Can anyone identify what these are

Retrowagon

I use paravanes on handlines for trolling for mackerel for bait. The load on them is incredible, equivalent to 15-20lbs I guess at 3-4 knots, warranting cleating off the line, and needing fairly thick line to be able to handle them. I typically have 4-5' of trace to the lure, and as soon as a fish takes, the load on the paravane changes, and it flips upside down, bring the fish kiting to the surface.

If you snag weed on the vane, they stay down, and the load easily can double.

I wouldn't use them on a rod.

Mike

• 2 months later...

These type of paravanes enable you to fish without using alot of lead.. They are shaped to keep the lines deep in the water, there are three different line fixing positions to change the depth of the line in the water. They are designed so that when a fish takes the vane looses its hold on the water. One can also get quick release clips to fasten to the transom which keeps line in correct position when trolling. It is a good way of finding bass on the move.

• 1 month later...

Being very new to the club and the forum , I am just looking at some posts of interest to me. Some very good and informative posts , I might add !

As for the items that needed identification ; Well to me ; After living in OZ for a while and knowing a few Aboriginal folk, these items look like bush telephones !

Big one is the home phone and the small one is obviously their mobile !!!  ;)  :lol:

PS

Watching  Crocodile Dundee helped ! ;)