The big chapman wedding

Sam

morning all,

as most of you know me and Eileen got engaged earlier this year and are planning to get married in august next year, well looking into wedding essentials (essentials for Eileen not to kill me) it looks like I am in the wrong business, should have been a wedding planner licence to print money.

as this is all new to me I was wondering if anyone had any useful contacts that they have used before or have had good experience with, anyone who knows me will know I am tighter than a pair of skinny jeans on fat chick so will be looking for a good deal.

current areas we are looking into (no doubt this is the short list before I get handed the long list) but need to get it right as only plan on doing it once

photographer

wedding cake

Bridal party Hair

Bridal party Makeup

suit hire

invites

all ideas welcome or any additional things I have missed off the list.

going for a lie down in a dark room now

sam

Hi Sam

We got married in Studland a few years ago and used local people/companies for most of it. Will ask Jess to dig out the details. It's a bit like boats in that they hear the word 'wedding' and add a 0 to the price.

Suit hire we used Austin Reed, they did a groom goes free when you hire for the rest of the wedding party - as they've just gone bust maybe they'll be selling off their hire stock?

Invitations we made our own, sourced the bits from Cards and Pockets in the USA, really efficient and much cheaper than over here - http://www.cardsandpockets.com/

Photographer was a favour from a close friend so can't help you with that, but the cake was made by someone local so will find out for you.

Oli

EDIT:

Cake - Jenny Budzinski - http://miss-ingredient.co.uk/- was fantastic

Hair - Tracy - http://brideshair.co.uk/- obviously I didn't get involved with this but Jess and the girls loved her and would highly recommend.

My daughter got married 5 years ago

We used Upton country house for the venue for the wedding and reception

Cost at that time was £1300 for the whole of the ground floor from 9 am to 12 mn

They also did the catering at reasonable cost

I spent £1000 on suit hire for 7 guys

Why not go to Tescos and get a suit for £80 each, they look reasonably good

Tony

Blimey !

The prices have gone up since I did my Henry VIII impression.  :P

Did our own catering on both of my weddings.

My Mum made dresses for my first lot of Bridesmaids.

I know ! I know !

Shut up you silly old " Botty Burp "   :lol:

As you said Sam " Only intend doing it once "  so make sure you do it properly.  ;)

Jim

Jim likes cake, although wedding cake is a bit expensive.

Go for it Sam, we have a couple of pro video guys at ours too, that was £1300 well spent tbh! The kids like watching the vid!!!

And you can't do it again (with the same person usually) so get a decent photographer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had to pay for both my daughters weddings in recent years. I didn't get much financial help from the grooms side for either event, in one case they just paid for the suits. So I suggest shifting costs away from the Chapman side!

The second was marquee and my daughter organised everything, a marquee is not a cheap option but it seemed like it to start with....

Recommendations to save on cost.

Keep the guest list count down to say only people you and Eileen actually know....

Marry off season, my first was in March, got the venue, a country house for free just had to pay for the meals and went for buffet style hot food which they would only accept early season. Most guests stayed at the venue (in Wales) so they made their money that way. The guests thought it must have cost a fortune but it didn't.

Use a champagne substitute, saves and very few can tell.

Get someone in the family to make the cake. Diane did the ones for ours, they were great, there was some practice ones are well . Also a good talking point at the event.

Use a photographer who will let you have the digital copies.

Remember it is Eileen's big day, the groom just has a supporting role.

Hi guys thanks for the advice and suggestions we have sorted the venue of merley house after viewing it it was a no brainer for us as a beautiful venue and when they offered to include 400 quids worth of flowers it was a deal made.

A big part of it for Eileen is the photos she is photo mad and will want a good photographer. Adam that would be great if you could put us in touch.

Just trying to sort the dj out today and I think we may have sorted the cake so slowly getting there.

• 2 weeks later...

An ex work colleague of mine from 10 years or so back runs a wedding and photography business. Based in Christchurch area.

Jon Roach

FourT4

@FourT4 on twitter and he is in my friends list on FB.

They have a website you can check out.