JoJo gets some attention

Rob

Having taken JoJo to Devon on our usual holiday in May, I had some running niggles.

I ended up able to happily use her daily (if not more) during the week but was needing to get to the bottom of the issues.

Firstly, the pickup pipe in the Yamaha tank was bent, so I concluded it folded and closed more under high speed manoeuvres. This was priced by cutting out the bend and testing with a full tank, job done. Popped to the local Yam dealer and picked up a new pickup (£15 or something).

Secondly, a couple of the plugs looked too rich, so backed off the tickover mixture and all we ok but not perfect.

With an impending trip coming up (fingers crossed) I thought I'd get this sorted, or at least try.

Having owned her for what will be 11 yrs shortly (I do like to buy right first time!), plus she suits my needs perfectly I have never touched the carbs.

The Yam was a yr too early for injection but she has been reliable thus far.

So, carbs, not 1, 2 but 4 to strip, clean, service and stick back together.

I read the manual, watched some YouTube vids and I was ready.

Dismantling was fairly easy and the cleaning etc. blowing air though this and that and above all keeping everything very clean.

Order was the order of the day and each carb was broken down in the same way and each carb kept separate from another.

With c.130 pieces on the workbench I ordered some gaskets.

Now, being a Yam, I always try Crescent Yamaha the motorbike dealer down the road. They always ask, "which bike is it for" then we talk part numbers. More often than not, they have been able to help. These carbs are obviously used or at least parts are on a bike somewhere.

Last time I needed some O rings from servicing the hydraulic lift, the Bike Shop were way cheaper than the Outboard agent. Plus very local to me and parts in Europe take 2 days after order to arrive.

Armed with the o-rings and gaskets I re assembled the carb bank and replaced all the fuel hoses.

I also pressure tested the fuel pump and all was good.

This morning I reassembled an she burst in to life instantly, hasn't been that instant for a little while. Phew i thought.

Ran her until hot and then got the carb balancing dials out and all nicely setup. If anyone wants to borrow please just ask.

Another job ticked off the list and I quite enjoyed it, especially the satisfaction of hearing it fire first time.