New outboard

live bait

Hi all, apologies if this has been covered in the past, but I would appreciate any feedback from Evinrude users.

I have an old Yam 30 Autolube 2 stroke and I would like to trade up, partly because I don't have power tilt (Mudeford launch) and partly because the are a couple of small but persistent issues that BHG have not been able to cure so far after several tries. (One is I get an electric shock off the fast idle lever on start up, other is I get power loss when the engine is running at over 50% for the first 10 mins of the day.)

Anyway I did the rounds at the boat show thinking I was going to be convinced by a 4 stroke - a friend has a 4 stroke Yam 25 on the same boat as me. However I came away quite impressed by the list of features on the Evinrude 25 E tec.

In particular - no maintenance for 300 hrs (that would probably be 3 years for me), self winterizing, instant start when cold, no running in, low fuel and oil consumption, low noise (compared to mine of course!) etc.

Anyone running one of these who can give a view?

Also I'd like to know how folks have found South Coast Marine at Christchurch who would be the supplier.

Thanks in advance.

Clive

first of many i would think Clive.

I have an etech 90. I have had a few issues most of which have been external electrical faults (batteries and connectors etc) but have had those sorted now by South Coast Outboards (the maintenance side of SCMarine)

I had a full service a little while ago (4 years with 54 hours on it) the service cost me around

Clive there will be a bus load of etec owners along shortly laugh.gif

Here's the Bus biggrin.gif

I have the E-Tec 75 and am delighted with it.

True, I have not used it much due to family commitments.

It has never let me down ( I did have a flat battery once ) but the engine has been faultless.

It's good on fuel.

Service every 3 years.

I had my service done by PMS and was very happy with the service and price.

Have you spoken to them for a price to supply an engine.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Hi - Have an ETec 40 and had absolutely no problems with it Actually only problem I recall was the cover clip broke but this was replaced under warranty. Starts first time everytime and has been frugal on the fuel. Little bit noisier than an equivalent 4 stroke apart from that little difference and I like the lack of servicing costs for 3 years smile.gif

Finally the acceleration from standing is superb as oodles of torque.

Would buy again

South Coast marine - excellent guys - I had mine from L&J marine but they no longer do evinrude so South Coast do servicing now for me ( well the one I have needed ). They are a good family business - I broke a steering cable once and they repaired it while I waited and saved me a whole days fishing

Thanks for the replies guys, no one so far saying anything negative.

Sounds as if it might be a safe bet.

Next problem is my daughters boiler has packed up and is obsolete so I expect I'll have to shell out for that before I get anywhere near a new outboard!

Clive

• 4 months later...

Hi all and thanks for comments a few months back.

Just to let you know I did go for the E Tec, and am very pleased with it indeed.

One slight puzzle.... when I go to fill the fuel tank before each trip, it doesn't seem to need any!

Well OK a slight exageration, but I reckon it uses half what the old Yam 2 stroke used.

Clive

It's good on fuel.

I bet it's amazing Jim - they dont tend to use much sat on the drive do they!?! tongue.giftongue.gifcool.gif

Thanks Adam. laugh.gif

Just a quick Warning to Trailer owners.

Don't park your trailer with the Brakes On ! ! ! weep.gifweep.gif

Some N*b Head left the brakes on when Small Fry was last used.

( That'll be ME then )

I had to loosen the adjusters to free them off.

Luckilly I have the hub flush fitted, so it was only fresh water that had been in there. wink.gif

I suppose it's my Age that makes me forget things. laugh.gif

Jim

Good news! I surprised you got away with that so easily as they had been on for 3 years!!!

laugh.gif

Just shows the benefits of the HUb Flush system.

-

-

-

-

My GrandKids will be here in a couple of weeks so I'm gonna try to put other stuff aside and take them out.

Jim