Engine stolen from my boat!!

LilBrit

Apologies to the moderators for posting this in a couple of different sections but I wanted to get the info out as far as possible.

We have had the 115hp Optimax stolen from the back of the boat last night while it was parked up on the trailer in our paddock. The scumbags also stole my Ifor Williams trailer, chainsaw and the kids quad bike. mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

So if anybody is offered a second hand Optimax that sounds a bit dodgy please do let me know.

Paul

Any "Travellers" in the area recently?

Been a spate or robberies in the local area recently, I'm expecting them back to get the ride on lawnmower, motorbikes and rotavator that I've just been doing up.

Police never seem to find a clue or have any idea where the stuff goes to. One of the neighbours had a car fitted with a tracker stolen, tracked it himself to the pikey site where it was "resting" and called the police, they turned up but wouldn't go in, when the guy said he would go in and fetch it himself they said he would get arrested for trespass.

Is it just me or do we live in a seriously f**ked up country??

I have DataTag'ed my setup - there are microchip transponders in the engine, hull and trailer.

I think DataTag even equipped the police with the scanners to identify and locate the tags.

My Electronics also carry identifying stickers and that liquid dna \ data dots that you mention.

All registered with DataTag and if I sell her it is

I think the attitude of the local Police force where you are is no different to the experience I had when I had my boat done over - report it for the statistics, file it and forget it.

Twice or more, I've contacted the Police with my crime number and been told 'the officer' is not on duty, or "I will pass on the message and he will contact you". Did he ? fxxx !

Firstly, they are just too thinly spread, and secondly this sort of crime is given an exceptionally small profile by the government. That is, no one was hurt or injured, and the goods are insured, so someone will pay for it in the end - not the Police.

The reaction from my insurers when asked whether they would pay if it happened again, was "well sir we can confirm you are covered". They didnt seem the slightest bit interested or were unable to say more than, "well if you lock it up and put an alarm on it, that would be a good idea."

Until we start to have a collective voice, nothing will change - in fact its likely to get worse.

I would like to see the prosecution make a case for trespass when your mate recovered his car and provided evidence of theft. This is again typical of the Police response in 'avoiding a breech of the peace with minimum risk of having to fill out any paperwork'

I would also like to see someone from dorset marine crime unit come to the club meeting and explain it all to us.

Then we should raise it with our MP and get the insurers to fund the marine crime unit resources.

Hope you get the Insurers to meet your claim - I know how you feel.

Paul

We had the guy from Dorset Marine police at the sea safety thing we went to recently. He seemed like a good bloke.

Can anyone get hold of him to come to a meeting ?

Jim

Jim

I've been in touch. At the moment all their time appears to be taken up with preparation for the Olympics.

Here's the reply I got.

Dear Brian

Our Marine Section officers would normally give talks on boat security/crime prevention. However, I believe they are very busy at present and unlikely to be able to commit to this. I will ask them what information/presentations they may have and see if they can pass to me. I may then be able to assist with some advice for your members.

Yours sincerely

PC 1721 Simon Bridge

Parkstone, Penn Hill &Canford Cliffs

Safer Neighbourhood Team

JESB

Wimbourne Road

Poole

BH15 2BP

Edited by Brian

Absoutly gutted for you Paul

Its a shame that these bastards think its OK to help themselves to other peoples hard earned property, and the police do little about it.

I know you have a second boat, but that is not the point.

Good luck with the Insurance claim.

On the marine police , i was chatting too the manager of portland marina regarding the olympics and 150 police ribs will be there in the summer (for three months not just while the event is on) so i wouldnt expect any marine police precense in poole for a while.

Edited by Matt

On the marine police , i was chatting too the manager of portland marina  regarding the olympics and 150 police ribs will be there in the summer (for three months not just while the event is on) so i wouldnt expect any marine police precense in poole for a while.

Probably best to live onboard your boats for the duration then guys. The bastard thieving pikeys are bold enough when plod are supposed to be about, WTF will it be like when they've announced they won't be!!!

Apparently the Optimax electronics box has a record of the serial number so once Barrus have alerted the dealers it should trigger if the new owner (sic) tries to get it set up or serviced at a main dealer. It's probably not even in the country by now and trailer theft is so rife that the likes of Ifor Williams are tripping over themselves to run a database of owners to reassure customers that there is a chance of getting their trailer back once stolen.

Not sure what the recovery rate is, I'd guess it ain't too impressive.

Seriously naffed orf by the whole experience to be honest. sad.gifmad.gifmad.gif