Holding Bottom

DaleJ

Good morning all,

After some advice or simple words of wisdom with regards to anchor holding bottom.

Ventured out yesterday with a friend with a little trepidation due to the strengthening souwesterly. The trip down through the harbour was a little rougher than normal but surprisingly when we went through the entrance the sea state wasn't to bad so we ventured on out and went in search of some rays.

got to the mark easy enough and dropped anchor but we simply couldn't hold bottom, fished this mark a few times now and never had trouble holding, I put it down to the wind pushing the boat.

Are there any solutions anyone can throw my way or is it simple inevitable that wind will push the boat?

Thanks

Dale

Strange mate, small tide yesterday!

Were you on the secret mark?

How much lead?

What line?

How big were your baits? Huge baits will catch the tide more.

If your rods are bumping the lead up and down, let out more line and fish slacker, again, might need more lead. Sometimes you need to let it hop back a bit to get a bow in the line and reduce the bounce.

R

I am reading this as the boat anchor not holding bottom. Not huge tides so you shouldn't have had a problem. The obvious answers are a) your anchor isn't heavy enough; not knowing your boat and length I couldn't guess at this b) You don't have enough chain or c) you didn't have enough rope out, This is so your anchor and chain are laid on the bottom and not being pulled up.

Terry.

Hi Rob,

Yeah it was the anchor not holding, not had trouble there before.

Will try letting more rope next time and see if that helps

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Strange mate, small tide yesterday!

Were you on the secret mark?

How much lead?

What line?

How big were your baits? Huge baits will catch the tide more.

If your rods are bumping the lead up and down, let out more line and fish slacker, again, might need more lead. Sometimes you need to let it hop back a bit to get a bow in the line and reduce the bounce.

R

What type of anchor are you using? The usual one chosen in our area is a Bruce (type) as this seems to be a good compromise on our mixed ground. In case you're not familiar with the terminology, an anchoring set up comprises the anchor and rode which is made up of the rope or warp, chain, shackles etc. Apologies if you already knew this.

Terry.

Usual rule of thumb is to have a length of chain at least as long as the boat. The chain acts as a shock absorber so as the boat rises and falls it lifts the end of the chain (where it joins the rope) but leaves the anchor lying flat on the bottom hence still dug in. If you change anything in the setup and try it out its worth just doing one thing at a time so you can tell what is having the most impact.

Good luck!

Currently using a "Danforth" anchor that the boat came with, anchor is connected to a chain, shackle and 150ft of rope.

Wonder if I should be looking at a different style of Anchor for our local fishing.

As Terry said should i look at a "Bruce" style anchor? 

Danforth Anchor.jpg

36 minutes ago, DaleJ said:

Currently using a "Danforth" anchor

Ideal for sand, not so good on mixed or snaggy ground, being sharp and pointy they can easily become jammed. Definitely get a Bruce! Also consider an Alderney ring set up for retrieval, if you're not sure how it works, bag a ride on another member's boat and they can share the technique. What length is your boat for weight purposes?

Anchor Bruce / Force / Claw - Anchors - Chandlery | M.E.S. Marine

Terry.

These Anchors (Danforth) are commonly used by the Rag and Stick brigade or the boat rammers as otherwise known (controversial)

I have one I took off a boat I bought, I replace it with a Lewmar Delta Anchor which I quite like. Some Bruce are copies and look a little distant from original design but they do work. It is either of the two mentioned with possibly a wire anchor for rocks that can be pulled straight if stuck in. It is all about the right weight for boat size, plenty of chain normally equivalent to weight of the anchor. I would guess about 6kg would be good. 

BTW always use a fishermans trip when connecting your Anchor, that is cable tie through the chain on the upper shank and at the hook end connect the chain with a shackle so the anchor can be pulled out backwards when the cable ties break under pressure.

When dropping your anchor over roughish ground don't be hasty, it is as common to trap the piled up chain as it is the anchor, so lay out your chain with a little bit of engine reverse.

11 minutes ago, plaicemat said:

Ideal for sand, not so good on mixed or snaggy ground, being sharp and pointy they can easily become jammed. Definitely get a Bruce! Also consider an Alderney ring set up for retrieval, if you're not sure how it works, bag a ride on another member's boat and they can share the technique. What length is your boat for weight purposes?

Anchor Bruce / Force / Claw - Anchors - Chandlery | M.E.S. Marine

Terry.

Hi Terry,

I own an Orkney 520 so she's just a shade under 18ft.

Do own an alderney ring but never really used it in anger. will get our and practice with it.

1 hour ago, DaleJ said:

Pretty much in the middle of my areas of expertise, last boat was a Warrior 16.5ft for which a 5kg was perfect, current one is 6.25m for which I use the next one up, 7.5kg. I would have thought the latter for yours.

Terry.

Hi Terry,
Do own an alderney ring but never really used it in anger. will get our and practice with it.
Go 5kg Bruce and chain. Chain "length of boat" is a guide, but it need to weigh more than anchor, to help with Alderney ring lifting, so get 6kg of chain.

Set it all up to trip, and you'll be golden.

Perhaps we can pop out one evening and do Alderney practice?

R

11 hours ago, DaleJ said:

Ordered a new 7.5kg Bruce this afternoon, once it’s here I’ll get it sorted and give you a shout Rob. 👍🏻

Dale you work to quickly I have one spare, well truth be known I have several spares of different patterns.

If you don't receive or send it back for any reason get in touch.

Hi Mal,

I don't tend to mess about, If I need something I just get on with it 🙂, Time is precious, especially when it comes to fishing

I have cancelled it over night as it appears a 7.5KG may be a little overkill.

Could you let me know what have kicking about before I get click happy and order something else?

2 minutes ago, DaleJ said:

Hi Mal,

I don't tend to mess about, If I need something I just get on with it 🙂, Time is precious, especially when it comes to fishing

I have cancelled it over night as it appears a 7.5KG may be a little overkill.

Could you let me know what have kicking about before I get click happy and order something else?

Ok will do