An Evening on JV

Rob

I had a message from Adam Sunday evening to ask if i wanted to head out for a late session after work, of course! The plan was simple, anchor in not too much tide and see what happens.a

After AJ supplied some uber fresh macs for bait (appreciated Al!), i met Ad at PBM. The tide was falling and we were only in 3 to 4ft of water, Ad eased her out in "beach mode" and we were in the main harbour in no time.

With a big tide we chose a spot, not too far out. We dropped the anchor just as the tide was dying and settled down in the sun for a bit of mixed fishing.

We went with heavey traces as tope were expected. Silence was broken by a thornie to me and then the tope arrived. Nothing massive (weight in high teens) but good sport.

Adam got he hands on a conger prob 25lb, brought aboard for a photo before being released.

I as the tide built we got stuck in to hot fresh pies, salad and new potatoes, beautiful with a bottle of beer!

We got to 12oz of lead and i have a 7lb Small Eye, that was a battle in the tide, testing the gear and my knots!

Then came the need for 16oz of lead, at this moment, Ad hit in to something big. we expect a nice blonde ray. once lifted from the bottom, it sailed downtide taking full advantage of the flow. Adam didn't stand a chance, it was fun to watch!

There were a few doggies in the mix and a pout for good measure.

With a blue shark caught by Piscary on sunday whilst ray fishing (at the secret ray mark, i believe) it would have been ruse not to put one of my special chum bags over the side to see if there was anything notable about!

We saw some shocking \ submerged buoys on the way out so anchor up at 22:00 and a cruise back in the last of the light.

Aleady washed down and tidy, we were in the cars and away at 22:45. Kit away and in bed by 23:15 - result!

Thanks Ad, another good session on JV.

Rob

Thanks for the report Rob.

I used to do loads of this type of fishing, and whilst the big weights arent as nice as 4oz leads when drifting, I had forgotten how much fun it can be... no steaming miles and up and down on the drift, nice and relaxing, and ace to be bent into some fish that really pull back for a change!

Ive had 2 x 30lb plus Blondes off this mark in the past and suspect I was hooked into something similar that smashed me, after stalemate of some 5 mins of the fish just nodding tight to the bottom under the boat, once it moved off in the tide, even my 30lb Saltist and MXJ Avet didnt stand a chance as it peeled line off max drag....

I suspect we will be doing a few more evening sessions this summer!

Looks like the area we used to fish together with Blue Warrior and Great White Adam

the same ground Wendy and I fished 10 days ago :ph34r: for the first time in years

Cracking pictures of a fully loaded rod  :D , downside of the lever drags, once you reach sunset there is nowhere to go  :(. some times you feel a need to add just a bit more pressure, but cannot.

As you say we will also be back :)  :)