In The Water At Last

Barney

I finally put the boat in the water. After my new boat arrived 4 days before going away on holiday it seemed like at long wait. Couldnt of booked a better day for the maiden voyage. Flat calm and the sun was shining. I think im going to have some fun, l cant wait for some nice days. I have a lot to learn but looking forward to it.

So if you see me out there please say hello.

My Boat is a Warrior 165 named The Grinch

Hi guys

I will be out whenever i get the chance, most weekends i hope.

Shopping list nearly complete but club membership deffinately on it. I think i can stretch to that after my spending spree.

For you fellow warrior owners what your thoughts on the 165. Any tips do's and dont's mods welcome

Im a total novice so any advice please

Barney

I have a very special relationship with my 165, Enticer rolleyes.gif

They are a great package, and for a 16 foot boat, very sea worthy.

I know you are probably gagging to get out ther on yours, but before you add too many extras, come out on one or two of the club members 165s and it will give you plenty of tried and tested ideas. More benefits of joining the club.

You are more than welcome to join me on Enticer

I am sure you will enjoy your new mistress.... I mean boat

Gordon & Enticer ph34r.gif

Barney

If you look after The Grinch like Gordon does Enticer I am sure you will have a happy future together.

Good advice to go out with someone on their 165 to learn the ropes, and pick up all sorts of other knowledge.

Just make sure Gordon only strokes the boat laugh.gifsad.gifph34r.gif

Sounds like the warrior numbers are growing again, you will have enough for your own trail aways soon Gordon biggrin.gifwink.gif

Tight lines

Charlie

Hi guys

I will be out whenever i get the chance, most weekends i hope.

Shopping list nearly complete but club membership deffinately on it. I think i can stretch to that after my spending spree.

For you fellow warrior owners what your thoughts on the 165. Any tips do's and dont's mods welcome

Im a total novice so any advice please

Hi Barney,

Couple of useful ones:

Drill drain holes in the gunwhale pocket bases (if you have them), also under the lip of the bucket seats if fitted.

Bolt stainless eyes to the back of the console and the anchor locker bulkhead and stretch bungee ropes between them as a luggage restraint.

Tape pipe insulation around those stupid face-level grab handles on the edge of the cuddy - someone is going to lose their teeth on them one day mad.gif

Pipe insulation is good on all the rails - protects the rod rings - but most people prefer their shiny stainless steel to be visible cool.gif

Take the seats off their bases and pack the bearing race of the swivel with waterproof grease. Once you are used to the boat, you can relocate the seats on the base to give more space between them if required.

Have fun with her!

Steve

Hi Barney,

Some things I discovered on Hook'n'Eye:

If you are going to have an auxiliary engine, place the mounting bracket on the starboard side - this means that the tiller will be inside the boat and, if you have a tiller extension, you can stand in the centre of the boat to steer.

Put a couple of extra deck cleats forward about level with the leading edge of the side windows - there is space on mine in the non slip deck coating. This is just where you need to put a 30+ cm ball type fender to avoid pontoon rash when coming alongside!

Don't put the trailer too far in the water when retrieving the boat as there will be a possibility in wind and tide for the boat to fall off the front roller and get trailer rash either side if the keelband. You only need to get the bow engaged with the first set of swivelling rollers and then use the winch. On a reasonably sloping ramp, the trailer wheels only need to be half submerged.

Remember to lower your antenna when trailing - I lost mine to a conker tree in Wiltshire!

The nice guys at Warrior will usually supply you with replacement swivel clips FOC for the trailing canopy when they eventually corode and snap off. They have also sent me some new Warrior stickers and a length of the red & blue coach stripes.

If you have a minor bump and scratch the gelcoat - don't panic! Gelcoat Filler is brilliant, easy to apply and the repair is virtually invisible on a white hull (not so easy to match on the blue hulls though).

Hope to see you on the water one day.

Regards,

Harry

Thanks Steve & Harry.

I never even thought of those tips.

I have saved them and will use as a reference.

Barney: What engine have you got?

Also, Rinse the salt water off boat and trailer as soon as possible.

Some slipways have a fresh water supply.

Baiter Park in Poole does.

Jim

Thanks Guys

Seats Drilled

Gunwale Pockets Missed those

Half canopy in its cover covers hand rails nicely padded

AUX Bracket already fitted Port side trying to counter balance over weight driver

No trailer no worries. ummm !

Mariner 60 EFI with 4 Blade Prop

Barney,

I collected "Claret & Blue" 6 months ago and we've had some fantastic days, even though most of them have been over in Lyme bay / Weymouth bay this summer. I was a total novice too back in April, but it's amazing how soon things come together.

My top tips...

1. PBSAC membership is a great source of support and usful info. Read the "Angling Boats" book and Coddy's web site too.

2. Book yourself on an RYA Level 2 course as soon as you can. The Honda engine on my 175 came with a free course , and Peter White (Seafever Int'l) was just brilliant as an instructor. My 2 mates came along for a couple of really enjoyable days and we learned loads. The training course gives you just the right amount of confidence and I now know that if I fall in the water, other people on the boat have all the skills to get me back safe.

Other than that, just get some hours under your belt and make lots of mistakes - just not expensive ones smile.gif

Duncan

Edited by bathclaret

Harry,

I think they're known as " Mighty Warriors "

ENTICER

The Grinch

Small Fry

HooknEye

Whitey Bitey

Stingray

Claret and Blue

I hope we're all out on the 23rd.

It'd be good to get some photos.

With a bit of luck, I'll have fitted my Pennant by then.

Jim

My second pennant has just split assunder across the middle. I don't think they like the long road journey with the added wind factor. What about some plastic stick-on logo's (the sort that don't require glue) which could be put on a window or other flat surface?

Terry.

Barney,

You may in time find trim tabs a benefit to you.

These will make your ride a lot more comfortable stopping the cork screw effect on busy waters blink.gif

Best of luck

Gary (whitey bitey)

Just remembered you are on holiday so may not see this.....oh well smile.gif

Thank you for that, PJ, I will get my order in without delay.

Trim tabs, hmm. I have had them on Stingray for 3 years now and due to a completely avoidable situation damaged one of them recently. When I took Tom out about a week ago I had removed them for repair and am now pretty convinced that the benefits derived from them are marginal at best. It may, of course, just be the setup of my boat but I really believe that the ride was actually better without them. Which is all very galling as I have previously been quite an advocate of the benefits. Oh well, such is life; now I have to decide whether or not to refit them. mad.gif

Terry.

Join club via paypal do i need to do anything else ?

Hi Barney

May I be one of the first to welcome you into the club.

I have updated your status in the forum to that of club member so you now have access to all areas.

All you have to do now is get out, play and learn

Best way to learn is hitch some rides or take other members out and pick brains. Believe it or not there are a few brains worth picking within the club laugh.gif

Another way is to come along to a meeting. They are held on the first Thursday of every month, it would be good to meet you

Martin