Land-based activities

charlieannear

Hi All

Are any of you chaps experienced with the above?

I'm not bad with a spanner, but I was brought up on petrol rather than oil burners.

My Pajero seems to think that seeing as it generally travels the highways and byways at a snail's pace then it needs to leave a slippery trail behind it.

I think I need to have a go at sorting it out!

• 1 month later...

Basically the Paj p155es oil out when it's used!

When the vehicle is run, oil is escaping from the engine. When I stop, the escaped oil runs down and drips off the underside, so anywhere I park gets a good covering! It's not dripping constantly (i.e. when engine off), just when engine is running.

I guess I need to clean the engine so I can run it and see where the oil is coming from, then if feasible sort it out.

Rocker cover is prime suspect.

Charlie,

I know Nick's brother had a similar prob with his Scubby - it was the oil seal on the end of the crankshaft - I think it only leaked when running.

I also had a similar issue on the old Golf weep.gif . But with the water pump - the thing lost water when being driven but was OK when parked - I though it could have been the head gasket as no water was ever left on the drive. But in the end I lifted the bonnet with the engine running - when it got hot it sprayed water from the bearing in the pump, but as soon as the pump stopped with the engine it would not leak.

Rob

If the oil is coming from the top of the engine (you should be able to see the trail) then the rocker cover is a very good place to start. Easily fixed with a new gasket and some gasket seal. Make sure you get all the cruddage out of the grooves the gasket will fit into; cleanliness is next the godliness with engines.

If it is dripping from the underneath with no obvious trail coming from above, check under the gearbox. It could very likely be the main bearing oil seal (where the crankshaft comes through to the block and into the gearbox. There is usually a drain hole in the front, underside of the gearbox housing for this to drain out. Again this is not a difficult repair as the ring oil seal is a strong push fit; the only slight problem is getting the old one out but not insurmountable as it doesn't matter if you damage it.

Failing that, you need to determine the variety of oill; engine, geabox, power steering, etc. Usually, with the rocker cover, the top of the engine is covered in a black film of oil where it is blown around and it will usually continue to run downwards when the vehicle is parked and leave drips on the drive overnight. This will happen with the main bearing oil seal in a small way but the bulk is ditched whilst driving through the drain hole.

Best of luck and more details if none of the above. As you know, I'm not down too often but if you get stuck, I'll look in when I am.

Terry.

p.s. Sorry, I didn't spot this post earlier.

Edited by plaicemat

Thanks for the pointers guys.

My plan is to clean the engine and surrounding 'oil collection points' rolleyes.gif and then start from the top of the engine and work down.

Rocker cover and breathers will get looked at, ta.

The engine oil level doesn't drop very quickly, and other levels don't seem to change at all. The diesel level drops pretty quickly though!

Joking aside, I was owndering if perhaps I might have a small fuel leak (as well as oil leak) which is thinning the oil and making it 'go further'?

The other problem I have is currently I'd have to do this owrk on the road... unles my front garden parking space is finished soon!

The other problem I have is currently I'd have to do this work on the road... unles my front garden parking space is finished soon!

We've all been there, done that. It's not an excuse for not doing it. If you have a fuel leak, check all the unions where it joins things like filters, etc., and if nothing there, it will probably be at the injectors or the common rail. If oil and you're not losing much, refer to the previous comments. Remember always, a little oil goes a bloody long way! You are correct, though, that a good clean up will make things much more obvious. A good brush up with Gunk (other engine cleaners are available) and a blast off with a pressure washer will soon reveal the culprit. ph34r.gif BTW, if you're doing it on the road, park upstream of a drain.

Terry.

Charlie

The Pajaro rocker gasket is not one seal

There are 2 half moon gaskets as well, if I recall it is not uncommon for these to move/fail

Worth going onto the Shogun/Pajaro forums for advice.

If yours is a 2.5ltr motor I have new fuel and engine filter plus timing belt sitting in the garage.

Coddy

cool.gif

Yep, mine's a H reg, 2.5 SWB, so those parts would be most welcome!

I'm a member of the Pajero Owners club and have got a lot of gen from their forum (don't tell Paul D that I go on another forum!) including step by step instructions for the Rocker cover gasket and half moon seals. This was done just before I bought the Paj but I don't think it was done very well. There is definitely some oil coming from here but I don't think it's the only source.

I need to clean the engine and then with engine running do the check under the bonnet test. I'll probably come up looking like a coal miner!

• 1 year later...

Well, it's been a while since I first started this thread, but the Paj still trails oil behind it! So I still need to find out where it's coming from. I have done rocker cover and don't think it's crank seals... got a few more suspects though. And a few more jobs to do on it too!

Got quite a few new members since I first raised this, so by any chance is anyone really familiar with Pajeros and/or has a workshop where it doesn't matter too much if oil drips on the floor? smile.gif

Did you clean the engine yet to see where leak is starting from......this will be a

horrible job but will take a lot of guess work out of it blink.gif  wink.gif

Would it be worthwhile getting it steam cleaned to help you, may pay dividends in the end.

Good luck

Gary

Have 'cleaned' it by hand, but not steam cleaned it.

Fewer places do proper steam cleaning these days due to all the regulations- H&S and collection of the run-off. Do you know of anywhere (cheap!) that does proper steam cleaning?

A few places that I've asked have said they can do it, but when pushed they were actually going to use a pressure washer- not the same thing at all... mad.gif

I even thought about getting a steam cleaner from Screwfix and doing it myself (a similar price I suspect) but still got the problem of where to do it where the grot dropping off won't cause a big clean up job in itself.

Dave- got a few different manuals thanks, including a Haynes one.

Terry- oil is dripping off the bell hosing but when wiped off it's actually coming from up in the engine bay, and eventually running down hill to drip off the bell housing.

Been looking at the forums and got a few more suspects for the source, but kinda on the scrounge for pair of experienced eyes and or somewhere dry to do it!

Hey charlie , give Steve King a call at Specialized Vehicle Services 01202 821222, they mainly do pajero's and shoguns, they dont charge the earth either, I am sure he would have it in to see where the leak is coming from, and quote you to repair it , they have loads of old pajero spares too so if something needs replacing you might not need new parts. . At least you will know its done right too rolleyes.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

Mechanic just brought the Paj back to me after I took it down to him to have a look at my gearbox, with a Death Certificate for the gearbox (lack of 1st gear).

So with the other problems that the Paj has got, this means a Death Certificate for the whole vehicle

So if anyone knows of a good 2.5 SWB, preferably not too far from Poole, Dorset, please let me know.

Happy Christmas Everyone!

C.