Shown up at the Shambles

jerry.shutter

Trip organised for 23.5.17 even though 24th looked better. Headed out on the 6.30 bridge with Jerry 2 and another mate Barry on board. After last years trip I learnt it's important to work with the tides on a longer trip and we ran down to St Albans in 45 minutes and found what looked like a good lot of Mackerel, after 30 mins and only 2 Mackerel and a Pollock we headed on down for the last hour off the ebb, fairly quickly Jerry 2 hooked and lost two Turbot at the net, at Slack water launce played the game and gave us some more fresh bait, along with a weever for the species hunt. LSD showed as well, Jerry 2 then caught 3 small Turbot while l made tea and Barry stirred it! I managed a Spotted Ray , but might be blonde, photo to follow, and Jerry 2 caught 2 more Turbot!!!! and Barry caught his first on the last drift.

Great day and 5 more species even if the skipper had forgotten how to fish! Two hours back and we caught the 6.30 bridge.

Filled up with fuel ready for the next trip, 2 pints of Doombar and planning the next one!!

Hi Charlie,

248 litres which is a lot less than last time, going to look at diesel outboards when the 5yr Yam warranty runs out!!! I did say look!!.

It was much better thanks, and the auto pilot made things much easier now I've got that one sorted. Love to know what you diesel boys use down there and back?

I'm sure Rob had a 300hp on Looby before you bought her,might be worth a call to see what fuel he burnt with that on the back.

As a general rule you need a 100hp per ton to get the best performance,l have 245hp and Wishin weighs 2.5 ton.

When we went up last weekend we burnt 265 litres going but we were at one point over 26 miles offshore hopping wrecks then into Portland, following day out to the shambles drifting and back into Portland before refueling.  Engine hours were approximately 10.5 hours so just over 24 litres per hour.  On the way up we did not turn the engine off even when drifting so that time includes a length of time at tick over.  Not sure what we used coming home most of which would have been cruising but will fuel up at the weekend and post here

Thanks Guys,

I am still fairly new to this type of boat/engine but know if I push up the revs and get around 20 knots I am burning around 65 litres per hour, if I am more sensible at around 14 knots then I burn around 52 litres per hour. Rounding up figures and saying Shambles are 20 miles, then you would burn 80 litres there and back Nigel? So I am burning more than twice as much as you?

Yes mad Rob had a 300 on the boat which had minimal hours but I felt I didn't need that many horses, on his new cat he has twin 300s and it flies, he never seems to worry about fuel!!!!! It's not a major worry/problem I love the boat so will keep on learning and using the tides to my advantage.

Has anyone in the club any experience of Diesel outboards? I know they have been around for a while but assume not perfected as not popular or widely available. I might go to Seaworks and have a look as there are a few going to be there.

The Navy was very keen to help to develop Diesel outboards to get away from carrying petrel on ships just for the boats.

but the power to weight ratio was very poor

a lot of development since then, may have sorted it out.

about 50 ltrs each way transiting to/from Weymouth for us, if we use the tides.

Plus a fair amount for the drift fishing

Yes Jerry I would use that or probably less if tides were used to there max.

I've been doing some calculations

If you do

14knts @52litres per hour to do 64 miles it would take you 4 hours and use 218 litres

20 knts @ 65litres per hour to do 69 miles it would take you 3 hours and use 195 litres

So if my calcs are right it would pay you to do 20 knots

Am l right? Or have I missed something???????

Come on you retired teachers please check

14knts=16mph x 4 = 64 miles which is

52 litres x 4 = 218

20knts = 23mph x3 =69 miles which is

195 litres x3 = 195 litres

Any thoughts?

On Y -Knot without tide considerations, I burn around 1.2ltrs  per mile at about 20 knots. So not to bad, I have a 150hp Yamaha which I am very pleased with. For distance travel I would work on 1.5 ltrs per mile which seems to be about average. Jerry the commercials are buying petrol at a fraction to what you pay at the pump, hence the move to outboards.