New Club Record Bass....

Adam F

Catering arrangements came after cleaning down boat and tackle. Big meal of fresh pout fillet [don't knock it!!] plus bottle of wine and social interaction with her who hasn't been seen since before dawn.........so I'm late reporting a rather good catch!

But not the Target species!!

I had been confident of getting a couple of cod today and so joined in the comp. Conditions were much better than expected after yesterday's blow ....except there was very little water in the harbour, even at close on 9am. ... and the route out was a bit different, if you could find a way through the [almost breaking] waves on the Bar............mostly due to 'residual swell'

The swell was running much bigger out at the end of the Ledge, but , with no wind, it had little effect on fishing. All manner of muck and rubbish in the water [ most disconcerting was a great big beam of 4 x 2 timber] and the water changed colour every hour.

Fishing was non-stop doggies, punctuated by occasional more interesting fare : congers of varying size up to 20 + , pout [dinner-size rather than 'jumbo'] , a couple of small [very small] whiting and a few monsters [ that remain unknown but seemed most likely big\very big conger] that got themselves off the hooks!! [No break-offs!]

Just when I most anticipated a cod.......a charter boat from Poole turns up and plops itself right alongside !!! ...and joined in the doggie haul. They only stayed half an hour and, just as they left, a decent, and very different, bite had me shouting 'COD -ON'......... it felt 'typical', 'thump- thump' !! give a bit, take a bit!! Good old ABU lever drag worked a treat with every lunge and a good fight brought the fish to the surface. What a shock!!, instead of seeing a golden fat round belly and white, here was a blue/grey beast!! At first glance, 'Oh No...conger'!!, but NO, NO, NO.............Mr. Spikey!!......and I'd never seen one so big!! ...and off it went again. A few more goes to get it up, by which time Rob was ready with the net and, very deftly, scooped it up first go [ only just getting it in!!]. In the rolling swell scales jumped from 16 something to over 20 !! Not just a PB, but something special and sooooooo fat!! Weighed on the slip with two sets of scales it went 18 lbs. 8 oz.

I've sent a few pics to Paul and I'll try to put one here.

post-4-1199059845jpg

Alun,

what a great Christmas pressent, I fantastic fish and climax to this years fishing season, Hopefully things can get better still next year.

I have been in Cornwall for a while now and we have only just gained access to the net so it was great reading your report (first post i read)

Excellent and hope you save that for something special, new years meal for the whole street maybe biggrin.gif

Before the fish came along yesterday, Rob and I were discussing the relative balance of skill and luck.

Luck .....would have determined which of us got the bite

We both hit, and lost, big fish during the day ......that got off the hook

Skill ......choosing a suitable spot; guessing when to stay\or move; how to deploy suitable bait.

Luck .... if the fish are there.

A good dollop of both are needed ........to be consistent......plus putting in the hours [ Gastronaught has logged up nearly 100 engine hours in 16 months].

Alun.