Groundbait ..... again

Wedger

Well chaps I've got a new supply of fish magnet that perhaps some of you would like to try. Have to say it works quite well for me. wink.gif but I've only used it under few conditions thus far. Feel free to email me if you wish to know more or try some. Bream are on the way! biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Sorry chaps for not replying sooner. I've just made up the first batch with some new equipment and all appears to work well. I'm going to put up lots of 5, 10, and 20kg packages hopefully to address all requirements. The magnet is based on finely ground oily fish and frozen into blocks. The block could obviously be pre-thawed and had dispensed over the side but I prefer to stick it in a net sack and let the sea thaw and dispense into the tide.... much cleaner and keeps the trail running. The cost is really going to be affected by speed of processing (labour) and storage however, I would hope to get the costs down to about

wedger - would definitely like to try some in late April - happy to take a few members out one day for a 'heavy session' using a fair bit of the stuff - and also despite your offer, I am sure we could make a contribution. You could of course come out yourself!

Hi Wedger

I was fortunate to spend a month in New Zealand a couple of years ago after being invited by agood friend and ex Member of the Club who has emigrated out there.

They swear by groundbaiting out there and would not even fish from the shore without using it.

They package the stuff sold in shops Frozen in polythene tubes, some brands are even in meshing tubes inside the polythene, all you have to do is peel off the plastic attach a line to the mesh bag and put it in the water.

Even the small boats out there are rigged for using these groundbait bombs. they have hard plastic tubes fitted to the transom, top is open, bottom is below the water line and is closed with holes around the base to let the groundbait out.

You simply buy bombs without the mesh bag, strip off the plastic outer and drop it in the tube to defrost from the bottom.

The above info may help you in how to package your groundbait, please contact me if you want to go more in depth.

I came back from NZ determined to try more groundbaiting, but have not really tried that much.

I would be interested in giving your groundbait a try, especially when the bream arrive, or maybe when the tope do [ I have other methods for use in deep water] where we were using it in NZ a heavy weight was oly 2 ounces, not the 32 ounces we have to use at times.

Good luck with your venture

Charlie

Hi all

Wanted: Volunteer freezer space please.

I have arranged with Trevor "wedger" to colect some of the Magnet groundbait material this Saturday. I am not sure of the quantity being collected but will probably need more freezer space than I have available so need to offload some on the day for distribution later.

I will try and distribute what I collect fairly/evenly between those that have posted previously, but please note that in return you will have to file a report on your success or lack of on this forum. This condition is not negotiable, so success or failure please report.

Cheers

Martin

OK chaps I'll try to have a weigh up to see what there is, and in what sized packages. This will be a bit rough and ready for the trial period as I don't want to invest in pretty boxes at all, and the right size and shape boxes only when you guys tell me what is convenient. The value needs to be in the fish you catch not in the smelly box you throw away sick.gif . I have 5 x 1kg and 2 x 2.5 kg + a 10kg booked for the Weymouth ankle biters. the rest are between 10-20 and a magnum 30kg for the 'Heavy session' ohmy.gif Don't forget that the larger the block (shape dependent) melts more slowly weight for weight. Think about the science a bit when deciding your preference unsure.gif

Cheers Trevor

wink.gif

Hi all

As Trev has said I picked up the bait magnet on saturday. Bob F has some in his freezer, Charlie has some in his and I have some in mine. If anyone would like to give it a try on the Bream then let one of us know and you can have some.

Incidently Trevor works on a trout farm and he showed me around whilst I was there. Well I was impressed with the little trout, they got very excited when we went over to their pool, but I was more impressed with the breeding stock, wow trout from 2lb up to 18lb, I'm giving up sea fishing and taking my rods to a lake near you laugh.gif