Abu 7000 Lever Drag Reel

plaicemat

I've got one of each and they are smooth as silk.

However, I am not one for caring after my reels particularily, so leave salt deposits on an ABU 7000 and it will eat away through the outer casing. Also, had two, different, screws break on each reel - but not in a "critical" position, so both reels working fine.

Shimano TLD reels much more sturdy but the ABU reels are smoother.

Would I buy another one for

I replaced two Shimano Charter Specials with 7000 NLD's this year as the Shimano units were turd. After 1 season with careful use they sounded like cement mixers - even replaced the bearings. Even when new the shimano's are rough running compared to the Abu's.

My 7000's are only 6 months old, but bearing up well and I'm pretty impressed.

Shimano's do have a place - but for me, only heavy duty conger / cod fishing when finese isnt that critical.

IMHO

Adam

I second the Charter Special vs ABU 7000 NLD. My Charter Special needed new bearings after 2 years and in fact I managed to seize up the handle and also did the same on my TLD20 - ( Salt X + a hammer + some grease fixed it mind smile.gif.

The ABU's on the other hand have cases corroding away nicely but are still running as smooth as silk.

At the end of the day, I see the reel as expendible. After all, how much do you spend on the boat to get out there ?

Just to roll in a low baller, I too, have a 7000NLD, which has now been back to the manufacturer so many times it never ever sees the light of day, and I wont waste money putting braid on it. I have found that the screws that hold the side plates to the main frame work loose in their sockets, pulling the threads away. Annoying when you are trying to play a fish!!

I wash my reels after the majority of my sessions, shake them dry, and place in an airing cupboard to do the rest. They are all serviced every year, rough running or not, to clean out the bearings, re oil and grease with manufacturers product, and the shimanos far outweigh the ABU's. All except my mini ambasadeur Five, made in sweden, bought with my first weeks pay when I was 16, for the princly sum of

I have to admit I have the same problem with the screws on the ABU 7000 working loose and then no longer being able to screw back in though - I thought it was me not looking after the reel properly.

I have 2 Charter Specials, one I seized up but easily fixed ( same method as with my TLD20 ) and the other I bought from Rich so was well looked after but still not as smooth as my ABU 7000.

Paul, the jaggy drag is all down to moisture in the drag washer set up. If you take it out and dry it with a hair dryer, then replace, it should be as smooth as day one.

Bearings, even the small ones, have the size stamped on the racer casing. Get a magnifyer and write down this number, as this is the one that a bearing supplier needs.

No honey harvested as yet duncan, hopefully mid November. We message you when I have some.

Rich

PS I dont need my hair dryer any more, you may borrow mine Paul. ph34r.gif Come to think of it......has anyone use for a gents brush and comb set?? As new!!!!