Undulate Rays - Protected Species

Coddy

Hi all

It was asked at a Wessex AT meeting about catching Undulate Rays and the AT stance on it for South Coast fisherman

This was the reply:

The Undulate Ray is a Prohibited Species in commercial fisheries - with no targeting, retaining, transhipping or landing of the ray permitted in ICES areas VI, VII, VIII, IX and X. The Undulate Ray is also a key marine species in the UK Biodiversity Action Plan (UK BAP), with management plans in place to encourage expansion of both range and population (http://www.sharktrust.co.uk/en/undulate_ray_results).

With regards to the Angling Trust’s policy on Undulate ray they recommend “Undulate ray are classified as endangered. We recommend that all fish are returned alive” (http://www.anglingtrust.net/page.asp?section=163&sectionTitle=Legal+Minimum+Landing+Sizes+For+Sea+Fish

Dave

I'm told by French anglers that many French commercial fishermen skin them at sea to avoid the risk of detection. I watched the Carteret fleet return the other day, and all fish and shellfish were transferred straight into white vans. I was told its the same everywhere here now.

So, unlicenced, unregulated, unmonitored, with no records or understanding of the impact on stocks. It looks like the French aren't even paying lip service to the rules.

Mike

Cant copy and paste the link but the report is easy to find via google- looks like the unddulates are restricted to smallish local populations within their range so once they are gone from an area its unlikely they would re populate it,

Our area is one that has always had a reasonable population so until the ban I never realised we were lucky in that respect. Since the ban the average size has gone right up so it seems our commercials are taking notice of it.

It is my impression there are more around as well. We are certainly catching a fair few on my boat from many different locations.

As for small ones I don't remember ever having catching any much below 10lb. Be interesting to get other members views.

Steve,

Adding the increase in numbers overall makes all the difference to the report. The avereage size in a given area could be influenced by many things not least simply the suitability of the marks to hold any given size. Be nice to know where the little ones are just to broaden our knowledge / understanding.

We are in fact very lucky to get these

When I lived around Portsmouth we did not see many

I moved to this area 25 years ago started catching them quite often, and back then they did not have a specimen size listed with the NFSA

after we started reporting them they were given a specimen size of 14lb.

Lots of us now seem to beat that size fairly easily

Have I told you about the one......................................... Lol [Just for you Rob]