Hi to all

NickM

Hi All,

Just recently moved to Poole (Hamworthy) from Peterborough. Have bought a boat (Shetland 535) and done my RYA Powerboat level 2. Need to do the VHF course as well. 

Have very fond memories of charter boat fishing in my single days but not a lot of experience with small boat fishing and positioning over marks. so n all-round newbie!

At the moment doing mainly drifting off Old Harry on the spoil ground or out on Poole patch.

Any tips and advice would be really appreciated as we are only really getting mackerel to feathers and the very occasional Black Bream on worm and squid tipped along the bottom.

Cheers

NickM 

Welcome Nick!

Best way to learn is to for out on other club boats or take an experienced club member with you. If you do that your learning will be 100x quicker.

Dave S is organising a discounted VHF course for club members, search for training etc.

Keep an eye on the forum for guys wanting crew or offer your services as crew regularly!

Rob

Oh I'll crew for anyone and pay my way with fuel costs in return for learning from experienced boat anglers! Often free midweek!

Thanks for the prompt info and welcome Rob.

Going out tomorrow with my eldest son but with wind direction and strength will be staying fairly close inshore below the cliffs unless you have a better recommendation?

NickM

Welcome to the club Nick. 

I have updated your forum status so you now have full access to all areas of the site.

By taking full advantage of membership your learning curve will be much improved, volunteer for everything and come to a meeting or two and meet the lads, most of them are friendly....honest.

Martin

Club general dogs body :rolleyes:

Going out tomorrow with my eldest son but with wind direction and strength will be staying fairly close inshore below the cliffs unless you have a better recommendation?

NickM

W/NW winds will be blowing more or less straight off the shore but might be a little blowy however ok close in say up to 2 miles but getting more un pleasant the further of you go (obviously)

Martin

Hi Nick welcome to the club

I am the Safety Officer of the club so if you need any RYA training courses let me know as I can arrange special prices for club members.

As also been said previously I have posted a list of general areas to help new members or those new to the area where you could try spots when looking for fish.

You might have read in other posts that a trawler has recently been sweeping the bay so I suspect the area will be devoid of fish for a while! :-(

I also have a Shetland 535 but is overdue for a trip out as it has not seen the water for 18mths apart from rain! ;)

Dave

Hi Nick welcome to the Club

As others have said joining is probably a huge short cut to increased knowledge and a few more fish

Try starting around the spoil area

Anchor uptide of a feature so that after paying out lots of warp you remain uptide of it.

Use downtide fishing tactics, mackerel or squid baits and you should get a few decent fish

Good luck

Charlie

Hi Nick,

I will be out today from about 1100 on Missus Bee. Quite new to Poole area as I have only recently moved the boat over from Gosport, but have found a few marks. The boat is at Davis Boatyard (next to cobs), will be doing the sme as you and staying close inshore.

How did you get on?

Hi Nick welcome to the Club

As others have said joining is probably a huge short cut to increased knowledge and a few more fish

Try starting around the spoil area

Anchor uptide of a feature so that after paying out lots of warp you remain uptide of it.

Use downtide fishing tactics, mackerel or squid baits and you should get a few decent fish

Good luck

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Thanks that's really helpful. We did go out over the spoil ground yesterday but only on the drift so mackerel in the main. Once the tide dropped off and to get a bit of shelter we came in onto Poole patch but apart from troublesome small pollack and pouting we didn't see anything of note! 

Will follow your suggestion next time.

cheers

Hi Nick welcome to the club

I am the Safety Officer of the club so if you need any RYA training courses let me know as I can arrange special prices for club members.

As also been said previously I have posted a list of general areas to help new members or those new to the area where you could try spots when looking for fish.

You might have read in other posts that a trawler has recently been sweeping the bay so I suspect the area will be devoid of fish for a while! :-(

I also have a Shetland 535 but is overdue for a trip out as it has not seen the water for 18mths apart from rain! ;)

Dave

Thanks Dave!  I've done the RYA2 Powerboating course. I don't see any value in doing more for the day skipper ticket. Do need to do the VHF course though! I'll watch out for info on courses.