Wishin for sale

niggle

It's all down to budget really.

Cat's are an awesome option but the price over a monohull must be +30/40% at least i'd have thought.

A cat with outboards would suit Xchurch very well.

Do you need berths for sleeping? Another deciding factor??

Another thing to decide is 'commercial' vs factory built. The Cougar Cats / Offshores / Cygnus etc are all hand built and quality will vary hugely - often they have been finished very sparcely with little attention to detail, or asthetics - they are working tools.

The Starfishers / Rodmans etc are built to a production standard and you will get factory engineered consistancy...all the same and not flexible to individual needs but a reasonable finish.

It's great fun searching though!

Sandy wants it to have a proper loo as she has threatened to come out on

Blimey Nige, she now comes to club meetings, next she might go fishing. Tell us all where it went wrong / how that happened so we can learn by your mistakes!!!! Save us, as it's too late for you!!!! laugh.giflaugh.gif

Sandy wants it to have a proper loo as she has threatened to come out on

Blimey Nige, she now comes to club meetings, next she might go fishing. Tell us all where it went wrong / how that happened so we can learn by your mistakes!!!! Save us, as it's too late for you!!!! laugh.giflaugh.gif

Rob my three lads are all off doing their own thing so she is left on her own.THATS DANGEROUS!!

Nige a Cat with outboards is perfect for xchurch. We only draw 27cm. The Cheetah factory is only a few miles from your Undulate mark !! I have brochures here if you want to look. What's wrong with bucket and chuck it, much cheaper wink.gif and you can sleep anywhere

tongue.gif

Nice thread this

and some interesting options /choices put up by Adam.

I agree with his words , speed is not everything, it all has to be ballanced to get as close as possible to what you need.

We like Adam can do just over 30 knots but stick to about 20 for fuel economy and a smoother ride.

That said at 20 knots we have about 1000 revs left in the engine, so have plenty of reserve power if we need it.

Maintenance is not bad for us as we do our own, so its just parts.

I really love the Cygnus but they are heavy and need some horses to push them along, with current fuel prices I am glad I did not go that way.

I like the cats, but the internal layout is a bit too limited on them. without paying a lot for one over about 8 mtrs. Colins is a great boat but would not get you the toilet and bed space you are looking at.

Adam also has a point about the standard of finish, that P3 Pro Charter may look like one in the Club, but does it have a double bed and full standing shower room laugh.giflaugh.giftongue.gif

Seriously mate

Good luck with your search

Charlie biggrin.gif

Nige,

Come out for a spin on Manta Ray....and get the feel....they build them from 8 metres upwards...and depending on what fit out and engines you want..... you might be pleasantly surprised at the cost.....its like shopping in a Big Boys toy shop.... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif

Tomo

Nige,

Come out for a spin on Manta Ray....and get the feel....they build them from 8 metres upwards...and depending on what fit out and engines you want..... you might be pleasantly surprised at the cost.....its like shopping in a Big Boys toy shop.... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifwink.gif

Tomo

I'd love to Al,but I think it will be more than I want to spend.Youre living the dream mate!!

I don't want to pester you so I'll join the queue give me a call either at work or Robs got my number

Thanks Nige

Not sure why you don't have the Orkney 24 in your short list matey?

I went through the same sort of decision making process recently as you know and had the Rodmans and more modern gin palace "eaue" types in there. The Orkney has plenty of fishing space, good accommodation levels, seems fairly reasonable on fuel and goes a fair bit quicker than most seem to think. Cat B rated which is handy.

Probably looks a bit dated but to get the same performance out of the Rodman you'll need the twin engined version, it will have shaft drive and not the leg you prefer, lovely looking boat but maybe not as practical? It will probably use twice as much fuel.

The other thing with the 24 is that it is still manageable on your own, I know you like to go out for a bit of peace and quiet sometimes wink.gif

It probably depends on how much you plan to use the boat as well, where I live I can't really justify having a boat at all but I do enjoy the breaks I take. Plan to do more this year now we've settled in the new house.

You are welcome to come out on the boat any time, if you can get a few days off later this month I'm hoping to go back down and ping up a few wrecks ready for the WSF meet.

Paul

Not sure why you don't have the Orkney 24 in your short list matey?

I went through the same sort of decision making process recently as you know and had the Rodmans and more modern gin palace "eaue" types in there. The Orkney has plenty of fishing space, good accommodation levels, seems fairly reasonable on fuel and goes a fair bit quicker than most seem to think. Cat B rated which is handy.

Probably looks a bit dated but to get the same performance out of the Rodman you'll need the twin engined version, it will have shaft drive and not the leg you prefer, lovely looking boat but maybe not as practical? It will probably use twice as much fuel.

The other thing with the 24 is that it is still manageable on your own, I know you like to go out for a bit of peace and quiet sometimes wink.gif

It probably depends on how much you plan to use the boat as well, where I live I can't really justify having a boat at all but I do enjoy the breaks I take. Plan to do more this year now we've settled in the new house.

You are welcome to come out on the boat any time, if you can get a few days off later this month I'm hoping to go back down and ping up a few wrecks ready for the WSF meet.

Paul

Paul give me some dates and I'll see what I can do,I havent caught a haddock wink.gif

That Scottish one looks like a dead ringer for mine, right down to the tender and davits (which I've taken off mine).

If you fancy some company to drive up and have a look give us a bell Niggle.

Will let you know dates for Falmouth.

Paul

Nige....

I'm not so sure... if you are comparing Rodman with Orkney!

The 24 engine cover is a right faff to remove. Its not hinged as far as I've seen, and the engine is shoe horned in. The vee sections are quite flat aft, which means the engine doesnt have a great depth to sit in, consequently the above deck lump takes alot of deck area out od what would be a superb space. The lay up and general construction is on the light side after all it only weighs 2.5 tonne. But then you do get good performance.

I love the layout of the Orkney24, but it wont sleep more than 2, and you cant get into the heads with the double berth down.

Outside, the deck can flex quite alot on the older models. However the Rodmans are altogether a different animal. They dont weigh 5 tonnes for nothing.

aaalso... if you break anything on the orkney, and want to get it through them, it took me 3 months to get a new window and door, as their suppliers are giving them stick at the moment with the receivership issues.

Have I put you off the journey yet ??

rolleyes.gif

Paul