It's Official.....

pegleg

Just had a chap on the phone, very nice guy, Kevin Cousins with a 695 called Yelo in Cobbs Quay.

He is keen to join up and become part of the PBSBAC "Jeanneau Owners Club" and possibly another to chalk up for the cross channel brigade too.

He's been spying blink.gif on the forum as a guest for quite some time and I got the impression he used to be a member of the club so I am trying to convince him to rejoin.

Tom

Why did he leave?

It always intrigues me that some peeps pay their money to join then vanish ph34r.gif

This club is no different than others in as much as you only get out as much as you put in. Sit in the background and no one knows you

Different gravey mate!!! That is a top boat, well done!!!! I'm sure you will have no shortage of crew, as only the stupidest of members would turn down a chance of crewing on a boat like that!

Get some piccys uploaded mate, can't wait for to see what shes like...

You can even make the alderney trip now wink.gif

Dan

Hi Jason

Well done mate you hung on in there for the right boat

I hope you get many hours of fum over the comong season

remember to take your time and let the skills develope or take experianced crew a few times before getting to carried away.

If you need a few tips I woud be happy to help.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie.

I certainly will be taking it slowly mate and will be asking for the help and advice of the more experienced club members to come out with me and show me the way.. I did have a moment of bravery today and actually started her up . Tomorrows task is to make a cup of tea whilst listening to the vhf.........All exciting stuff ......yawn....yawn, and also hopefully meet up with the previous owner to go through the things i don't understand....so could be there some time. Cheers Jas

Mike, did you do the vhf Radio cert with the DSC addition or was it that long ago that it was only the vhf radio cert?

If you have not renewed your VHF license for over 5 years you will have to reapply for a new license, call sign and MMSI number.

Raido licenses are now issued for a lifetime instead of annually. Anyone with an existing license should have received their life time license when the old one expires this year. Those applying for a new license may have to pay a small one-off admin charge.

Licenses are about from the Ofcom website.

Maritime Mobile Service Identity (MMSI) Numbers. An MMSI is a unique nine digit number that identifies a particular ship or shore station. You enter it into your DSC VHF radio. It contains details of your vessel, etc which is transmitted when you press the DSC button to call for help. You can also use it to send point to point messages to your mates if you know their MMSI numbers.

We also have a club MMSI number to allow you to send DSC messages just to PBSBAC members. For example, you could poll all PBSBAC members and ask for their current GPS co-ordintates. If anyone acknowledges you, their GPS co-ordinates will automatically be sent to you.

Some vhf and plotter combinations allow the position of your mates boats to be shown on the plotter map. It's called the "Follow your Buddy" feature, I believe.

BF

Thank you for the info Bob. Yes I have the full DSC licence and it is about 5 years old. I have had a look and it says nothing about expiry date on it.

We have yet to have the VHF fitted together with a GPS. I would welcome any advice on combo's at the lower end of the price range. We have decided to have them installed professionaly as I am certain I could never get them to 'talk to each other'.

Mad Mike

lets not get confused over licences; or confuse others!

Mike has a new boat and as such will need to get a new ships station licence - apply online, include the request for an MMSI number, and Bob's your aunt it's issued lifetime now. Note the licence is the paperwork as no display badge is now issued.

Mike's licence will be his personal operators licence; if it includes DSC then nothing further to do.

Re equipement - spend the money on the gear not the installation; my choice now would be the set up Adam's got simply because he can request a position from any club boat via DSC and if they accept (!!!) their position is displayed on his plotter..........great safety feature ph34r.gifph34r.gif

Adam will no doubt point out if I have got that wrong!

If I remember correctly, Navman are the only company at the lower end of the market (where most of us live) who have the "Track-your- buddy" feature.

Mike, look at the Navman 7200 VHF (7100 or 7200).

Other makes at the lower end of the market allow the GPS and VHF to be connected togeather so that your GPS co-ordinates are displayed on your VHF screen (and hence your GPS co-ordinates get transmitted when you press the DSC button), but I don't think they allow the location of other boats to be displayed on the Plotter screen.

Adam has a Garmin 300x series GPS Plotter (higher end of the market) connected to an iCom VHF. The 300x has the necessary software to display DSC messages on the plotter screen.

I don't know if the new series of "low end" Garmin plotters, which have just been released, support this feature. There's not much information on them on the Garmin web site (can't download a User Manual, yet).

The VHF has to have the connections for NMEA output. Most only have NMEA input connections to allow it to receive the GPS co-ordinates from you Plotter.

Adam's Icom VHF does send NMEA out. However, the Icom M421 (which a lot of us have) does not have connections for NMEA output, so even if our plotters supported the displaying of DSC positions, the VHF could not send the appropriate signals.

My head's a bit screwed at the moment, so I could be talking a load of bolax. tongue.gif

BF

Edited by Bob F

Soounds right re. my set-up bob, havent got my mmsi in at the moment so havent checked, but it should work in theory.

Question: Ofcom sent me a load of bumf on my lifetime licence, however I'm unsure what to do, is my MMSI linked to this?

I've obviosuly sold BW now which is what the old licence was linked to and the the MMSI, or an I getting confused? So do I need a new licence, or just a new MMSI and to apply for my lifetime licence??

...if all that makes sense??

MMSI number is link to the DS unit, if you sell the boat with the unit on it, then the mmsi number goes to the new owner too. On theory if you retain the unit, you keep the mmsi number (not sure if you can change the name of vessel tho).

Your lifetime licence is a life time licence to use a vhf radio on your boat regardless if you have a vhf with DSC/MMSI.

Guidance pages from Ofcom site

User Guide for Ship Licences

Get yourself a logon and licence here Ofcom Page

You will need to apply for a ships licence and as part of this you will get an MMSI number for your new boat. All explained on above pages.

Free to do online now.

If tempted to do it by post it costs