Best hand held vhf ??

Tarlach.

As the Southampton boat show is soon upon us, I thought I’d go see if I could grab a bargain hand held vhf . Only needed as an emergency back up but, I don’t want a sh1t one. It needs to be dsc, waterproof and have a good battery and range.

What do you guys have and recommend ?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Neil,

I have the Icom  IC-M33 VHF Marine tranciever.

A few of us bought them at the same time. Not sure of the price but just over £100 I think.

I think I bought it about six years back.

It's waterproof and floats. ( I've never tested that though )

It still holds a good charge and has never had any issues.

The floating bit is very important though I believe.

Hope you find a bargain.

Jim

Hi Neil,

I like the standard horizon range part of the YAESU brand can't give you a preferred model number as mine is about 5 years old and non dsc but has performed well over the years floats upright(not tested) and has good battery life and range.It was about £130 then but assuming range has evolved a dsc type must be available now for the same price although their HX890E DSC type is around £200 sale price on some sites.

Another plus for the brand for me is that their main support office was in Winchestetr.I also have a standard horizon fixed dsc vhf which is great.

I know many people swear by ICOM but my personal experience with this brand when I used to use their VHF/UHF handhelds (non marine bands) for communicating during work projects was not the best regarding reliability and battery life problems.

When they did work they were very good but they used to visit repair centres quite regularly .

YAESU have some really low cost handhelds (around £60 ) and make good kit.

I use the  Standard Horizon HX870E Handheld Vhf with DSC as aback up. I've had it almost 2 years, I keep it in my go bag. I've not been out this year, but this reminded me to check it and its still at almost full charge. Well over 6 months since I last checked it.

Paid about £200.00 for it as it was DSc and GPS built in. I think its been replaced by the HX890 now.

• 2 weeks later...
I use the  Standard Horizon HX870E Handheld Vhf with DSC as aback up. I've had it almost 2 years, I keep it in my go bag. I've not been out this year, but this reminded me to check it and its still at almost full charge. Well over 6 months since I last checked it.

Paid about £200.00 for it as it was DSc and GPS built in. I think its been replaced by the HX890 now.

I ended up purchasing the SH HX890 for £190!

Thanks for the advice given !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk