A day out with the Old Man

Harnessboy

Myself and Mark (Uglystick) planned a trip out of Middle beach to Old Harry rocks in search of Bream and Bass. We launched later than planned as all but one of the car parks were shut until 9 am, having dropped the boats off at the gate we parked the car in the Bankes Arms carpark.

user posted image

We then took the short walk down hill to be greeted by this.

user posted image

It looked beautiful and so peaceful.

user posted image

The wind was non existent and surprisingly the sun was already hot, we begun the paddle out to the old man taking the very last of the tide,

user posted image

user posted image

10 -15 mins later we found some promising rough ground just inside the line of the last stack and decided to drop the anchors.

We were hoping for the fish to show on the start of the flood, but things were fairly slow to begin with. We were however treated to some great views of this three mast beauty.

user posted image

user posted image

I think she had been moored in Poole for the last couple days perhaps someone can enlighten us as to her nomenclature.

We then started to see some fish showing, Mark started with what he was sure was a large Trigger fish, i saw it all too briefly as it spat the hook right at the side of his kayak, a real shame as neither of us had caught one before.

That was the start of a more interesting couple of hours, fishing wise, between us we managed 5 species, Wrasse (unsurprisingly) Bream, Pollack, Mackerel, Gurnard, so all in all an interesting day out.

We decided to have lunch at the base of the old lad, very pleasant setting to say the least.

user posted image

Around High Water i talked Mark into going around Old Harry and having a close look at some of the other stacks, it really is a fantastic place to be in a kayak, when the water is safe (ish) thought you might like to see what we saw close up. Thanks to mark for the great company, long may i be able to visit places of such beauty and awe.

user posted image

user posted image

Hope you like the photo's lads.

Paul.

Edited by Harnessboy

Cheers Lofty, next time we want to get out there early, i think we might launch in the Harbour and take the tide out then follow the training bank out so that we are over good fishing ground all the way, then come back into the harbour with an incoming tide, it will mean more paddling but no restrictions on getting out there at a time of our choice. wink.gif

Done that and loved it. launched at Sandbanks. only thing to watch was the shallow sand bar between Sandbanks and Shell bay as this can be a bit choppy with too much wind/ tide. love the training bank early. have had some quality down time there on calm mornings. cool.gif

What a great day and super photo's biggrin.gif

We tend to forget how nice our bit of coast is some times. biggrin.gif

Thanks for sharing

Charlie biggrin.gif

I don't Charlie.

I just looked on Google Images for Coventry Canal.

This is the " Coast " I grew up with.

Disgraceful ain't it.

Jim

post-165-1314272614.jpg