Bream Competition

Neal

Just an observation yesterday, we had over 50 bream and all were males, where as last week the same sort of number and a 50/50 split.

Are the females laying their eggs and not feeding as last week they were bulging with eggs?

Anyone else find the same?

All our fish were also males so you might have something there Chris

We went to Dancing Ledge for the comp but we struggled to find anywhere near the quantity we had last year.

Once we had located a few on the fish finder and dropped anchor - Mike Fox was into them before I had even started to get my rod ready!

The fish we were catching mostly seemed to be either females that had already spawned or males that had not got the vivid blue marking.

I managed however to get one large female early on - weighed in at 3lb 9oz - which was enough to secure first place in this years Poole bream comp.

Club members were very well placed in this comp as few of the Charter Boats entered -

Results from Poole Sea Angling Centre Bream Comp - PBSBAC Members

1st Neal Sturt 3lb 9oz

2nd Kev Couzens 3lb 2oz

3rd Jan Triska 2lb 13oz

7th Dave Lynes 2lb 11oz

We only had one female,found it hard going most of the day so tried lots of different spots(Nigel's trips around the Bay)but the last hour made up for it.

Found the bites to be the slightest of touches then drop the rod tip down until I felt the line tighten and lifted into them.

We also found it hard going, started at Ballard then moved to the patch where we had a few wrasse, a hound and a doggie - couldn't see any of the other boats catching either and with it being our first fishing trip of the year went on the hunt for some other species drifting in the swash and the harbour (to no avail!).

Ummed and ahhd about heading to Dancing Ledge - wish we had now. Some great fish there - very many congratulations Neal - top job!

Will and myself had a top day not size Will was looking for, well over 50 bream and stacks around the 2 lb mark. Only 3 were females all day.

At least I've been taught how to catch bream, had a lovely lunch prepared for us and the Bakewell tart was tip top.

Thanks for the company Will I enjoyed the day.

Kev

Apologies Kevin I only showed you how to catch Bream for 2nd place , but  I was under strict instruction from Neil that it was his turn to win !!

You were not to mention the Bakewell ,  I told Charlie I had no clue how to make one  !

Many thanks for an enjoyable day Kev.

Will