Prop damage, possible cable stretch??

Ianh87

Morning all,

I'm after a bit of advice for possible issues relating to the engine.

Managed to damage the prop a couple of weeks ago, think we caught the top of a rock among the moorings on the way back in; usually marked with a buoy but apparently this has come away and we found out the hard way!

The prop has since been replaced but the last trip out, noticed that the throttle arm didn't seem as responsive as normal and need a lot of extra effort to pick up speed. I'm wondering if the damage to the prop, caused the throttle cable to stretch and as a result, give the issues listed above?

Has anyone else been unfortunate enough to hit the prop and get the same problems??

Cheers

Ian.

Hi Terry,

Thanks for coming back to me. When the prop was fitted, they said the shaft for it was fine and not bent.

I think I might have confused things a bit, when I said unresponsive, it is almost as though there is a large piece of slack between the arm going into drive and then pulling on the throttle cable.

If you were to look at the sidearm controls, side on with the arm being at 12 o' clock, it feels like there is slack until you hit 10 o'clock, which leaves minimal amounts to control speed; if that makes sense?

Boat type? Engine? Inboard I presume?

Did they fit the same size prop? Same pitch? Check against the old one incase the old one had been re-pitched (it would still say 15x15 ect but could be smaller / different size)

Hi

It's a merry fisher 580,with a Suzuki 90 out board.

The prop is the right one, we took the information from the old prop and we had it fitted by Yellow Penguin who said all was ok.

So this is why we think it is just a cable that needs adjusting

But i have been wrong before the wife told me :lol:

just how much force was involved in this incident?

I'm trying to work out how an impact to the propeller can  influence the throttle cable attachment - short of a huge catastrophic force being involved!

The attachment is part of the engine head rather than the boat, so the engine can move without affecting it.

Obvious answer is to reset the throttle linkage to manufacturer's specification in the first place, and in so doing maybe something will become apparent.

Hi

Remove the cover off of the engine and locate the gear change and throttle controls on the end of the two cables.

the easiest check is to move the throttle lever and see what happens, the gear change should move first and when fully engaged the throttle control should start to move immediately after.

a better check is to disconnect the cable linkages at the engine end and see if you have excess play in the throttle cable [which sounds like the case] if so you need a new cable the same length and type.

Probably a "morse" cable, you may need to remove the old one to get exact length [if you do put a cord through as you extract the old one, so it can be used to pull the new one through], the type is usually shown by the sleeve colour

Probably nothing to do with hitting the rock, but could have been done I suppose when investigating what had happened

Hope that helps

Charlie

I think it's more than possible the cables have moved/ stretched when the engine was fully tilted while changing the prop.the adjuster sits on a simple slide, the cable 'nipple' then slots into a location pin , the cable was designed never to be under full tension for exactly this reason.

It's also possible that the cable has come out of the throttle control guide on the control end , both a very, very easy fix.