When Trips just do not go to plan.

Mal Thomas

Looking to go offshore for something to put a bend in the rods Saturday with a slow neap tide. We were up early and off the pontoon by 6.15am, what a beautiful time of day to cruise through the Harbour.

Wind as forecasted at the start but building quickly, we hoped for some IOW shelter once we crossed the Bridge. A slight improvement, enough for us to plough on and everything still very safe. Looking through my bow roller I could see someone on the mark. The seas were building and I had resigned myself to have a chat with the fisherman and probably move to more sheltered waters. The boat was Squidward III a popular you tube poster and very recognisable, they were also surprised by the wind and not very comfortable. As we talked my bow was below the level of the wave approaching and time to run for calmer waters. The boat was unphased but we were being tossed around a bit. We headed towards freshwater and we had a good mark all to ourselves. With wind beating the tide and lines going up to the bow and no sign of improvement we decided enough was enough and went to Alum bay for some shelter. We found a feature and dropped the anchor in unknown waters. We soon realised we were close to chosen route for motor boats seeking anchorage under Alum bay cliffs. 

One particular 40 plus footer with fly bridge and G & T glass holders was approaching me dead a stern, plumb centre with no altering off course. When about 150 yards I sounded my nice new twin horn, It made us deaf but had no effect on the numbskull piloting this very large vessel almost on our down tide fishing lines. I was fuming, he has put us in a stressful situation with no consideration, my engine was running with me looking over my shoulder looking to take evasive action. What a complete ----. All very unnecessary. 

Still nothing but dogfish on our catch account and 50 litres of fuel used my round trip included a stop at Milford On Sea to see if my Thorney mark might save the day.

Thankfully it did with 3 in quick succession and some blistering run offs with the baits. The largest did not make it on the boat, a small double. With the day half salvaged and some nodding heads it was time to run home and complete the day with a good wash down, how does the boat get it such a mess, even washing down during the day !!

Whilst writing this I wished I had videoed the day, note to self must get a suitable set up for recording. 

42 minutes ago, Mal Thomas said:

Looking to go offshore for something to put a bend in the rods Saturday with a slow neap tide. We were up early and off the pontoon by 6.15am, what a beautiful time of day to cruise through the Harbour.

Wind as forecasted at the start but building quickly, we hoped for some IOW shelter once we crossed the Bridge. A slight improvement, enough for us to plough on and everything still very safe. Looking through my bow roller I could see someone on the mark. The seas were building and I had resigned myself to have a chat with the fisherman and probably move to more sheltered waters. The boat was Squidward III a popular you tube poster and very recognisable, they were also surprised by the wind and not very comfortable. As we talked my bow was below the level of the wave approaching and time to run for calmer waters. The boat was unphased but we were being tossed around a bit. We headed towards freshwater and we had a good mark all to ourselves. With wind beating the tide and lines going up to the bow and no sign of improvement we decided enough was enough and went to Alum bay for some shelter. We found a feature and dropped the anchor in unknown waters. We soon realised we were close to chosen route for motor boats seeking anchorage under Alum bay cliffs. 

One particular 40 plus footer with fly bridge and G & T glass holders was approaching me dead a stern, plumb centre with no altering off course. When about 150 yards I sounded my nice new twin horn, It made us deaf but had no effect on the numbskull piloting this very large vessel almost on our down tide fishing lines. I was fuming, he has put us in a stressful situation with no consideration, my engine was running with me looking over my shoulder looking to take evasive action. What a complete ----. All very unnecessary. 

Still nothing but dogfish on our catch account and 50 litres of fuel used my round trip included a stop at Milford On Sea to see if my Thorney mark might save the day.

Thankfully it did with 3 in quick succession and some blistering run offs with the baits. The largest did not make it on the boat, a small double. With the day half salvaged and some nodding heads it was time to run home and complete the day with a good wash down, how does the boat get it such a mess, even washing down during the day !!

Whilst writing this I wished I had videoed the day, note to self must get a suitable set up for recording. 

Thanks Mal

A Great report and valuable one too Mal. Sad to see it did not totally not go to plan.

We almost went out Yesterday ourselves but decided not to due to the uncertainty of the wind and sea state. Being spring time I have so much timber treating to do in the garden so unfortunately due to the long spell of dry weather forecast that one has taken precedent. I hate it with a passion !!!

Thanks again for the report which has confirmed that we had made the right decision albeit a reluctant one  !!!! ☹️

Greg

My Dad was from the industrial north.  His favourite was Used engine oil mixed with Creosote.

It was superb and thieves hated it!

Not sure it looked pretty enough for these days and wouldn't comply with safety "box ticking" though. 🙂

2 hours ago, Jim said:

My Dad was from the industrial north.  His favourite was Used engine oil mixed with Creosote.

I used to do the same, the creosote preserved the wood and the oil waterproofed it, I'm surprised nobody patented it. Of course, we cannot get creosote any more, damn the EU!

Terry.

It was banned for the public in the early 2000's but implementation has been spasmodic. It appears I'm fractionally previous as it is due to finally be implemented later this year https://www.octopost.co.uk/other-pages/the-future-of-creosote-posts/#:~:text=Coal-tar creosote has been,risks associated with the use.

Terry.

On 5/28/2023 at 11:46 AM, Mal Thomas said:

I was out a few weeks ago and I seemed to be the target for quite a few of these idiots. I spent a large part of my day holding on for dear life as their wake threw us all over the place. 

All that sea and they have to choose the bit I was anchored in!!

Well done for getting out, but these Easterlies are making the water much lumpier than they should be for the strength of the wind.

Just a warning,

The last couple of times I have been out on the Secret Ray mark, it has been on the yachting racing course and I had to shout at a yacht heading straight for me. I then saw two heads pop up and suddenly change tack!!! 

Worrying to know that no one was keeping watch at the helm !!!

Note to self. I must get a loud horn.

Greg

On 5/28/2023 at 11:46 AM, Mal Thomas said:

I wonder if that was the same G&T guzzling T@&T that decided to plough past me at about 25 yards whilst I was out my hatch pulling the anchor up!! Like you say the whole ocean and they feel the need to scrape past you!! Sure they all have a giggle when they see us holding on for dear life!!