a day afloat

doggie detector

Hi all, I am new to this forum so this will be my first post. Yesterday me and my dad managed to get out on our 16ft Orkney fastliner launched from baiter. We headed out to a few wrecks that we had spotted on the chart software we have at home. Drove over a few of them to see if anything would show on the fishfinder but only very slight undulations....thought we would give it a go anyway. Out went the anchor with a big bag of mackerel heads and guts..prepared the evening earlier :) The tide was racing through and I could only just hold bottom. I had a dogfish and what I though were probably bream bites. However the tide strengthened further and neither of us could even get the weight to the seabed, so we moved off to Bournemouth pier. The fishfinder was a new bit of kit so we were looking to find a reef that, from what we've been told, is somewhere directly from the end of the pier. We did find a small bump on the seabed but unfortunately couldn't get it again to mark the GPS coordinates :( we fished for a bit in the general area- one bite on ragworm and a few scad/mackies on feathers was all there was so we moved on towards southbourne. We went over to the site of a sunken hovercraft on the way but couldn't find it. Closer to the shore we drifted for a while, then went in search of southbourne rough as I have heard this can be a good mark. Nothing on the fishfinder that we could see though. As we saw hengistbury head in the distance we though we may as well try Christchurch ledge as it wasn't too far. A small cluster of boats where fishing so we anchored up just on the northern edge of them. A few mackie were around as well as small pollack and pout which where taking the micro feathers- tried using them as live bait but nothing came from it. I did however catch a 2lb 4oz wrasse on a big ragworm, which but up a really good fight on my 20lb class outfit. Apart from another wrasse that was it so we moved on heading in the general direction of home. We stopped off at one of the Bournemouth beaches in search of plaice of which there were plenty. We had 6 in total ranging from around 10oz to 1lb and a bit, great fight for their size and should also be great tasting!

It was a beautiful day to be out and test all the new gadgets and repairs that we have done to the boat....and some fish about to! Thanks for reading, I see now I may of made this post a bit wordy...but ah well!

Hi Doggie

Nice first post.

Not sure chumming will bring you noticeable results in Poole bay, but you never know.

Have a look at the online navionics maps, may give you an insight into the sea bed. There is also a website worth looking up. DORIS. Marine mapping. There's a few reefy bits close in, Durley and Bournemouth rocks, and the Poole Patches.

Looking forward to your next post,hopefully with something bigger :)

Dont forget 50% of our fish, bottom dwelling fish dont show up on the fish finders, if you have a fish holding bank or mark give it a go.

As the safety officer for the club we are always careful to point out that training and VHF radio licenses are essential when going to sea and life jackets should be worn at all times. Make sure your jackets are tested each season, as Brian said join the club and be safe out there amongst fellow club members.

Also as an observation on your post,  we are on last quarter tides before neaps you should have no difficulty holding bottom in the bay  on 8oz leads, are you fishing nylon straight through or braid?

Hi Doggie

Nice first post.

Not sure chumming will bring you noticeable results in Poole bay, but you never know.

Have a look at the online navionics maps, may give you an insight into the sea bed. There is also a website worth looking up. DORIS. Marine mapping. There's a few reefy bits close in, Durley and Bournemouth rocks, and the Poole Patches.

Looking forward to your next post,hopefully with something bigger :)

thanks I will look into it! 

As Membership Secretary I'd be failing in my duties if I didn't suggest that you and dad join the club, I'll send you an info pack via a personal message.

thanks, we are definitely considering joining

Dont forget 50% of our fish, bottom dwelling fish dont show up on the fish finders, if you have a fish holding bank or mark give it a go.

As the safety officer for the club we are always careful to point out that training and VHF radio licenses are essential when going to sea and life jackets should be worn at all times. Make sure your jackets are tested each season, as Brian said join the club and be safe out there amongst fellow club members.

Also as an observation on your post,  we are on last quarter tides before neaps you should have no difficulty holding bottom in the bay  on 8oz leads, are you fishing nylon straight through or braid?

we always carry a VHF radio and wear life jackets so no need to worry :) I use braid but we only had 5oz weights with us,it didn't help having a big bait either. My dad had mono on so he didn't really stand any chance!

I also think the very inshore wrecks have long since gone flat and I am sure that some have recovered.

You may find the odd Valentine tank which may hold an odd conger and pout but the more productive wrecks are a fair way out unless to go West around to Swanage but then you have to watch out for divers!

The problem we have all found is that during the storms of a couple years ago many of the features that most knew changed so the charts are no longer as accurate regarding the contours, keep an eye on your fish finder to find "fishy" looking spots. Just that it may not fish one day the next it could hold the PB of a lifetime so keep trying.

Nice report by the way

Dave

I suggest you have a stock of leads up to 1 1/2 lb. That should sort you out for round here. Some places are still unfishable at anchor with 1 1/2 lb at certain tides but IMO using any more is just no fun so I just don't fish them when the tide is really pushing.

If you were a member and have the facility to smelt lead, we have a stock of lead moulds.

So if you join, let me know if you want to borrow them, there is a list of what is in each set (1 set of lead moulds and 1 set of wrecking\pirk moulds).

Rob (keeper of the moulds)