Bit Blowy!!

BigMac

It was 6:00 when we left the mooring and headed down the river, the wind was blowing hard but at least it was coming from the north. As we got out past the bar there was quite a big swell but more importantly no white horses biggrin.gif

Rupe at the helm we set out to catch bait and 15 minutes with the feathers and there were 40 livelies in the well.

The north easterly causes us to shear across the tide on the flood tide actually allowing us to have a much longer drift, going along the feature rather than backwards and forwards across it. We both have fish on within minutes of starting, mine about 5lb and Rupes shed the hook boatside sad.gif Second drift we're both in again mine of 6lb something and I slide the net under a lovely 8lber for Rupe.

During the next 4 hours we only have two drifts without any sort of action, whether it be a missed take or a lost fish. We end the flood tide with a total of nine fish to me up to 8lb and 2 fish for Rupe of 6lb and 8lb.

On to an inshore ebb mark we get to the end of the drift and my float sails away resulting in a fighting fit 5lber. Next drift Rupe hooks a proper 'un that stays deep until almost at the boat. It heads uptide and then decides it likes the shadow of the boat, Rupe gives it some, it hits the surface swims round in a circle straight into the waiting net!!!! 10lb 12oz biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif and Rupes first double off of this mark!! Well done mate!! A couple of quick piccies and she swims off still full of agrression. They are magnificent fish aren't they?!!!

Another couple of fish for Rupe of 6 and 7lb and one more to me of 7 1/2lb and we have to head back while theres still enough water to get up the harbour.

A brilliant days fishing, 16 fish all together with a double for Rupe which just to put the icing on the cake. biggrin.gif

Rupe with 10:12

Rupe gives it some, it hits the surface swims round in a circle straight into the waiting net!!!! 10lb 12oz biggrin.gif  biggrin.gif and Rupes first double off of this mark!!

I want one biggrin.gif I dont actually know why i dont fish for them, prefering the easy option of anchoring the banks for ray instead, but the aquafresh writeups are so inspiring that i think i will make a determined effort in the next few weeks to try for one.

So much so that i have just got a spanking new wychwood 1 1/4tc barbel rod that is gonna be christened in crhistchurch bay very soon biggrin.gif

Great angling once again, and well done to the big fella for the double smile.gif

Edited by Gnasher

We tied yesterday evening, hoping that the wind had died off for the evening.... flat calm on leaving the run, but got lumpier all the way out, to the extent that big cresting rollers were standing on the singles ohmy.gif

We also found the brisk NW holding us off the mark and squeezing us along it. Very hard work and with just a couple of aborted takes in an hour we slowely headed back inshore - where we couldnt find anymore bait. Too dark by 9.30pm, so home with a blank.

Will try again later this week!

Well done guys - a cracking session.

We end the flood tide with a total of nine fish to me up to 8lb and 2 fish for Rupe of 6lb and 8lb.

What a result!

No such luck for us on Saturday, despite Alun J getting me up at 5.00am for a night launch at Wick. As we set off down river I was optimistically checking my digital camera in readiness for that Bass of a lifetime picture, confident that with Alun's expert knowledge and my new secret weapon we couldn

Gordon.

I've been discussing drogues recently but was put off by the thought of coming a cropper on a pot buoy and not being able to get away from of other such hazards in a hurry.

let me know more once you've had more practice, just keep this in mind

Cheers

PJ

We sometimes use a drogue. The main thing is to have a cord fixed to the pointy end to allow quick retrieval!

Al

What happens if you caught up on a pot buoy ?

How does the drogue work - do you have it attached to the stern cleat ?

When Alan says "Pointy end" I think he means of the drogue. So you can collapse it quick and pull it in quick.

I have used one I bought from Christchurch Boat shop years ago, can be effective even just slowing you down whilst feathering for mackerel.

When I had my 13ft dory I used to put it on the stern so I had stern facing the oncoming waves. Reason being, the bow tended to dip under any size wave in a swell! It would take on water in Poole Boating lake it was so low! Having the bilge pump on all the time got a little annoying!

Rob