Utopia Trailaway

Paul D

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Eastney slip has ample free parking, the shingle issues have largely been sorted but it IS quite a steep slip. Dry two hours either side of low water on tides above 4.0m (Nab). The harbour bed is reasonably firm for launch but a low water recovery would be better roped with the car wheels still on the slip.

Hayling slip is shallower in slope so kinder to cars on their limits, generally cleaner with respect to shingle and parking in the pub car-park is now free but there's limited space. There is a strong cross-current at mid-tide and the low water launch is as per Eastney side. A much busier slip, it can be heaving with PWC and WAFI at a weekend.

Neither slip has any road access problems. It is a tenner or so to launch, payable at the Harbourmaster's office above the Hayling slip. He is pretty lax about collecting, especially at the Eastney side. Speed limit in harbour is 10 knots and it is a bass nursery area. Be aware that off east winner bank to port as you exit the harbour entrance. Keep due south until you clear the marker post at the end of the winner about a mile offshore.

Steve

Not sure of dates yet. Gordon ( Manic Moore ) is organising I think, I can't do the next 2 weekends after this one though, so hopefully sometime after that - presumably on the smaller tides.

Would be great if you could do that Trevor.

I've been doing some research over the last few days and the medium to slow tides are week endings 8th July, 22nd and 29th.

I would suggest we set the 8th as our first date and if the weather gets in the way then 22nd etc

I have been in touch with the Southsea Anlgling club and I am waiting for their boat secretary to ring me next week. This may provide buddy boats and possibly a Burnham style competition for the day and some support with the slip way etc.

I would like to suggest we start a list of those interested in giving this trip a try

At the moment

Enticer - Gordon and Will Summerill our new member is interested in the trip

Adam and Trevor on OOTB ?

Neo with Paul and ?

Hi all

I am very tempted by a bit of hound bashing

If we do not go out this weekend and work on the boat , I would probably try and make this trip instead

Gordon I would like to go on the list as a last minute crew If a space were available

Charlie

Chatting with Gordon and I understand the plan is to meet up at Rownhams Services East on the M27 ( handy for you there Rich smile.gif ).

Will leave Gordon to post exact timings on here.

Directions to the slipway are as follows :-

Rownhams Services ( M27 Eastbound after Junction 3 - M271 junction )

Head Eastbound on the M27 and stay on M27 all the way to the M275 Portsmouth junction. Stay on the Outer 2 lanes and head towards Chichester/Havant A27 ( ie. Do NOT take the M275 )

Filter onto the A27 ( Road works along that section with 3 narrow lanes at moment and 50 MPH limit ). Take the next sliproad off onto the A2030 Eastern Road heading South towards Southsea / Fratton ( Portsmouth football ground )

Stay on Eastern Road ( which then becomes Velder Avenue at the end ) until you reach the end of the road where Portsmouth Football Club is straight ahead and there is a main road crossing. Turn left at the traffic lights here onto Milton Road

heading towards Southsea/Eastney

Follow Milton Road along and it will merge into Goldsmith Road. There will then be a park on the Left hand side ( Bransbury Park ). Take the left hand turning immediately after the park onto Bransbury Road ( Not sure but I think it is signposted to marinas or the ferry ? ) Follow this road where it becomes Henderson Road and then you will reach a tight right turn in the road where you turn left onto Fort Cumberland Road ( go past Ferry Road immediately to your left )

Stay on Fort Cumberland Road which will then become Ferry Road. Go past the marina to your left hand side and the slipway is the next turning on your RHS after the marina entrance on the LHS and just before you reach Eastney Cruising Association on the RHS. ( Slipway is right next to Eastney Cruising Assoc site ).

eastney.jpg