Launching Wick

lady jane

The most important factor regarding launching at Wick is the tide time at the Mudeford entrance. The sand bar is fairly critical and seems to have shallowed off during the winter; 3 of us had problems on the same day earlier in the year. Being very cautious, I like to allow 2 hours before low water to be clear of the bar so you have to remember you have about 15-20 mins from Wick to the entrance.

Launching from Wick is not too much problem but recovery, if you leave it too late can be difficult without a 4x4. There is a drop-off from the slip which your trailer will go over within about 1 hour of low water. Depending on the size of your boat, it takes quite a lot of power and traction to pull a laden trailer over this.

I expect others will give differing opinions depending on their skill/bravery but I find this works for me.

Terry B.

Quote....Launching from Wick is not too much problem but recovery, if you leave it too late can be difficult without a 4x4. There is a drop-off from the slip which your trailer will go over within about 1 hour of low water.

Different slip, years ago.......... Carol and I came back late on the ebb and eventualy had to winch the boat on to the trailer dry (we had a break back then), after doing so we found we couldn't move the rig with the car as the trailer had been off the hard and was now sitting in a well of muddy shingle. No worries say I, we'll come back later when the tide has returned and there must be a point that the bouyancy of the boat lifts the whole lot out of the soft mud.......

We went home which in those days was just a mile from the slip on Hayling Island, had cuppa and a rest. We estimated the time of our return to be about an hour after low. But we discovered just as we had to return that I had lost the car keys. With time agaist us and the clock ticking we had a quick look for them and then set out key less and car less to the boat. When got there it was now pitch black and we could see in the gloom that the boat was still there. I got in the water and waded out to the boat , scrambled up the trailer and then aboard. I dived for the locker with the spare rope and coiled it ready to throw..........

I shouted for Carol to give me a yell so I would know where to throw the rope to. ......... The answer came from about 50 yards to the left of where I expected it and I suddenly realised the boat, the trailer, and I were not only afloat but drifting in the creek!!

I shouted to Carol that I was adrift and jumped in the water holding the end of the rope that I had made fast to a bow cleat. We met each other in water just short of being over our heads and began hauling the boat back in. It was suprisingly easy too!. We had just enough strength left to pull the outfit to the top of the slip and block it off and make it fast to something before walking squelchily home.

We found the car keys down the setee next morning!!

Mad Mike

And there was me thinking that sort or unbelievable stuff only happened to me! My faith in human nature is restored. Sometime I'll admit to my escapade at Baiter. My pride is getting a little less fragile and the phone is still working!

Terry B.

wick isnt to bad....you can also flush the engine with some fresh(ish) water as you go back up the river. Ive put my boat in and out there many times, but it does get very busy as its a free slip, especially in the summer holidays.

The slip is very slippery, so be careful, i went ar$e over last summer......

On recovery, if the tide is low, just rope the boat out from the top of the slip, its never been a problem there for me and ive just got a vectra.( i know my boat is small, but ive helped others out with bigger boats last summer with no probs)

as already stated, its the entrance you need to watch.

Paul

Last time I was down there they had increased the car park charges AND included the trailer as a seperate charge! dry.gifdry.gif

WHat gets me is that you can park the trailer and car in one space, one of the van/lorry spaces but they expect x2 payments!

Coddy

cool.gif

Coddy,

True, but that ( technically ) is the case with the Wick car park as well. Although I cant see how they can enforce the charges for a trailer which is no longer attached to the car and is in the trailer park.

The Willow Way car park is still cheaper than Wick ( which costs

The answer is get up very early as its the early boater that gets the trailer spaces

Yeah but, Yeah but, Yeah but

Not if you then have to wait up to 4 hours for the tide and when you return can't get your trailer out cause its first in last out.

Gordon H

Get their early (before 7am) bang the trailer in the trailer park (no charge as how do they know?) and then whack the car in the lan alongside the CP all day for no charge...then just out up with the dozen summer sunday boaters in front of you when you return.

Just dont all do it on the day I go - their aint that much room! rolleyes.gif

No problems I would have thought, I have seen some big boats launched there ( Orkney 590 - Quiksilver etc ).

Maverick launched OK - just need to keep an eye on the lip at the end of the slipway ( retrieve on higher water advisable ).

But there again its easy to say it will be OK when not launching myself smile.gif

We'll have a go at trailing first, once the hitch has been adapted. Leccy winch and promised a big hand winch for backup.

Concerns me a bit about retrieval in poor weather as she is quite heavy.

unsure.gif

We'll just have to 'suck it & see'.

(Steady Mike ph34r.gif )

Trev and Andy,

If you ever get back in appalling weather and retrieval looks dangerous, see if you can leave the boat on the trot moorings off the Christchurch sailing club, just above the Clay Pool. This might need an "exploratory" visit one day to check it out, and the low tide depths (around 3-4 foot on neaps I seem to recall) - but it might just give you an option.

If you can get ashore via dinghy (or the club can help?), then it's not too far back to your car.

Just a thought.

Mike