Importing from the US...

domino

I know the pros and cons of buying electronics from the US has been touched on in another topic, so I thought I would share with you my recent experience...

Having made do with a Lowrance X25B Fishfinder since buying my boat 6 years ago, I decided it was time for an upgrade.

I started searching on the internet about two weeks ago and finally decided on an Eagle FishMark 480. It is a new model and not many people are currently stocking it in the UK, although it is available at JG Technologies in Weymouth, at

I had the same problem working out the import duty. I found it eventually on some EU web site which also lists all the taric numbers

Duty Rates

Anyhow, like you I found out they are 3.7 %

There is currently increased imort duty on certain items from the states ( Nuclear reactors, honey, friges, roller skates - but not GPS or fishfinders yet, thank god ! )

US "trade war"

I currently have my GPS/plotter unit awaiting collection by a friend ( saves me the shipping costs ) who will then pay the duty at Heathrow. I have a friend in the states who is willing to accept deliveries for me. We could order in bulk for the club and then I could go to New York and collect the items biggrin.gif . There are savings to be had here.

BTW: You may find you receive a bill for the import duty at a later date ( but this usually comes at the same time as the bill for the VAT and is collected by Royal Mail/ParcelForce )

regards Paul

Wonder away!

You will find that we can get Penn here cheaper than the US but Lowrance are the opposite despite being apparantly similar in brand values!

Both companies have both high value (Lowrance & Penn) brands and good value (Eagle & Jarvis Walker).

Penn seem to have taken the view that low prices secure distribution whilst Lowrance have select high margins to maintain theirs. Whilst you can't blame them for the failure of Simpson Lawrance (?) it realy does look as if Penn got it right over the last 10 years.

Can I suggest you look at the opportunities the Lowrance pricing gives you - I flew all the way to Miami to buy my LCX - 15mt and my equation looked like this:

2 flights to Miami with BA (a deal) 400

1 Lowrance lcx15mt 400

5 star hotel on water(4 nights) 0

(marriott points - they actually take them over there)

food etc - as at home

total 800

uk price (fixed) 860

net profit = millions of brownie points (she spent the 60 but what the hell!)

how's that for win win

I have spent a lot of time working around the Channel Islands with the Navy over a 5 year period.

I thought it would be a source of cheap "Vat Free" tackle but because of the limited demand and the shipping cost it generally is not the case.

Alderney as one of the smaller islands and thus has very limited shopping. and as you will not be there during the day the opertunitys to shop would be limited.

I have not been for a few years now but do not think it will have changed much.

Peter would know I am sure.

I would advise buying what you want if you can before you go from a large mail order outlet here or from US.

Charlie biggrin.gif

Alderney Angling can be a useful site/shop to know.

http://freespace.virgin.net/darren.braby/

Darren has a small online shop and sends his packages to the UK

marked as "gift" which usually avoids paying duty.

I've exchanged a few emails with him in the past, and he has always been very cooperative and polite.

Definitely a good contact for updates on the local fishing. Worth talking to if you intend to do any fishing from the shore in the evening.

Bob F.

Moi ( provided it all works OK ) smile.gif. Good news re: warranty as well, according to user manual if needed you can take it to the Garmin centre here ( in Romsey ).

I shall defnitely get other stuff this way.

Only glitch was the customs at Heathrow were apparently not very efficient. My work colleague was kept waiting there for 15 mins and they had trouble operating the till !!

GPS/Sounder now installed, The transponder is somewhat larger than the one I replaced.

.I had gone for the internal antenna model, but wish I had got an external antenna ( especially as my cuddy has already been drilled where a GPS aerial was previously mounted ).

Anyhow, the satellites are detected from my driveway ( which is quite obscured ), although the WAAS/EGNOS signal cant be seen from the driveway - I assume this is up and running ( according to the web site it is "Live" in April )

Christchurch Harbour and River Avon are on the map provided ( along with the A31 ) !! - A Bluechart is definitely going to be my next purchase though.

Well pleased, especially as I actually had the total cost in the post earlier wrong. The VAT and Duty was