Hooks

duncan

emotive subject but one I will confess facinates me - it's also a facination I can actually afford to indulge myself with which makes a pleasant change!

I have been sorting out the hooks I intend/aim to use this year and was struck by the wide range of manufacturers and styles I am looking at - hence this thread.

Where once I had Mustad BLN3261's in 8 to 8/0 plus some O'Shaunasey 'hooks' for those monsters of the deep I know have a diverse range from different manufacters that have caught my eye (and wallet - although they aren't that expensive..........)

Grauvell's titanium long shank hooks in 3/0 seem the perfect sand eel hook being thin,strong and light but this year I plan to use a small strong treble at the end of a pennel to rig launce in conjunction with this through the lips. Possibly two slightly larger trebles for small mackerel. Will experiment with a range of trebles I have aquired - all claiming to be strong, sharp and light! If the Grauvell are found wanting in the strength area I will happily revert to the Mirabeau Trolling hooks in 3/0 and 5/0 that worked so well drifting for flatties last year as penells or singles.

Main dowtide fishing will continue to use circles and semi circles mainly from Gamahatsu (thier Octupus circle range) with which I enjoy a great hook up rate to rays, conger and tope and I haven't lost a hooked fish in 3 years since starting to use them (circles). I will be exchanging the heavy Mustad's I have been using with the new Gamahastu in slightly thicker wire.

For bream I have gone full circle ( rolleyes.gif ) and it's back to Kamsan standard aberdeen patterns in small sizes and 'striking'. thin wire circles worked but wern't as much fun and inevitably ended up bent when unhooking fish sad.gif

Reading the above makes me wonder why I actually have around 30 distinct models in the bag at the moment........... unsure.gif

How about you?

Compare to you, Duncan I don't have much .............

I have a few set of circle for smaller fish like bream and whiting.

Small long shank for plaice/sole.

Various size treble for livebaiting floating for bass.

3/0 power hook for livebaiting portland rigging for bass.

6/0 mustad power hook for ray etc medium size fish

8/0, 10/0, 12/0 O'shaggie for congers

2 sets of giant hooks for skate.

I have SIX hooks from very little to quite large.They have lasted me well for the last ten years ,but are getting a bit thin now,due to having to scrape the rust off them for the first 4 years.I now keep them in an oil filled Tupperware box,and take them home every couple of months to wash/polish and examine them.Fortunately they don't often get messy fish on them ,so I expect them to last a little bit longer yet.I keep the points in trim with a diamond nail file,aas I find this does not remove too much metal.then a light rub over with jewelers rouge,and its just like new. laugh.giflaugh.gif jack

Gowd, I wish you hadn't of brought this one up, Duncan. mad.gif

I felt compelled to open up my hook boxes to see what I had...what a depressing sight. weep.gif Most of it was rust!!! sad.gif

I'm sure that 6 weeks ago there was once:

Various Varivas Big Mouth Xtras from 2/0 to 8/0 which I use for codding, bassing, tope and rays.

Bog standard O'Shaughnessy's in 6/0, 8/0 and 10/0 which I used for Conger and big Cod baits.

Kamasan B940's (Aberdeen's) of various small sizes which are used for bream, wrasse, flatties, etc.

And a box full of various circle hooks which I don't like using. I've never got on with circle hooks. Not because of poor hook up rates. I simply don't like the way they present the bait. There's no logical reasons, it's just an asthetic thing for me.

Now gotta look for a better method of keeping my hooks rust free. Maybe an oil bath like Jack. I think I'll use WD40 and not old engine oil like Jack. unsure.giflaugh.gif

BF

Edited by Bob F

I did exactly the same Bob.

Rust city for some of my old hooks, but most are OK as I covered them in Pilchard Oil ( the stuff stinks though ).

I like the Varivas Big Mouth hooks - just bought some more of these as they are great for the bassing with livebaits.

Two boxes of large hooks for eels / cod which are starting to corrode.

A pile of various other hooks - circles ( which I too am not comfortable using ) and some half circles.

Also found 3 Gemini disgorgers.

Rozzetii Big Mouths from UK Hooks for 80% of my fishing - strong, thin and very sharp - 3/0 - 6/0 (they come up small) for bassing.

I use normal black aberdeens for Bream, flatties etc

I also have a box of mixed circles which get airing from time to time.

All my hooks live in a 18"x12", 20 section box with a decent splash of oil in each section - none of them have rusted in 2 years.

Not something that I really think about a great deal, as long as they are sharp and strong enough to do the job I'll just buy whats in the shop.

Speaking to a match angler the other day though and was amazed at just how many different types of hook he uses.

When fishing a summer match for smaller species he will not use any hook unless it is silver as he then stands a chance of catching a Mackeral or Gar on the retrieve. Just goes to show how much preperation some people put in. Maybe thats why everyone else catches more than me. dry.gif

I have a selection of most of the above but one that I discovered last year seems peculiar to me. For worm baits when bream fishing, I now use the Vanadium Red Worm hook from UK hooks. The fish seem to hook themselves due, I'm sure, to it's unusual shape. It has the attributes of a circle (mostly lip hooking) without the difficulty of baiting up with worms.

Terry.

I have a selection of most of the above but one that I discovered last year seems peculiar to me. For worm baits when bream fishing, I now use the Vanadium Red Worm hook from UK hooks. The fish seem to hook themselves due, I'm sure, to it's unusual shape. It has the attributes of a circle (mostly lip hooking) without the difficulty of baiting up with worms.

Terry.

sounds an interesting hook - will look into it

ta

The fish seem to hook themselves

Personally, I find this the case with bream anyway, and is how I fish for them. Still using a std aberdeen, but I leave the rods in the holders and ignore the tap, tap that bream give, only picking the rod up when it is bent over.

Jury is still out with me, re. circles - I do like them and do use them, but when fished side by side with a J hook, the results never seem to convince me.

• 1 month later...

Varivas big mouth or Razorclaw big bend - size 5/0 - used for everything I fish for on the drift. Incredibly sharp, and strong, and not too heavy - I've never seen one bend out of a fish, and we've had pollack to 19lb, ling to 26lb, cod to 25lb and conger to 34lb on them. They are about the same gape as a 7/0 aberdeen, but without the long bendy shank that gets in the way. The perfect hook for live launce baits.

They don't really rust, but I tend to lose them in snags before they get to that stage. Apparently the sakuma manta is the same hook as well.

Also the 10/0 partridge seabeast is what I put on my pirks/conger rigs - think of a modern, chemically-sharpened bronzed o'shaughnessey and that's the hook. They're even cheaper than o'shaughnesseys!

Cheapskate as I am I am still using hooks bought in bulk when I was a kid over 40 years ago! cool.gif

Shows how much fishing I do. dry.gif

I have also added to the old stock with new circles in about 3 or 4 sizes and these I bought in bulk from Tackle Bargains.

Very Cheap- Seem to be great as they keep sticking me in the fingers!!! sad.gif

On the odd occsasion that I have had a bite they have hooked the fish! blink.gif

Rust is not a problem- I very rarely get them wet!!! unsure.gifunsure.gifunsure.gif

Pete

Hi all,

Can any one recommend an alternative hook to a treble when using mackeral as a live bait. The problem that I have with trebles is that although they are effective very often the hook is deep in the throat and difficult to remove without doing any damage, making it impossibe to return fish to the water.

Mike

The red worm hooks are ok, but are generally a once only use hook, I find, as with toothy fish like wrasse and bream, the red coating is stripped off after a few hook ups. I used these as a match hook, but after ten fish of each, cuckoo, ballan, bream, garfish, etc, they do loose their sharp edge.

The wide gape big mouths are good, and from UK hooks, they are a good price.

Also, the small black circles Mike does, are excellent for bream and wrasse also.

Rich

Hi all,

Can any one recommend an alternative hook to a treble when using mackeral as a live bait. Mike

as Adam said - big mouths are great for live mackerel. I was using the 5/0's with live mackerel up to 1lb in weight hooked in the mouth and out the top of the nose for ling and bass last year. The odd mackerel comes off (normally instantly), but that's a small price to pay to use such a good hook. The 6/0s have a thicker gauge wire by the way.

I use fine wire up to about 3/0 (mainly size 4 and 2 for ragworm), and something a little sturdier above that. The ease of setting these on light spinning gear makes these most effective.

I have bronzed hooks from 5/0 through to 7/0, and a few bigger ones of 10/0 should I ever need them - but must admit to having had little success in this size - even though doggies and rays seem to manage them.

Have plans for bigger fish this year - but think the existing hook range is ok. Just need to find some special marks, and anchor in deeper water I suspect.

Mike

PS Went to the market in Wimborne on Sunday and ermmm invested a fiver on 3 mini-plugs of about 2" length. Roll on the lure-only comp!