Utopia Trailaway

Paul D

I don't do early starts, except when my wife is getting up at 5.00am on Sunday morning to meet a taxi to Heathrow (off to sunny Florida on business). So just this once I'm unexpectedly available to crew, or take Fugazi for its first trip out since January. As I also have a 4 x 4 perhaps we can sort something out tomorrow night.

Gordon H

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice one Gordon. I am sure we can drum up some crew or you can come on Neo ( as my crew is happy to drop out if a club member wants to fish ).

( I suspect that my crewman is a little apprehensive at going out to the Nab ).

I'll be there bright and early with "CIMARRA"! and will happily dip and drag boats with my 4x4.

what sort of rigs should i be tying in readiness for the great hound hunt unsure.gif

Paul J are you hitching a lift with others to the slip as i will be arriving from the east, i have loads of frozen maccy, squid and sandeel but nowt else, how much shall i bring?

Simon L

Simon,

I fished for them with a simple sliding ledger. Not very good at saying what hook size is needed as I always find it hard to remember the sizes- I think we used 2/0 size hooks. Used around a 2-3 ft trace of 30lb BS line and used around 2 rod length of 40lb leader to braid. I started with 16lb trace but my first fish smashed me up, so increased the trace size.

For tope we used a wire trace of something like 40lb BS and similar size or maybe slightly bigger size hook as for the smoothies.

Squid is the bait to use for the smoothies. Mackeral for the Tope.

I have some info on marks to fish ( thanks to Seamouse and Westray )

Paul J - Feel free to drop car around mine and hitch a lift up with me.

Another day on and forecasts continue to jump all over the place for both days over the weekend..........

........it' s making my planning..............CONFUSED !

Sunday now looking a bit breezy!

Alun.

I'll be there bright and early with "CIMARRA"! and will happily dip and drag boats with my 4x4.

what sort of rigs should i be tying in readiness for the great hound hunt unsure.gif

Paul J are you hitching a lift with others to the slip as i will be arriving from the east, i have loads of frozen maccy, squid and sandeel but nowt else, how much shall i bring?

Simon L

You are launching and recovering on mid to high water so even if the slips have been trashed by the weather a 4x4 ought to cope. If they've been cleared then a standard saloon will manage, it is getting front spoilers over low mounds of gravel that causes the excitement.

Simple 3ft flowing trace for the hounds, 40-50lb bs in case they wrap up in the line, size 3/0 or 4/0 strong hook and nip the barb down to ease unhooking. A booby bead a few inch up from the hook doesn't put them off.

Single whole squid is a good bait option, even if the pin bream are in full pirahna mode it'll last 10 minutes or so and 5lb would be enough for two anglers I'd guess. Live hardbacks are the only way to avoid the small bream, a crab trap by the slip will usually pick up half a dozen while you get ready to launch. Should be plenty of mackerel on utopia unless the 'storms' have dispersed the shoals.

Steve

I would put my money on Sunday being the better of the 2 days. There will as I said be a ridge of high pressure surrounded by a complex system of low's.

If one looks at the Bracknel Met Office's prognosis charts on....

http://www.meteonet.nl/aktueel/brackall.htm

One can clearly see how the little ridge is forecast to develop, it will bring F2 to 3 Easterlies until it fills over Sunday night /Monday morning. The following week however will be the pits as a succession of low fronts bearing rain transit the UK accompanied by strong winds and thunderstorms.

Mad Mike

(looking at the Swiss clock as the little man comes out and the lady goes in)

Chaps,

Good news, the forecast is improving for Sunday:

Selsey Bill to Lyme Regis

Strong wind warning 1559 Fri 06 Jul 0300 Sat 07 Jul

Westerly winds could touch Force 6 at timesuntil early Saturday, mainly around exposed headlands.

Inshore waters forecast

24 hour forecast: 1800 Fri 06 Jul 1800 Sat 07 Jul

Wind West backing southwest 4 or 5, occasionally 6 at first, decreasing 3 or 4 later.

Sea state Moderate or rough decreasing slight or moderate.

Weather Isolated showers.

Visibility Mainly good.

Outlook: 1800 Sat 07 Jul 1800 Sun 08 Jul

Wind Southwest 3 or 4 veering north 2 or 3, then backing south later.

Sea state Moderate becoming slight.

Weather Fair.

Visibility Good.

Hope you all have a great trip!

Mike

I hate to be the bringer of bad tidings........I helped give a BASS presentation at the Southsea Sea Angling Club last night, and they told me to pass on to you guys that the slip you are intending to use is under a squillion tons of shingle, and unless the council move it today......which they feel is unlikely, you wont be able to launch even with a 4 x 4.

They did say that an alternative slip in Langstone Harbour was useable, and that only makes the steam out to the grounds about 20 mins longer.

Trailaway Cmmdre...please check on the states of the slips.

Rich

Not looking good this morning. I need to make a decision now, and 3-4 will be too sick.gif for Little Rob, so we will give this one a miss. It also means a 4am start for us, which is too early for me (but a 06:30 meeting for you guys is the right time).

Good luck on the trip chaps. I know we will be missing a good session. I expect we will go lake fishing instead. weep.gif

BF

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Selsey Bill to Lyme Regis

Issued by the Met Office at 0600 UTC on Saturday 07 July 2007

24 hour forecast:

Wind - West 4 or 5 becoming variable 3 or less.

Weather - Mainly dry.

Visibility - Good.

Sea State - Moderate becoming slight.

Outlook for the following 24 hours:

Wind - Variable 3 or less becoming west or southwest 3 or 4, perhaps occasionally 5 later.

Weather - Showers.

Visibility - Good.

Sea State - Slight.

Edited by Bob F

Ok folks, it is looking good for Sunday.

Thanks for the heads up Rich. You are right, 12' deep in shingle. So plan B is the slip way next to the Still & West Pub in Portsmouth. PO1 2JL (Bath Square)

This is on Portsmouth Harbour entrance and just adds a couple of miles onto the boat trip to Utopia.

That this moment I am uncertain on charges etc so I will continue to investigate and re-post. If anyone can help with advice on parking etc etc please ring or post. (07801146799)

The meeting at Rownhams is still the same, looking at leaving by 6.30am should get us to the slip for 7.15am ish.

The met office is reasonable and my contact at the Southsea AC feels we should be comfortable and they would only consider cancelling if it was going to move up to a 6.

As a contingency we have a few general marks if things do blow up

Any late comers still more than welcome just give me a call to let us know.

Slip way details

Camber Dock, Portsmouth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General information:

Long: -1.10804

Lat: 50.79207

Web Site: www.qhmportsmouth.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slipway information:

Phone Number: Ken Brown Boats (023) 9281 4246 or 07710 012804

Ramp Description: Wide ramp with a barrier entry system. You will require

Edited by Manic Moore