What a plaice

Maverick Martin

Up at 5am on Sunday to get to the boat and leave Rockley by 6am so we thought!

Got up ok loaded the boat with enough gear and food for the two day trip. Turned the key and.........................nothing. Tried the battery pack but this has been on the boat for about 3 months without recharging so not enough in that either. Luckily I had two fully charged batteries but they are in the garage so a dash home and back, install the replacement batteries and hey presto the engine burst into life. Next problem the AIS wasn't working and neither was the external satellite aerial so no fix on the gps. Luckily the plotter I have has an internal satellite receiver so after investigating the menu and working out how to use this instead of the external receiver then we were away.

The original plan was to go straight to the shambles and fish inshore on day one but it was so nice Dean and I decided to go offshore and wreck hop our way down the English Channel. The fishing wasn't blistering but we managed 3 ling to 17lb pollock to 12lb with two many to count pout along with loads of mackerel. There were so many mackerel but of a very small average size. We then made our way inshore for a drift or two on the mussel beds to the west of the shambles. Here I had just the one cod around 3 or 4 lb's Off into Weymouth at around 5pm to get ready for the evening.

Day 2 saw us leaving Weymouth on an oily flat sea. We had decided to fish the shambles today. Dean had a small Brill on our first drift. On about drift three I had a knock, started to reel in and could feel it was a reasonable fish weight wise but it didn't put up much of a fight until that is it left the bottom then it went ballistic stripping line on two reasonable runs. I am now thinking it must be a turbot. Dean gets the net ready whilst waiting for the fish to appear from the depths. It's a bl**dy humungous plaice shouts Dean and sure enough it was. When aboard it pulled the scales down to 6lb 11oz WOW The largest plaice I have seen for many a long year.

user posted image

Not a lot happened for us after that. We had a move to some broken ground a couple of miles south and had bream, bullhuss adn the inevitable dogs. We then decided to try St albans for bass but no luck there so trundled our way home.

I had a cracking couple of days made all the better by that one plaice

Will post a picture of the plaice later

Martin