Spinning Reel

Coddy

Depends on what you want to use it for.

A fixed spool is usually best as it allows very light end tackle to be used, a mutliplier needs a bit of weight to get the spool turning.

I used small 5500 size multipliers on my spinning rods, but then I use them for Bream mainly and they are on the heavier side.

Shimano do some decent fixed spools to suit all budgets. Personally I also like a front drag for sea fishing, it gives a smaller more compact reel and the drag is easier to use when playing a fish.

Having killed a number of fixed spool reels in the last 20 years, the bit that tends to go first for me is the line roller on the bale arm.

Would recommend checking this carefully, and greasing it well before first usage. Any signs of sticking, then service carefully to avoid grooving.

As with other reels, washing well extends lifespan.

Mike

I've been using Shimano Aero Baitrunner reels in sizes from 5000 to 8000 since they first came out for both salmon and sea fishing and never had any problem with them, perhaps because I am quite particular about cleaning and oiling after use. I use them for bass livebaiting and general spinning and would go out and buy another with no hesitation. It is a rear clutch type and I have had no problems with corrosion of this item, ever. I refer to my previous statement regarding maintenance. I commend them to the house.

Now, somebody tell me how wrong I've been all these years and how crap they really are.

Terry.

Dave,

Been looking at the ABU Revo not too sure yet though

anyone else use them?

There a low profile baitcaster with thumb bar with a gear ratio 6.4.1 wich is pretty fast plus 10 bearings and a roller bearing.

i would like to hear views on these...... if any?

Gary