2014 junior competition, rules/set up

Sam

Hi Guys,

apologies for not making the meeting last night, but i have spoke to dad and he said there were a few questions that had been asked.

currently the below juniors have been entered into the competition, is there anymore out there that would still like to enter?, also any of the skippers entered with only one or two juniors willing to take an extra one if someone hasnt got a boat to fish from.

1st competition 27th July

Alfresco- jayden, jacob and jack allen

Awol- Daniel and Macey

Megabyte- Tamzin and Thomas

JV - Reuben

2nd Competition 24th August

Alfresco- jayden, sam and dom

Awol- daniel and macey

Megabyte- Tamzin and thomas

wight magic 2- Jacob, Jack

Marlin- Bradley

JV - Reuben

so after talking to brian and tony ref prizes, the club has agreed to fund the first prize for the competition and also agreed to fund the bbq after the second day out. thank you to everyone who has supported this with donating prizes.

tony has also suggested sourcing trophies for the juniors, which i strongly agree with, i know jayden would love a trophy on his shelf.

the idea of the two days is to give the maximum time on the water for the juniors, to answer brians question the two days add up to one competition, so the prizes will be awarded after the second day out at the barbecue.

i believe chris voiced a concern about all the juniors recieving something for there efforts, this was my idea from day one, there will be a small prize for all juniors entered, and then more significant prizes for the winning fish. what are peoples thoughts on the club maybe supplying poole bay baseball caps or something.

competition rules: keep it simple i think is the best way,

both days will be a 4 hour fishing time, starting at 0900 and finishing at 1300, i think this is long enough for the attention span of the younger members, this way both days add up to a full days fishing.

one rod, 3 hooks max per junior.

all fish entered in the competition to be weighed on board, no need to kill them all just for a weigh in.

i would like it if all fish caught could be photographed with the junior angler, i would like to do a write up after for the magazines and the club.

prizes/trophies will be awarded after the second competition at the barbecue at my house. i think it would be nice for all familys of the juniors to be at the barbecue, plenty of room at our place.

the competition prizes will be awarded as follows after the two days, 1st, 2nd and 3rd for the best specimen, largest fish over the two days, highest number of species caught. i think this set up covers all aspects which juniors enjoy.

thank you for taking the time to support this as it is important to me that my boys grow up loving the sport that i do, just like my dad did with me.

anything i have missed or any questions please dont hesitate to ask.

now its down to the weather gods.

tight lines

sam

Edited by Maverick
Dates added

Nice one Sam

I make that 11 juniors, so room for a few more

Lets hope that the weather gods are kind, for the fishing and the barbeque.

My thanks as well to all that have given prizes, volunteered boats etc

And the Club for getting behind this.

I am sure we can make this fun for the kids

I taught my boys to fish when they were young and had great fun doing so

When they grew bigger they talked mum into getting a bigger boat, RESULT.

Hi Guys just a quick update,

After speaking to Tony earlier i just wanted to put up a list of prizes that i currently have for the kids,

so far:

Rod and reel for first place donated by the club

Rod donated by nigel

Rod donated by will pink rod for the girls donated by malcolm

Reel donated by dad

£30 tackle voucher donated by jim

5 sets of tackle vouchers and terminal tackle donated by alan.

Key rings and stickers donated by rob.

We also have: trophies for all juniors donated by the club, Club baseball caps donated by the club, Barbecue payed for by the club,

if there is anything else members can think of please let me know, also spread the word to other members with children/grandchildren with this prize table it would be great to have more juniors.

One thing i forget to say in the first post and after discussing with dad, i am going to keep the prizes as one prize per junior, so if one junior wins first place they cannot win heaviest fish and so forth, i think this gives some of the more novice/younger juniors a fighting chance. thanks again for all the support, if this is a success it could be the first of many more. cheers sam

What do the other skippers think

Shall we fish what we used to call Commodores rules, ie pick an area on the day subject to the weather and fish within a set distance of each other.

Or just fish where you want and keep in touch on the VHF

It may also be good to get the boats close together at some stage for photos and so the kids can see each other

Charlie

My thoughts. (we are only fishing the second date due to being on holiday the first date)

I think it would be a great thing for the kids to fish close together as long as the weather conditions are OK. Unfortunately, my son is nervous of chop and large swell. I think it would make sense not to be too far out because of the restricted fishing time.

Also, we (Marlin) would have to get the 08.30 twin bridges which means we won't be able to get out to the bay until around 09.30. We will then meet up with the rest of the boats if that's what's to be. There is no way we could get the 07.30 bridges as that would mean we would have to get my son up at 06.00. He would be good for nothing by 10.00!! I would also like him to be awake for the BBQ!!

We are happy to fish any rules.

Greg.

Well done Sam.  I am really pleased to see the club getting behind this comp

One thought, perhaps the baseball caps could be colour coded ie. light blue for boys and pink for girls, no reason other than juniors may be more inclined to wear appropriately coloured attire

\ok noted

Well done Sam.

My grand children can't fish it because they're not here on the dates of the comps.

I can't fish it cos all the kids would beat me. :D

Let's hope our famous British weather doesn't ruin it. ;)

Jim

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I like the idea of commodore rules (never knew it was called that)

Kev you can tell Jacob he is not the only one who hasn't been wreck fishing this year, my side winders are collecting dust.

If there is anymore juniors out there, would be great to get some more.

Cheers

Sam

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

getting close to the date now and I hope everyone is looking forward to the first one on sunday.

as it stands I have a 11 juniors on the list, if there is anymore out there, they are more than welcome.

I will keep a close eye on the weather through the week and hope to make an easy decision on Thursday.

we will be fishing commodore rules as I think this is a nice way of keeping all the kids together, also it will probably make it nice and competitive. once the weather has been confirmed, I can then decide the best place for the boats to head.

unfortunately after a great weekend in france, alfresco is now out of action, some horrible noises coming from the leg whilst turning, so alfresco will now be coming out the water for further investigation.

dave has very kindly offered the use of reel magic for the day, thanks dave. so everyone who was due to fish on alfresco in the first comp will now be on reel magic.

this now makes reel magic the lead boat for commodore rules,

any problems please don't hesitate to ask and hopefully the weather will be in our favour

cheers

sam