Weds 29th

bassncodformeplease

Mike(about time youwentoutonyoureboat) as phone call I'll be out tomorrow with mate new to boat fishing so I'll have my hands full but you're welcome to squeeze on.But would be great for you to get a cod on your boat otherwise you're wife will think they all only come from mine laugh.gif

Give me a shout on 6 and if I don't hear you phone me.

Nige

Aired on the side of caughtion and decided not to go out, The fact i cannot see the river which is less than 200m away and my lack of experience made my mind up very quickly.

Best paint the bathrooms ceilings and save the pass out for another day.

Mick

Good call Mick.

We went out in it yesterday with 2 chart plotters on the go and it was very scary. It was my first venture in the fog and it will be my last deliberate one! I assumed it would be easy to follow my previous lines on the plotters but it is completely different when you have no references you can see.

Save the credits for when you can enjoy it :-)

Went out and the fog was thick,3 boats were coming back in on our way out through the harbour

But we pressed on at a gentle pace with visibility about 10ft dropped hook on Dolphin sands and straight away caught 7 whiting and some pout but that was it for a while until I had some interest on my cod bait but unfortunately it took me uptide and my braid snagged and broke......oh well.

My mate enjoyed his first boat trip and can't wait to go again.

Pulled the hook at 1 and pottered back home without any problems,but I think I'm going to buy myself broadband radar as I wouldn't want to do any distance in those conditions.

Mike (wantacodnpeeplease)was also out there somewhere

Nige

I met Mike and Dom on the slip about 8.20 and then off on my own.

Fog was more mist ... all damp and drippy !! Without cabin and glass in the way, vis was better than it seemed [ about 50 m.] No probs following buoys out of the Run ... with the swells and breaking wave[let]s giving some aid to orientation.

Out at end of Ledge it was slack water and completely dead for an hour or so........ as tide picked up, some action......mostly dogs and a few jumbo pout [ to 2 - 8 ].. then the tide got faster and a bigger swell arrived [enough to trip anchor!]. By the time I'd repositioned, tide was now carrying masses of red weed; so decided on a move.

Across to the Clan, hoping to get some whiting........but it was DEAD !! One sleepy dogfish and a few nibbles from tiny things.

One of the poorest days for a long time.......with just enough for dinner guests this eve !! .....but at least it was mild and no wind!!

Flounders next !!

Alun.

No great report from Boblin today.

No vis and 5kn out to the spoils! We knew it was bad when we could hear teh chain ferry btu couldn't see it until we were 50yds from it!!!

Bobin has radar but never used in anger - but we did today, for 10 mins until it seemed to trip the fuse or similar!!

We could hear people chatting but not see them until the fog lifted a little, but only to return.

A few whiting to 2:13 kept us amused but no cod!

Vis was about 400yds dropping to 100\50 in the swash.

Nice to be out, not cold, just a bit damp. Zero swell in the lee of Durlston which was ace!

Cheers Col.

Rob

You are welcome Rob just a shame it wasn't one of the better days on Boblin.

As Rob said the Radar packed up I hope it is just a fuse but we decided not to play with it in case it blew anything else. Mind you we were fated as 20 mins after the the radar went the brand new horn I fitted last week also packed up. Never mind there was still the mouth blown horn. We had two plotters running and eventually got the hang of keeping close to a straight line.

Thanks Rob for all your help today next time we will find more fish and hopefully not have the fog.

Colin

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

I hate the fog... its the only thing guaranteed to spoil your day, once you have remembered everything else on the boat, got the wind and tide forecast spot on.. set off... and oh bugger.....

It can even be found mid channel when its perfect vis inshore... and pops up on those calm summer evenings.. suddenly.

I'm sure the answer lies in a number of diferent systems an approaches and not just broadband radar...

rolleyes.gif

Paul

I went out as well - having found getting out and back in ok for the Cod comp, I didn't think it would be any worse.

It was!!! - I managed to get down to the ferry with only 1 minor circular detour / temporary disorientated!

As Colin said - you couldn't see the Ferry until you were about 30 meters away -

Got out alright, but fishing was really slow. Sea really flat - didn't see anyone all day, but heard the odd boat moving about in the distance.

Coming back in the fog closed in again - decided to get in before it got dark.

Crept up to the ferry again and managed to find it with its flashing light and crept past. Went round past Brownsea Castle - Crew now ready on Port and Starboard watch - Suddenly we met Coutance! Bugger me it's BIG when its above you! - biggest brown trouser moment I have experienced on a boat.

You couldn't see it untill it was right on top of you - not only that it was silent!

My understanding of vessels that size, was that they should have been sounding their horn every couple of minutes at it moved through the harbour.

The Pilot was following along behind -m I would have thought that it should have been leading.

That will be the very last time I venture out in the fog!! absolutely definately - never again, Radar or anything else included.

Neal

Edited by Neal

You must have been behind Boblin - the truckline was going down the main channel as we were passing RMYC. We could hear it's horn. But as Colin had a hunch it was to bee out around that time we literally hugged the outside line of the channel - we hopped from green buoy to green buoy, as we woudl expect her to be in teh middle.

I think with a good look out (outside the cabin), sensible speed and expect the un-expected it was OK.

Perhaps the fairly quiet outboards of Boblin helped as but other boats were diesel and easy to hear approaching.

Good to hear we were all safe and sound.

Rob