November Open comp

Maverick Martin

• 3 weeks later...
tongue.gif Martin, Tried your home no. Left my no. with your son(?) I have got a prize for the comp. Since phoning you I have spoken to Mark Bessant ( Loyal Royal ) and he is coming to Weymouth tonight so I will give it to him to bring back. It is a brand new(still boxed ) Maxximus 3/0. Very nice reels mate. About

Hi,

May I suggest someone contact the Weymouth fishing shops and Fladen who are also based in Weymouth I believe.

WHilst I have my thinking cap on huh.gifhuh.gif what about Wessex or Pain flares?

Just a suggestion which may have already be thought of.

Regards

Coddy

cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...
tongue.giftongue.gif Right lads, The time has come for the big question with some honest answers(Not that I am suggesting for one moment that you would try and mislead). What tackle do I need for Sunday and what are we going to be fishing for? Is the tide right for the codding or will it be whiting and general fishing? Can you give me some idea on times Mark and where can we meet? Regards, BB cool.gif

well Billy I have been advised that there is an excellent run of Marlin and Sailfish currently so the best thing I can do is troll large surface lures around Poole Bay at 8knots wink.gif

alternatively if you just want the kudos of winning the competition then the winning specimen is likely to come from

(1) red mullet

(2) pouting

(3) doggy

(4) whiting

(5) wrasse

(6) bass

with a ray being an outsider but not to be ignored!

otherwise just enjoy the day fishing for cod..........and taking what comes

the pool, being for the largest fish rather than specimen as I now understand it (?) , should be snaffled by a conger (round) and a turbot/brill/plaice (flat) - if the sea is dead calm - or flounder ('cos so many will be fishing for them) if not.

All very boring and predictable really............ rolleyes.gif

come on Paul - make a real game of it and fish flounder rod and reel with a mullet trace and 6 squid in 90ft of water...................[smile]

seriously the more I think about it the more sensible the split between prizes and pool comp basis seems

I make no bones about it I am only there for the beer - the 48hr specimin hunt is best (fairest) comp for small boats as far as I can see - but it will be nice to see some decent fish weighed in next Sunday.

Where did the decision on 'sharks' get too?

In Order that we release fish that aren't going to win as quickly as possible.

I suggest that we let everyone know by VHF the size of fish were holding on to.

That way we won't have too many 40lb congers weighed in when theres a 60lb fish been caught.

What do others think?

Paul J