Lure Comp 19th July

Adam F

Hi all

Got up early, for me anyway, and set off in Lady C for the first time fishing in 2 months!

Tried out by Sandbanks first thing but nothing, then round to Peveril again nothing.

Thanks to Carl on Overdraft found our mackerel of the year!!!!! weep.gif

Out to the Sadles and Bill was into more mackerel and a Red Gurnard

I caught a larger Red Gurnard but it was not on a lure so doesn't count.

As said by others, went close inshore for shelter but found nothing so went into the harbour and bill managed the smallest Bream I have seen for years.

So score for Lady C was;

Bill 4+ mackerel, 1 Red Gurnard and 1 Bream = 21 points

Dave 3 mackerel

Was well pleased with the results of repairs on the boat, got 20kts and revs up so just need the weather now.

Dave

cool.gif

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was well pleased with the results of repairs on the boat, got 20kts and revs up so just need the weather now

Good news Dave.

Was the bream on a lure? ( feathers i suspect)

the reason i ask is that i'd love to get one on Fly ( talk about making it difficult for oneself rolleyes.gif )

PJ

First stop - Brownsea Castle - just to see what was about - straight into Mackerel, which very quickly dispersed once boats started to appear. Then small Pollock.

Saw Jim - without his "mummy" - then we went out to the end of the swash to look for Scad and or Gurnards - couldn't even get more mackerel.

Then off to Swanage Bay / Peverel Ledge nothing happening - so set off around Anvil Point - met Jim coming back - close in to the cliffs nice and calm but no fish caught - so decided on a longer drift from Dancing Ledge - changed our minds and went round to Chapmans Pool.

Finally - Pollack & Wrasse.

Gave up for a while to fish with bait - caught a couple of nice Blonde Rays and dropped a very big eel.

Back to Swanage Bay to find some Pout - failed - so back to Brownsea Castle

more pollock, pout, poor cod and wrasse.

final tally

Neal, 4 Mackerel, 4 pollock, 3 wrasse, 3 pout, 1 poor cod although not sure if it counts.

John Young, 4 Mackerel, 4 Pollock, 1 Wrasse

Neal

Well we were out early and armed with a couple of new marks set off hoping that the wind would ease.

we stopped for bait which was plentiful and we all loaded up 4 macs each but nether wreck produced anything more than a solitary pout to Alun and three poor cod to me.

I am afraid that is when we reverted to bait, had several congers lots of medium size tope

We had a busy day but scores were poor

Alun 4 macs and 1 pout

Me 4 macs and thre [do they count] poor cod

Will 4 macs

Craig 4 Macs

Having read that so many others also gave up and reverted to bait fishing can I ask that the format of this comp be looked at before next year.

Well done to the winner whoever it is

Charlie

So far, it's looking like Neal's in front ( again ).

But guess what ? - I think I'm quite high up the scores ( well at least not bottom ).

I took a picture of almost everything that steve and myself caught, so I'll count up tonight and perhaps someone can help me work out my points.

Chuffed to bits ! !

Jim biggrin.gif

I'll echo Charlie's comments about this comp.\format; we struggled with it last year as well !

Lure comp is OK .... but would be better as a specimen comp .. to target a decent bass, mackerel or gar inshore ... or pollack or pout offshore [ etc.]

As a species comp.......bait targets more of the species on the 'List' .... which, Charlie, doesn't have Poor cod or 'others'.

Alun.

Second attempt at typing in a report - I fell asleep at my laptop keyboard last night, before I could hit the send button!! weep.gifweep.gif suffice to say I was knackered!!

Day started by falling off the side deck when on the swinging mooring. but fortunately only got one leg wet due to a strategically placed rubber dinghy. Richard C and myself loaded up the gear and were off by 0830 in the warm sun and zero wind - pity it turned out to be one of those very wet wind against tide jobs later on...

Stopped off at the castle for a few points - Richard trying out the flycasting, as it was so calm - but nothing tempted on the rather large pike fly / sinking line. Though looked most elegant way of fishing.

Then we headed off down the the Piers for the mackerel, and they were mostly ones or twos per drop, but died off before we could each get our quota. Still with plenty of bait in the livewell (pic) off we went to the ledge to join in the bass drifting -with the hope of a bit of settled water in close, and some plugging. The water looked remarkaby clear and not much weed so we were hopeful at least for a few hours

We had about half an hour before the ebb started, which changed the smooth water into a washing machine in the rapidly increasing wind. Even the live baits produced nothing - and many casts were done.

So in the end we anchored up for some lunch and bait fishing, and gave the bream and pout a bashing - no big fish but at least there ws some sport.

Then we headed back towards the pier when the swell was getting uncomfortable, and Richard had one last go for mackerel on the fly - but the drift speed and wind direction made casting a tad difficult. However Richard had more success with 3 Gurnards on the feathers. Then it was a few mackerel, but they were very scattered and hard to find, before we called it a day.

Final tally

Paul - 4 Pollack, 4 mackerel, 25litres of fuel

Richard - 4 Pollack, 4 mackerel, 3 Gurnard

An enjoyable day, but very hard work, conditions taking the edge off what could have been....

Paul

post-3-1249302376jpg

Jim,

The first one (with the stripes) was a pout - the second one looks like a poor cod

look at the aquarium project to verify - a very useful website!

I am not sure if the poor cod counts as an extra species as it is not listed on the score sheet - but may count as an extra pout!

Neal

Jim,

The first one (with the stripes) was a pout - the second one looks like a poor cod

look at the aquarium project to verify - a very useful website!

I am not sure if the poor cod counts as an extra species as it is not listed on the score sheet - but may count as an extra pout!

Neal

What is a Poor Cod ? One that's spent it's life Drinking, Smoking and chasing easy Women ? ?

I've seen Poor Cod mentioned in posts before but just thought they were in " poor condition "

It's all a bit confusing y'know.

Jim

Thanks Neal.

Something else I noticed, _ there were lots of fish showing on my fish finder earlier in the day, and by late afternoon - - - B*gger all !

All the boats & Jet Skis must scare the poo out of them.

I'll have to get Steve out of bed earlier next time. biggrin.gif

Jim

Jim - is Small Fry OK? Looks like you may have buoyancy issues. I would expect her to lean to your side!!! laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Yes Rob, I TOLD Steve to leave his wallet at home ! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Jim

Ps I only look heavy - Flab isn't as heavy as muscle. weep.gif