WARNING new danger off of Hengistbury Head

niggle

Talked to a friend who yesterday hit some rocks approximately 100-150 yards off the groyne slightly west/Bournemouth side.There use to be 14ft there......not now,he was relatively lucky that he only lost his skeg and totally reshaped his propellor at 14 knots.He's not a novice and has been fishing the ledge for 15 years

Nigel

I thought the gap from the groyne was only about 50- 75 ft then in rose up steeply which is why I was a bit wary. Is he from xchurch and at what state of the tide was this, I bet a change of underpants was definitely necessary. Wide trip round in future for me. Cheers Nige.

Further out than beer pan apparently ,like I said he has been fishing there 15yrs

I won't be cutting across by the groyne until all new hazards are marked,might even be a sunken container?

No as bad a story, but while drifting for Plaice  by the nearest Funucular/Cable Car lift, some 250 yards off shore and to the west of the Head, there seems to be a sand bar that is running along the coast. On the plotter it seemed to rise from around 25 ft to around 8ft. and then drop off again to around 16ft at an angle of 45 degrees. Caused a few moments of consternation.

Also, the East Looe Channel seemed a few feet shallower on the last neaps (4/5 feet) and, if my plotter is correct, the nothern edge of Hook Sands seems to have come some 20 to 30 yards closer to the shore and infilled the North Looe Channel by a couple of feet.

A couple of Banks near the 50/50's and off Swanage also seemed to have gone/levelled off. I suspect that we will be finding that a few other marks/features in the Bay have been changed by the storms.

Allan.

I've seen a yacht stranded on Beer Pan before, but if this info is correct (i.e. further out) it can only be something like a container, as rocks don't generally move unless in a Biblical sense! If so defo worth caution. Could your friend be mistaken about the exact location? If not there are going to be many boats shooting across this area at relatively high speed within a few weeks, is there any agency to report this to?

Unfortunately he didn't mark the spot as in his words"had other things on his mind"........I bet he did.

He is going to inform Mudeford lifeboat of the approximate area but I'm sure they will be aware as they are friendly with all the commercial fisherman