bought fish in, I'd heard of seven catching plaice,whiting, flounder and dogfish. Last year seventeen had come to the table and many had multiple catches.

With Neil Wilson the very last to hit the beach( upside down I believe?) the PBSBAC support boats were stood down. 56 launched and signed off the water

The competitors and myself would like to express massive thanks to those that gave up time and effort in keeping us safe.

88D52694-8B44-482D-8CA4-40F6BF16CCA9.jpg

As everyone knows, a U.K. Kayak fishing event is 50% fishing, 50% banter on the beach. I love seeing chumrades making plans and arranging get togethers. I can honestly say everyone I've got to know through my time kayak angling are absolute diamonds.

EEC7406D-1439-4A26-875E-4EEF1B217A60.jpg

FFE70FC3-7B0B-4EC1-A68D-96E079F69AF9.png

And we had a winner

248330E8-9997-46A1-9173-5AAE4D073E56.png

This is one of the hardest uk competitions to win. The main prize is to get your name on The Cam Clearie Sheild. This year that honour goes to a man from the home of a Plaice fishing, the Midlands, on his sleek and fast fishing platform , a Nu Canoe!

Bill Billingham is the2016 champion.

Second was Adrian Lewis

Third Si Ebborn

Fourth Dan Cooke

417B01A2-B347-4E45-BF36-F80BF887B126.jpg

The added draw for all participants saw prizes going to

Si, Steve( woodnut), Darrel( ironman),Steve( nevets) and Bill Billingham.

I may decide to grow the raffle next year?

A huge thanks to all the made a huge effort to take part. The event kicks off our salt season of meets each year, and I hope it's wetted a few appetites?

It also raises money for Heroes on the Water, and you'll be happy to know that I went home with a pocket full of scrunched up fivers, totalling £345. This will go to our treasurer to add to other funds that PBSBAC have raised throughout the year. I would love a few more of you to join the club. A brilliant bunch of blokes that will put you on the fish. PM me for info.

Here's to a fantastic,enjoyable and safe summer afloat

Lofty

0C227B48-E9C1-4E35-A619-E0E5B85D9EDF.jpg

Great effort Lofty, speaking to the guys as I went round like you say they enjoy the banter that goes with it.

I called off the coffee's and rolls on safety grounds as the swells were unpredictable and didn't want any accidents!!!

Well done all to keep going and making the event bigger each year.

Glad all safe and I have to say it's worth a watch as the guys head for the beach, most make it look easy and a few gave me a good reason to stick with a boat!! ;)

Well done to everyone great effort, now only another 20 bacon rolls to get through!!! :(. :(

This was a well organised event by Loffty and he represented PBSBAC brilliantly, and all the competitors seemed well pleased to be out fishing even if the fish, of any species, were conspicuous by there absence.

I would also like to thanks Chris on Kingfisher in providing me and Jamie (my son) with coffee and bacon & sausages rolls, right tasty I must say.

The coffee tasted better than my coffee I brought so take that as a great complement Chris.

On a safety note, we had the job of recovering the kayaker who fell off his craft.

Now anyone who has been on a rib will know that you are not far off the surface of the water, whilst I held onto the kayak Jamie tried to pull in the guy over the tubes, Jamie is quite strong but even he could not do it and so we got the guy to the back of the rib and lowered the step ladder, which drops down to the level of the outboard prop, which made the climbing aboard so much easier.

It got me thinking how difficult it would be to get an angler back aboard on one of our fishing boats especially if you don't have a bathing platform with a set of folding steps!

Perhaps it may get people thinking how they would recover a person on their boat.

We were happy to help just a shame that no great numbers of fish were caught.