Dogfish Dave

jerry.shutter

After an introduction to match fishing by Dave and coming 5th last year in his comp, I decided to put a crack team together. This was helped by the fact certain people were in Norway and Dave needed a boat to fish on!!!!! This also reduced the opposition greatly!!

With bacon butties on board and the promise that a defibrillator was at the end of c pontoon we coaxed Neil on board!! So with myself Jerry 2,Neil, and Dave we made the 8.30 bridge, what I did not know was Dave had a very secret weapon onboard, with around 2 minutes before the lift he called for the net, this immediately fell apart!! (Great start skip,what sort of boats this!!!)was all I heard, some quick thinking had a plump 1lbs+ Flounder hit the deck. Happy days. Pushing out through the harbour with Martin on Madness leading the way, Jim taking some great photos and Mal looking half naked with out his pink pinney we parted company heading east. We fished around 5 marks in the day all producing what was expected from them except one. The secret weapon was used when conditions were correct and no other boats were within view, Dave nervously announced something strange and special was coming up, and low and behold the Tope mark prouduced a plump Dover Sole!! I think with Neil and myself prouducing a large shadow on the water it thought it was dark and was on the feed!!!
We moved to the secret Ray mark as the wind dropped to absolutely nothing and also unfortunately the tide, hot sausage rolls and bacon butties kept the team going, and after struggling for a bass and a plaice Neil just mentioned a certain secret plaice mark so onwards and upwards.
Skipper had not even got a line in the water and Neil had a double shot bass and Plaice!!! After a stunned silence Neil got a round of applause. Happy days we were up and rolling again. Off for a Pollock at the castle after the wind had decided to really pick up along with the tide, mmmm skipper had to try a bit harder here to hold station, I had just discovered Dave's past life was coxswain of a life boat in the Solent, it must of pained him as we struggled to stay on station. Unfortunately Pollock did not play ball so even though early,we headed to the famous secret Tompot mark. Within a couple of minutes Dave had hurtled us into the lead, though we didn't know at this time. Eel and mullet eluded us in Holes, but half the crew disappeared when we got moored up, I thought nature being the reason, no Dave sniffed out a Peroni aboard a fellow competitors boat!!
Scrubbed up and in the bar for 5.45 Doonbar flowed and a great curry or chilli was consumed.Only 9 boats had taken part but suprising seeing the prizes on offer.
I was delighted to hear we had managed first place ( due considerably to DD VERY secret weapon and Neil's local knowledge)
Second was Crazy Fred on Beowulf  SeaWolf
Third Martin on Madness
Fourth Greg on Marlin who had a junior team to watch out for,one of whom had a 8.5lbs Bass on July 1st

Hope all the above is correct. We had a really great day thanks to Dave and Kerrys had work. It takes a lot of hard work to put something.ike this on so many thanks.

PS Those in Norway can stay there giving us all a shout in various comps!!! Hope your having fun.

Edited by Maverick
Altered Freds boat name

Great write up Jerry,

Dave and Kerry organise what I think is one of the best competitions on the calendar.

They make a lot of effort and it is greatly appreciated.

At the presentation Dave Wilson asked that if anyone had any suggestions on how to make the competition better?

My suggestion is LEAVE IT AS IT IS

It's Brilliant

Greg

Jerry many thanks for a great write up.  I had a great day with great company on a superb boat.  It was just one of those days for me, it all just happened as we planed, with one or two bonus fish which makes the difference if you are going to win.  For the Dogfishdave comp a great result to have a new name on the trophy, we all fished hard, moved when we had to, we had a plan that worked, well nearly all apart from the secret ray mark, I think the secret is out as we had no rays, so I think we need another secret ray mark, a certain Mr Thomas has one.  We raised £200 for Julia's House which will be added to the money raised on our summer party on 22nd of this month.  Tickets on sale this week £6 a head, all boats berthed at Cobb's welcome book early.            

Great write up Jerry,

Dave and Kerry organise what I think is one of the best competitions on the calendar.

They make a lot of effort and it is greatly appreciated.

At the presentation Dave Wilson asked that if anyone had any suggestions on how to make the competition better?

My suggestion is LEAVE IT AS IT IS

It's Brilliant

Greg

Arrange it on a day I can fish!!!