Smoking Your Catch

Wedger

Found these food smokers for a friend who is going to install one in his new kitchen.

As there has been a little chat on the subject just wondered if y'all were interested.

There are more out there but these seem quite good and are available locally.

See them here

Enjoy tongue.gifbiggrin.gif .

T

Jeepers Terry ohmy.gif

You need to sort out some proper cold smokin' for those darlin's wink.gif

I could get you started on the cheap and show you how to build a good cold smoker. I've built a few cold smokers over the years. The last one I used for 10 years before I moved house. A hot smoker takes a little more thought as you need V accurate temp. control for best results. It is however, very doable.

Once you have your smoker, and of course, learn how to use it, the most crucial thing is to ensure you have the best possible materials. You must also learn how to judge the quality and condition of your food through all stages of production, allowing you to adjust each process and achieve perfection.

I've been out of this for a few years, and historically my main interest is in cold smoking, and I'll gladly pass on any tips you may need.

Personally, I would avoid the tin pot, gimmick smokers other than perhaps for a Barbie do, just as a change.

Smoking history, tells that smoking was all about preservation of food in a palatable form without the need for refrigeration or freezing. Indeed the later weren't available when the processes were developed. Initially I understand it was used and developed to enhance the flavour of cured and pickled food after accidental discovery. There was then the realisation that smoking further extended the shelf life of the produce. Smoking therefore, is only one part of the preserving process, yet the one always referred to. Curing through dry salting, brining or pickling is always used as the primary method of moisture reduction, which is an essential part of the wider preservation process. Air drying after curing is sometimes used before cold smoking and further processes may be used such as cooking or cooking in a Smokey atmosphere, i.e. hot smoking (but not always). Each process reduces moisture and/or imparts a preserving agent (salt, spice, condensed smoke etc).

Oops! huh.gif

I'm wafflin'

If you are serious about it there

Terry,

Here's the link to the Kate Walker book.

If you do buy of course, for goodness sake use the Club's link to Amazon or Maverick will hang us both. ohmy.gifblink.gif

- I took liberty of editing so we get commission if this link is used. - thanks PaulD

• 9 months later...

Prior to smoking, although not necessary, some prefer to lightly dress with olive oil, and a nice twist would be oil which is primed with lemon zest. This is not traditional but nonetheless a delicate and personal touch.

Hang the sides in your smoker by the pectoral lugs skewered through, and also a skewer through the head dorsal area.

Ensure the fillets aren

The smoker is a 45 gallon galvanized drum. Top cut out and 4" hole in the bottom for the smoke transfer pipe. Simple lid of roofing tin, corrugated to let the draft through. Hessian sacking acts as a fly screen and draft damper. Simple rails to hang the food from. Smoke box is a 25 litre drum on its side with the transfer pipe let in tightly at the top on the closed end. The lid forms the door and I use the 1" and 2" caps to let in the air supply. Simply by rotating the lid and using whichever hole is needed. Draft always at the bottom. The smoke is generated by fine hardwood dust packed into a roasting tray and set smouldering. I currently use oak but beech is equally good.

Use fine dry dust to create a continuous slow smoulder. Avoid fast burning as this wastes dust and creates heat which you don't want.

Fill the tray with dust and compact down, leaving it ramped at one end where you will start the burn. Use a blow torch or hot coals to start an even burn removing any coals before loading the smoke box. with the dust and tray I currently use, it will smoke for 5-7 hours, weather dependant.

It is important to note that you don't need lots of smoke, a mere whiff will do. If you have lots you will be creating heat. The required smoke is very little as all you are doing is allowing a small amount to condense onto the food and be absorbed. This process is affected by the dehydrated state of the food, time and to some extent the temperature.

Hope this helps.

post-13-1157364943jpg

Edited by Wedger