Best undies

lofty

Fishing the Airshow on Saturday I tried a mark in the hope for a small eye ray for my species hunt

We were being decimated by black bream in 38 feet of water so pushed out into 54 feet

Bought aboard a nice "12lber", the typical sized Undulate Ray from this area.

CD898850-D2D9-404A-8999-CAEF99E9A82E.jpg

Had a few dropped on the way up. Brian was already into three on board when my maccy live bait ( a Big Mac) started to go mental.

It obviously wasn't happy but then stopped and I wound into my pb Undulate Ray. The video doesn't do it justice as it was a paving slab of a fish

Really deep bodied. It's nose where you grab them must have been an inch thick.

Finished the day watching the planes, and catching various other species, and a first onboard for me too( although not on my hunt list)

56D43C08-3F49-4250-9131-289E1979ED1C.jpg

Here's a little clip taken from my phone

The best part of the day wasn't the fishing

Wasn't being out

Wasn't the air show

It was Brian's landing

I want you to imagine a full beach

Now picture a wave picking you up and you start to surf, facing hengistbury way.

Start counting to 10. Youre surfing

At ten imagine coming into 6 inches of water with the whole beach marvelling at your amazing surf prowess, then slowly you realise a small wave is starting to tip you

"But I made it?"

But you were wrong. Over you go in six inches

The whole beach sighs and says together "ahhhhh. Shame."

He surfed that wave like a South African boss. Finished like a Geordie brickie

Highlight of the day

that is a great Ray, shame you could not weigh it

Weighing big fish on a boat is hit and miss, on a kayak near impossible. I weighed a small eye last year at 11 lb. I've also weighed an undulate at 14

It just about worked.

It wouldn't be fair on the fish. This year I've had pb Rays , tope and smoothys. I reckon my smut was close to 18-19 lb but I'll not know. I measured it and used the converter that put it a solid 19, but it was lean and muscular , not very fat, so I'll never know. I know smuts can be taken but I wasn't going to do that for a weight.

I'm always well happy to catch a good fish though.

Well done on getting such good fish in the first place Steve, a picture and putting them back is far better than harming them In my opinion.

As you say getting true weight on a boat is hard enough, dropping your anchor and paddling to shore just to weigh one is a bit too extreme.

The pictures and reports are well worth sharing, thanks for them they brighten up a dull day.