I Boating GPSPlotter

Raymond Ellerton

Hi

Are you looking to navigate with an iPad

Not sure how this would manage a long passage

I use my navionics plotter around Poole arbour if driving MVS boats but it will switch off after s time

It may be worth going out we with someone with installed kit for s comparison

Happy to help if you share fuel eyc.

Tony

I only need to navigate to the wreack fishing and good fishing spots like southbourne ledge The GPS shows my position and the water chanels but happy to take a bit of trianing with some experianced guys. I have been playing with the App and starting to get it set the Routes and way points

Regards

First set in to your plotter all of the waypoints that you have and are interested in fishing.

Plus any points of safety such as the end of the swash channel and East Loue buoys.

When going out you need to do a simple passage plan. 

My recommendations for this would be to tie it up with the key factors that you have no control over, such as Bridge lifts and tides.

You may not need the bridge lifts to get out, so avoiding them to keep away from the busy times in a congested area may be a good idea.

Tides because of the fishing [some fishing needs slack tide , others need a good drift speed] but also to stop pushing against strong tides, strong tides around reefs and shallows give over falls [waves] that can make a huge difference to the sea state.

Sorry this is a bit short, but its only a starter.

Best advice would be to go out a couple of times with an experienced skipper or take one as crew. and get them to show you a few pointers.

PM me if you have specific questions and I will try to help

Charlie

Thanks Charlie

The First trip will be to take missue to see the airshow off Bournemouth pier. have set some waypoints to get me from Davis yard. and out but really just playing with the App to get used to it. Do i need to set a waypoint for every turn in the harbour. or just track where i am and keep to the channels

I only need to navigate to the wreack fishing and good fishing spots like southbourne ledge The GPS shows my position and the water chanels but happy to take a bit of trianing with some experianced guys. I have been playing with the App and starting to get it set the Routes and way points

Regards

Hi

Are you looking to navigate with an iPad

Not sure how this would manage a long passage

I use my navionics plotter around Poole arbour if driving MVS boats but it will switch off after s time

It may be worth going out we with someone with installed kit for s comparison

Happy to help if you share fuel eyc.

Tony

Tony that sounds great when can you take me out NP fuel glad to pay for all of it

Thanks Charlie

The First trip will be to take missue to see the airshow off Bournemouth pier. have set some waypoints to get me from Davis yard. and out but really just playing with the App to get used to it. Do i need to set a waypoint for every turn in the harbour. or just track where i am and keep to the channels

Hi Ray

That sounds like a great chance to try it out. I would drop a line while there watching the Air Show, we have had fun on light gear over the years [Just to the South of the exclusion zone]

Ref the waypoint at every turn, IMHO not required if the plotter shows the deeper channels in the Harbour. Just observe the rules of the road. [international collision regulations] transiting on the stbd side of the channels at the correct speeds.

However if the plotter does not show the channels then it would be worth doing.

I would use waypoints to mark the position of the East Looe channel buoys, then a couple of points of interest to practice going to, Inner Poole Patch, Lobster Rock etc etc.

• 2 weeks later...