Sea Sick - Help

PLD

Some advice please.

Although a member, I have only ever been out boat fishing twice and both times was sick. I did buy some of those special 'boarding ring' glasses much to the amusement of the crew and although I was still sick the glasses did seem to reduce the impact and the sickness passed in a couple of hours.

I am determined to beat this as it is really stopping me from getting out there. So, any advice please? Do other members suffer and how do you overcome it? Do pills work? Which ones? Does ginger help?

I'm desperate to get out fishing and would love to crew with other members but need to be in control of this before I would impose on any of you.

Advice gratefully received,

Peter

Peter I also suffer especially at the beginning of a season but it does get better as the year goes on.  I use Stugeron and have found they work for me, I have never been ill when taking these.  I take a couple the night before going to get them in my system then one in the morning when I get up and that's it.  I never have to top them up during they day and have never been ill when took as described.  Some say these make you drowsy but for me theyr'e finne

Others will have their preferred remedies it just comes down to trial and error and of course familiarity but whatever happens don't give up trying

Hope that helps 

Martin

Peter there's a lot of information on sea sickness prevention on the web, much of it rubbish,  but the following link is one of the most useful I think.

http://www.ecu.edu/cs-acad/diving/upload/Seasickness-Information-and-Treatment.pdf

I'm particularly interested in the cocktail of Ephedrine and Promethazine, which I've seen documented in lots of places as having amazing results and endorsed by the US military. In the real world that's a tablet each of Phenergan and Sudafed, both of which are available over the counter. Phenergan is an antihistamine that prevents the motion sickness, and pseudoephedrine acts as a stimulant that counteracts the side effect of drowsiness.

Thankfully I haven't been seasick for many years (as Martin says it gets better with practice!) but the cocktail seems to work for my wife, who can normally get sick in the bath!

Best of luck

Duncan

Stugeron for me if it is going to be very wobbly and tying rigs etc - taking them on the boat is too late, i take them at home \ 30 mins before launch. 

Most of the time not needed especially if drift fishing etc.

Rob

I was on a minesweeper in the late 60s and we had a toaster on all crew decks to eat dry toast for sea sickness it never did work but do i love toast, but i think Martins way is about the best way forward

cheers

graham

Sam and I are lucky and do not feel the effects much

Dan used to really suffer, he tried the wrist bands with limited success

Then he tried eating dry ginger biscuits, they are now his preferred remedy.

He has now grown out of it,as others have said regular trips helped, as does having a skipper who will take you in if you are really bad.

but still eats the biscuits.

Other things to avoid are;

Hangovers

Greasy food

Being over tired

Fizzy drinks

and in my case Pork Pies

Try to avoid looking down into the boat for long periods. It is much better to be in fresh air and looking at the horizon.

Thanks guys, some really useful tips here.

Think I'll try the stugeron next and then the phenergan and sudafed if they don't work. Seem to remember giving Phenergan to our daughter to help her sleep.

Funny you should mention pork pies Charlie, Paul D did warn me about these, think he called them 'barf bombs'

Much appreciated

Taking the helm works for me...and focussing on steering a safe line through the seas.

Like many on here, Stugeron is needed when it gets seriously whumpity.

I do like the old Arab cure for seasickness though.....go and sit under a palm tree.

Mike

Funny you should mention pork pies Charlie, Paul D did warn me about these, think he called them 'barf bombs'

Much appreciated

That wasn't quite what I called them Pete, but, yes did warn you not to eat the ones I was scoffing on the last trip :)

Sam and I are lucky and do not feel the effects much

Dan used to really suffer, he tried the wrist bands with limited success

Then he tried eating dry ginger biscuits, they are now his preferred remedy.

He has now grown out of it,as others have said regular trips helped, as does having a skipper who will take you in if you are really bad.

but still eats the biscuits.

Other things to avoid are;

Hangovers

Greasy food

Being over tired

Fizzy drinks

and in my case Pork Pies

Try to avoid looking down into the boat for long periods. It is much better to be in fresh air and looking at the horizon.

Agree only with some of what Charlie has said fizzy drinks should be replaced,with cider at least one week every night before going to sea it works for me. :D

Agree only with some of what Charlie has said fizzy drinks should be replaced,with cider at least one week every night before going to sea it works for me. :D

I recall very well how it worked for you when we fished the rips on that memorable trip some years back now ;)

As Charlie said, ginger biscuits, ginger itself helps to sooth and make you less likely to sick.

If there is a chinese supermarket around your way, try asking for ginger candies, they are like boiled sweet but has the kick of ginger, you are probably talking about £1 or 2 so well worth trying.

I suffer quite badly too but I generally take a couple of stugeron the night before and a couple in the morning before launch. Like Martin never been sick on them ...... except once when diving in the Red Sea, got sick at 40 meters and had to watch all the little fishes eating my breakfast. 

Personally, I also eat lots of sweet stuff to, For me, at least if i am going to be sick it tastes good on the way out as well as on the way in :-)